Is 'Oops..!' considered her BEST album, critically?

Keep on posting till the world ends.
Ian

Is 'Oops..!' considered her BEST album, critically?

Postby Ian » 14 Jun 2012, 12:46

Going by wikipedia - the reviews of that particular album appear to be the best overall of any other album she has released. Is that accurate?
Last edited by Ian on 15 Jun 2012, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger
Custom Title: AKA Joe

Re: Is 'Oops..!' considered her BEST album, critically?

Postby Tiger » 14 Jun 2012, 12:50

I thought Blackout was her most critically acclaimed album?
Dom

Postby Dom » 14 Jun 2012, 12:53

I always thought it was either In The Zone or Blackout. Femme Fatale also had good reviews, but critics commented on the overly-processed vocals and lack of creative involvement.
Melancholie

Postby Melancholie » 14 Jun 2012, 20:07

It's not a bad album, it's quite solid. I remember listening to it time after time for like a year. I think just like any album it has some lower points. But is better than her debut, so I guess that's why it had better reviews.
Dom

Postby Dom » 14 Jun 2012, 20:11

I think Oops! is her worst, if i'm honest. I prefer ...Baby so much more.
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 14 Jun 2012, 23:11

Dom wrote:I think Oops! is her worst, if i'm honest. I prefer ...Baby so much more.

I like Oops! so much better than ...Baby. I hold ...Baby in the same light as I do with Kelly Clarkson's 'Breakaway', where the first half is really good, but the back half is fucking awful. Everything after "I Will Be There" is almost embarrassing to listen to (except E-mail My Heart!) Whereas, I can at least tolerate the first 11 tracks on Oops!...I Did It Again.

Actually, I used to consider Oops to be her best album, even after In The Zone. That was a dark period in my life, though. :p
Charmingspice5
Custom Title: Show Me Love

Postby Charmingspice5 » 14 Jun 2012, 23:56

I really love Oops I think it's my 3rd favorite Britney album after "Britney" & "Femme Fatale" I just think I'm a big fan of bubble-gumish pop music, and I agree with Brandamn that it is better than Baby. The singles from Baby may have been better, but the album tracks on Oops are stronger/better imo than the ones on Baby.
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 15 Jun 2012, 00:03

Charmingspice5 wrote:...but the album tracks on Oops are stronger...

And at least one single is, too. :p
Charmingspice5
Custom Title: Show Me Love

Postby Charmingspice5 » 15 Jun 2012, 00:05

Brandamn wrote:
Charmingspice5 wrote:...but the album tracks on Oops are stronger...

And at least one single is, too. :p

Haha nice catch :p
Ian

Postby Ian » 15 Jun 2012, 16:23

In a recent poll held by MTV News, Britney's sophomore effort, "Oops!... I Did It Again" was voted by readers as the best second album in pop history! This album certified Britney as the fastest selling female artist in the country and has sold over 20 million copies to date.

These were the reviews, according to Wikipedia:

Initial critical response to Oops!...I Did It Again was generally favorable. According to Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album has received a score of 72, based on 12 reviews.[21] Entertainment Weekly's David Browne says the best of the tracks undermine the criticism that all teen pop is merely perky smiles and choreography. A slew of producers and writers, most notably Max Martin, ditch the Tinkertoy feel of Spears' first album and replace it with palpitating, bass-heavy constructs.[27] MTV Asia gave the album 8 stars rating saying "the album has the dodgy title, the fans generally feel that Britney has improved quite a bit, and that this is a brilliant second album. Britney is armed with a more mature and seasoned pop star look, stronger and poppier songs, and of course, extensive media exposure.[28]
The album received generally positive reviews from critics resulting in the reviews being more positive than Spears's previous album. Rolling Stone gave the album a 3.5 rating calling the album "fantastic pop cheese, with much better song-factory hooks than 'N Sync or BSB get", this was a huge step up from the 2 star rating they gave Spears for her previous album.[29] Allmusic gave the album a 4 star rating saying "It has the same combination of sweetly sentimental ballads and endearingly gaudy dance-pop that made ...Baby One More Time".[30] NME reported (with a score of 8 out of 10) that "She's modern-day pop perfection realised in a nearly, human form," though it also refers to her as an "evil genius" and rather cynically compares her music to the addictive drug ketamine, based on the drug's tendency to blank the user's mind and thought processes.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 15 Jun 2012, 18:58

didn't know that album was so well received :D

i still prefer "femme fatale" :D
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 16 Jun 2012, 21:13

Best second album in history lol I think thats hilarious! I would never say that at all, Spiceworld holds that place in my heart which alot of others would find hilarious lol x
Ian

Postby Ian » 18 Jun 2012, 12:02

spicefreak wrote:Best second album in history lol I think thats hilarious! I would never say that at all, Spiceworld holds that place in my heart which alot of others would find hilarious lol x

Yes.
Andres
Custom Title: HeadBitchInCharge

Postby Andres » 18 Jun 2012, 17:16

Dom wrote:I always thought it was either In The Zone or Blackout. Femme Fatale also had good reviews, but critics commented on the overly-processed vocals and lack of creative involvement.

MTE
Oops!... I did it again remains my fav britney single/video. But the album was messy and had so many filler tracks
Last edited by Andres on 18 Jun 2012, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
RadioMix
Custom Title: I Even Smiled

Postby RadioMix » 18 Jun 2012, 17:16

Blackout is AMAZING, her best so far hands down. It had the best reviews.
pinkcupcake

Postby pinkcupcake » 19 Jun 2012, 04:28

FF got amazing reviews
Blackout saw just as good of reviews

Rolling Stones gave FF a better review aswell as give her 4 stars (her 1st album to get that many)
even saying... "may be Britney's best album"
allmusic said ""Essentially a cleaner, classier remake of the gaudily dark Blackout"
B+ from EW
and just to be fair some flop said "voice is as anonymous as ever" :laugh:

Wiki only posted 12 review ratings from Oops era which is why its high 72/100
FF had 25 reviews getting a 67/100
#BritneySpearsQueenOfPOP
Ian

Postby Ian » 19 Jun 2012, 15:32

So is Blackout considered her best or FF?
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 19 Jun 2012, 18:43

Ian wrote:So is Blackout considered her best or FF?

There's no definitive answer to that. It's really all down to opinion. Even if Oops was said to be the best sophomore album ever in the history of the world, that's one journalist's opinion. The next guy might think that her best work was with ...Baby One More Time because of her vocals, and another might think In The Zone is the best because of the amount of creative input she had on the album.

Really, whichever you think is her best album, that's what her best album is. :)
Ian

Postby Ian » 21 Jun 2012, 14:23

True
Think for me it's between Blackout and Femme with In The Zone and Oops... very close behind.
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 21 Jun 2012, 21:24

Ian wrote:Going by wikipedia - the reviews of that particular album appear to be the best overall of any other album she has released. Is that accurate?

OH! You're reading about Oops!...I Did It Again: The Best Of Britney (or whatever). That's a non-official compilation album released by Sony Camden (a division of Sony that releases budget compilations). It's something along the lines of those Millennium Collection / The Essential type compilations, which really have no official connection to the artist themselves.

This is not a Britney Spears endorsed release, despite what you read about on the internet.
BoyV
Custom Title: Thought I wasnt

Postby BoyV » 22 Jun 2012, 00:55

Her first two albums to me are her weakest and are not as strong as the rest. In The Zone to me is her strongest album minus two songs. But, I guess everyone has their personal taste.
Ian

Postby Ian » 22 Jun 2012, 14:08

Brandamn wrote:
Ian wrote:Going by wikipedia - the reviews of that particular album appear to be the best overall of any other album she has released. Is that accurate?

OH! You're reading about Oops!...I Did It Again: The Best Of Britney (or whatever). That's a non-official compilation album released by Sony Camden (a division of Sony that releases budget compilations). It's something along the lines of those Millennium Collection / The Essential type compilations, which really have no official connection to the artist themselves.

This is not a Britney Spears endorsed release, despite what you read about on the internet.

No I was reading about the album

Return to “Britney Spears”