Nicola Roberts - Cinderella's Eyes (Debut Album)

What WILL the DenDeners say?
MauChisholm

Re: Nicola Roberts - Cinderella's Eyes (Debut Album)

Postby MauChisholm » 14 Dec 2011, 03:19

Billboard chose Beat Of My Drum as one of the best songs of the year, at #14
http://www.billboard.com/features/criti ... 1592.story
Tiger
Custom Title: AKA Joe

Postby Tiger » 14 Dec 2011, 13:21

MauChisholm wrote:Billboard chose Beat Of My Drum as one of the best songs of the year, at #14
http://www.billboard.com/features/criti ... 1592.story

WOW!!! Was not expecting that in any stretch of my imagination! Well Done Nic!!!
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 14 Dec 2011, 23:44

Totally deserved <3 What a legend.
TheDoctor

Postby TheDoctor » 15 Dec 2011, 00:37

Stitch wrote:Totally deserved <3 What a legend.

Legend? Really?

How much was this sold by the way, does anyone know?
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 15 Dec 2011, 00:40

Yes, legend. She's a true visionary of music. She hasn't even released in the US yet manages to get attention there. Cheryl actively went there and flopped.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 15 Dec 2011, 00:47

CSweet7 wrote:How much was this sold by the way, does anyone know?

Nicola's sold about 13,000 albums so far, which by all accounts is pretty pathetic, lol.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 15 Dec 2011, 00:59

Sales mean nothing when you're as talented as her <3
MauChisholm

Postby MauChisholm » 15 Dec 2011, 02:30

Yeah, she sold nothing, but Cheryl sold millions, and how many of her songs were featured on a "Best songs of the year" list, in the US, a country where she wasn't even released?
Beat Of My Drum is aslo featured on MTV's 25 best songs of the year. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/167590 ... 2011.jhtml
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 15 Dec 2011, 02:32

QUEEN NICOLA, YOUR FAVE COULD NEVER, BOW DOWN
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 15 Dec 2011, 04:56

The Billboard thing is cool, but it's only the opinion of one/a few writers. Funny how the critics in the main have been so positive, but the reaction from the media and the public was the polar opposite towards it. Verging from indifference to dislike.

I originally wrote a bit of a rant here regarding Nicola and her music, but I've edited it out as it was lengthy and most of it came from me just being in a bit of a mood, rofl. Though what I did write is how I basically feel - on the whole I don't much care for the album anymore, sorry to say! :( She doesn't do much for me. Disappointing.
Tiger
Custom Title: AKA Joe

Postby Tiger » 15 Dec 2011, 11:49

Stitch wrote:Yes, legend. She's a true visionary of music. She hasn't even released in the US yet manages to get attention there. Cheryl actively went there and flopped.

Cheryl actively went there for X Factor (with releasing something i assume later in the year) but she didn't release any record during her time there so that comment is abit redundant.

Jay wrote:The Billboard thing is cool, but it's only the opinion of one/a few writers. Funny how the critics in the main have been so positive, but the reaction from the media and the public was the polar opposite towards it. Verging from indifference to dislike.

This is something i find quite strange. Cheryl slated by critics and sold millions. Nicola hailed by critics but is ignored by the public/radios etc. I think its more indifference than dislike and still having the tag as "that ginger one from Girls Aloud" doesn't do her any favours. As talented as she is you have to admit she doesn't have much of a public presence.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 15 Dec 2011, 17:17

Tiger wrote:
Stitch wrote:Yes, legend. She's a true visionary of music. She hasn't even released in the US yet manages to get attention there. Cheryl actively went there and flopped.

Cheryl actively went there for X Factor (with releasing something i assume later in the year) but she didn't release any record during her time there so that comment is abit redundant.

Yeah but she flopped so hard that she didn't even get a chance to release anything and her job was given to supreme talent and all round saviour, Nicole Scherzinger.
TheDoctor

Postby TheDoctor » 15 Dec 2011, 18:45

I really don't see the fuss about Nicola as a solo artist. I like some of the songs on the album but it's all quite dull, repetitive and nothing the music industry hasn't seen before. And I loved her voice in GA - her Loving Kind solos on the Out Of Control live CD is more than fantastic - but her voice on her album is either sung in that whing anoying tone ( I is a main example) or she goes way too high for her range and it sounds awful ( the middle 8 in Yo Yo).
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 15 Dec 2011, 19:24

She sounds incredible in every thing she does. She's got a fantastic range that most would kill for. People should be bowing down to Nicola, I know I do.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 15 Dec 2011, 20:06

Nicola's voice is often wildly off point. She can't sing as well as she used to be able to, and I feel she's adopted this "indie style" to her voice on purpose. It doesn't sound natural, it just sounds forced. Her live performances of 'I' and 'Lucky Day' in particular are more often than not rather painful to listen to. :x Girl needs to go back to her roots and sing properly.

As for Cheryl. The American media weren't impressed with Cheryl being sacked, and she got great reviews in the couple of episodes she appeared in. They weren't at all complimentary towards Nicole as a replacement. The Rachel Crow drama prompted a new wave of "Cheryl should never have been sacked" comments. Cheryl clearly wasn't sacked due to incompetence, because she held her own on that panel. She was sacked because Fox got cold feet about having a relative unknown involved with the launch of their show, so instead decided to play it safe with a Pussycat Doll instead, who was conveniently waiting in the wings. Nicole's not proven her worth on the show, and I'll be fairly surprised if she's back for a second season to be honest.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 15 Dec 2011, 20:30

Nicole is supremely talented and amazing. As is Nicola. It must be to do with them both having "Nicol" in their names. They should duet. That'd be epic. Imagine how talented and iconic it would be.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 15 Dec 2011, 20:39

Nicole seemed better when she was filling in for Cheryl on the UKs X Factor last year during the Malaria episode, I even thought she was better than Cheryl during those episodes. Maybe X Factor USA should have had Kelly Rowland and the Britsh one Nicole? Nicole also really blew me away on yesterdays Royal variety Show when singing opera - wow, she sure has some voice.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 15 Dec 2011, 20:41

^ Exactly. She's a voice of our generation.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 15 Dec 2011, 21:00

I won't deny Nicole's obvious talents. I enjoy her as a popstar, I have her album, she has a great voice. 'Don't Hold Your Breath' is one of my Top 10 favourite songs of the year too, the other singles are big favourites too.

I agree that Kelly & Nicole are probably on the wrong versions of the show. Kelly often has a vibe about her where she comes across as out of place in a UK setting, whereas Nicole seemed more comfortable here during her 2010 stint. Kelly's more successful & well known in America than Nicole, whereas it's generally the opposite here.

Nicole is fine during the audition stages of the competition, but she's been a mess during the live shows. Can't even come to an opinion between two acts not in her own category. :x

PS: I hope you're probably not being all that serious (though somehow I rather fear you're not joking :p), but a Nicole and Nicola duet sounds like a horrible nightmare. Two artists that couldn't conflict with each other more.
TheDoctor

Postby TheDoctor » 15 Dec 2011, 21:05

Exactly. Nicola would whine over Nicole's voice and Nicole would wail over Nicola's. But although Nicole can tend to over do it she does actually have an amazing voice. The same can't be said for Nicola nowadays. I'm dreading hearing her version of Memory Of You, she's gonna ruin it :(
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 15 Dec 2011, 21:07

CSweet7 wrote:I'm dying to hear her version of Memory Of You, she's gonna turn it into an even bigger pop triumph than it already was :love:

<3
Rocky

Postby Rocky » 18 Dec 2011, 09:02

Seeing the video for Yo Yo and hearing the remix thats on soundcloud has re-ignited my love for Nicola and her music. At first I was expecting a more Dannii Minogue-Neon Night type of creativity but Ive come to the conclusion that its more or less like Girls Aloud's Tangled Up album....just with a lot less money thrown at it.

Return to “Girls Aloud”