Who wants to be a moderator?

Relax with your friends in The Den.... :satan:
Dennis
Admin
Custom Title: Daddy DenDen

Who wants to be a moderator?

Postby Dennis » 21 Jan 2017, 22:44

As it has been obvious even before Jay's post last month, the moderation team needs some sort of change. While I'm not sure what exactly this means this time (whether voting a whole new batch, picking people, adding a few to the existing team, or something else), it is first of all necessary to find out who is interested at all to do this.

So if you are interested, just let me know in this topic, maybe add a few words on what you think is the most urgent issue at the moment, but no formal application and no deadline this time, just a short "I'm in" in the next few days would do!
JimmyLo

Re: Who wants to be a moderator?

Postby JimmyLo » 21 Jan 2017, 23:49

Can we nominate people? There's a handful of people on here that would be great, fair moderators if they are up for it but they may not put their bid in if they are unsure if they would have support.
littleta

Postby littleta » 21 Jan 2017, 23:54

just a suggestion.... individual mods for the 5 girls forums, but all are involve in the sg forum and the other generals forums
Dennis
Admin
Custom Title: Daddy DenDen

Postby Dennis » 22 Jan 2017, 00:31

JimmyLo wrote:Can we nominate people? There's a handful of people on here that would be great, fair moderators if they are up for it but they may not put their bid in if they are unsure if they would have support.

Feel free to do that, but what interests me most is who is actually interested. It's not the most thankful task, so we need people who are motivated to start with
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 22 Jan 2017, 00:38

Dennis wrote:
JimmyLo wrote:Can we nominate people? There's a handful of people on here that would be great, fair moderators if they are up for it but they may not put their bid in if they are unsure if they would have support.

Feel free to do that, but what interests me most is who is actually interested. It's not the most thankful task, so we need people who are motivated to start with

Understood. Perhaps a more subtle approach via PMs would work best - hopefully I can convince 1 or 2 to do it. I would do it, but my job keeps me completely distracted in Spring/Summer, and I don't think many people are overly fond of me on here.
TeddyBear
Custom Title: hit the lights

Postby TeddyBear » 22 Jan 2017, 01:17

I don't think 'voting' is the best way to go because it just turns into a popularity contest... I think admins should test nominees and decide who's best for the job
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 22 Jan 2017, 04:03

I think mods should be the ones who have been following the forums since the beginning, know the rules and aren't biased. :)
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 22 Jan 2017, 04:47

Stas wrote:I think mods should be the ones who have been following the forums since the beginning, know the rules and aren't biased. :)

Totally - not sure if they should have to have been here since the beginning, but at least for 3 years or so I'd say. It can't just go to anybody - it has to go to someone who actually cares about this place staying a pleasant visit and keeping the garbage under control.
Adam
Mod

Postby Adam » 22 Jan 2017, 13:47

I would happily recommend a member who is active, sensible and respectful of the history of the forum. "Length of service" is nice, but not essential.

Personally I would love someone who is going to generate ideas and enthusiasm to contribute to ensuring the forum remains active! Someone passionate and energetic.
MelSpice
Custom Title: A.K.A. SpiceAus1

Postby MelSpice » 22 Jan 2017, 15:42

I'm happy to join the mods if needed. I've been here since 2002 [old name was SpiceAus1 but lost my profile lol] I'm here everyday and would be happy to help.
James
Custom Title: Legacy member

Postby James » 22 Jan 2017, 17:04

I think what DenDen needs is moderators with a backbone that are firm but fair, keeping the core freedom of speech values but also stamping out these ridiculous arguments between the same users in every thread.

I don't think people should need to be convinced, I don't think there should be a public vote - I think the admins should make the choices. I think length of service and familiar names are important to understand how DenDen worked way back when.

I'd certainly put myself forward - I'm a trained counsellor now and my foreign relations have drastically improved. ;)
Echo
Custom Title: Problem Solver

Postby Echo » 22 Jan 2017, 18:16

I'm in. I've been here years but don't really post as much anymore due to the less than pleasant nature of some users. It'd be good to try and help make it like it used to be again.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 22 Jan 2017, 20:31

I'm in. Not sure if I'd be able to spend as much time around here as I used to, but I speak a lot with Jay about issues happening here all the time, so I'm almost like a "ghost mod" already, helping and advising him with things from time to time.

I've been here since day one, so I know the rules (although I suppose the one about the Beckham's kids needs some update) and despite throwing myself into a lot of "fights" over the years, they have all been "long but respectful" and I'm trying to avoid them for the past months, so...

But only if Jay stays. I don't want to do it alone or with someone else I barely know and have no "chemistry" with, if you get what I mean.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Postby FiaSpice » 22 Jan 2017, 23:03

I'm doing a bit of a Melanie C here. I said I wouldn't come back as a mod, but I'm open to the idea. The only thing is I don't wanna be the only active member dealing with arguments, warning and all this.

I've been here since 2003. I've been a mod from 2009 until 2012. I would enforce rules and not turn a blind eye on some situation, like I always did. But I need a team with me, doing it alone would not work.
Spice & Solo stuff for sale here
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 22 Jan 2017, 23:24

Can moderators ban people? I'll do it if I can get rid of some people.
FiaSpice

Postby FiaSpice » 22 Jan 2017, 23:37

Jamie wrote:Can moderators ban people? I'll do it if I can get rid of some people.

Yes, but it was rare there was a right away ban. People where usually banned after 3 warning.
megzluvsmelc
Custom Title: Beautiful Mind

Postby megzluvsmelc » 22 Jan 2017, 23:40

Jamie wrote:Can moderators ban people? I'll do it if I can get rid of some people.

Yes they can.

Tbh I'd love to do it but my work commitments have keeping me busy and I'm not active as much as I used to. My opinion is that the mod/admin teams should approve the posts to avoid the bullying in the future and spam bots too and they also can ban the spam bots. And yes we will vote for who will be the best mod like we did the last time.

And if I was about to be a mod then I'd do a Melanie C one.
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 23 Jan 2017, 00:04

FiaSpice wrote:I'm doing a bit of a Melanie C here. I said I wouldn't come back as a mod, but I'm open to the idea. The only thing is I don't wanna be the only active member dealing with arguments, warning and all this.

I've been here since 2003. I've been a mod from 2009 until 2012. I would enforce rules and not turn a blind eye on some situation, like I always did. But I need a team with me, doing it alone would not work.

Yes!!
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 23 Jan 2017, 00:08

I think it would depend if your ban was for personal reasons or because the whole community is affected by the people you want to ban.

If the new mod(s) just come in and ban people because they don't like them, this place would fall apart.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 23 Jan 2017, 14:46

Both personal and the whole community are affected by those I'd like to ban.
FiaSpice

Postby FiaSpice » 23 Jan 2017, 15:53

JimmyLo wrote:

I think it would depend if your ban was for personal reasons or because the whole community is affected by the people you want to ban.

If the new mod(s) just come in and ban people because they don't like them, this place would fall apart.

This!
Bans are voted out (unless it's spammers). May I suggest a trip to the old Mod-Log achive.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 23 Jan 2017, 16:44

Jamie wrote:Both personal and the whole community are affected by those I'd like to ban.

You can't ban sammy for being an twat :p
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Andres
Custom Title: HeadBitchInCharge

Postby Andres » 23 Jan 2017, 20:58

I campaigned a couple of times and always lost :p
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 23 Jan 2017, 22:02

Javi wrote:
Jamie wrote:Both personal and the whole community are affected by those I'd like to ban.

You can't ban sammy for being an twat :p

I can and I will :devil:
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 23 Jan 2017, 22:54

I'd be happy to work alongside Jay as a mod if he continues.

Return to “Small Talk”