Eurovision 2008

Temporary forum to discuss this year's Eurovision Song Contest in Moscow in great detail ;)
Lennu

Re: The Official Eurovision 2008 Topic

Postby Lennu » 25 May 2008, 12:04

To me Spain was hilarious :laugh:
Melancholie

Postby Melancholie » 25 May 2008, 12:06

They need to find a better voting system, this "neighbour adoration" one is really bad, It would be good if people would start voting for song, not for country, not because of some political problems...
Flutey
Mod
Custom Title: DDs Headnurse

Postby Flutey » 25 May 2008, 12:09

Ok, so this year we had the back jury voting aswell and giving an entry for the final... The highest 9 from the people's vote would made it in and then the highest, not in already, voted by the jury would made it in.

The first semi-final, the jury and the people´s vote was the same, but in the second semi-final, there was a Jury joker, which means a country passed to the final, but wasn't voted by people to do so (just the jury).

I always thought that would have been Portugal. but Portugal was SECOND on the second semi-final. The Jury joker was SWEDEN! LOL

From eurovision.tv
The top-9 of this Semi-Final qualified through televoting. In line with the Rules of the 2008 Eurovision Song Contest, the 10th qualifier was the highest ranked contestant in the back-up jury vote who did not qualify for the Final. Therefore, Sweden qualified for the Final and, as such, is ranked 10th.
Flutey
Mod

Postby Flutey » 25 May 2008, 12:16

From esctoday.com

Sweden only finished 12th according to the televoters but still went forward to the final as a jury joker. #10 would have been F.Y.R. Macedonia, #11 Bulgaria. Without the jury, it would have been the first Eurovision Song Contest final since 1976 without Sweden taking part.
Lennu

Postby Lennu » 25 May 2008, 12:18

Flute Player wrote:From esctoday.com

Sweden only finished 12th according to the televoters but still went forward to the final as a jury joker. #10 would have been F.Y.R. Macedonia, #11 Bulgaria. Without the jury, it would have been the first Eurovision Song Contest final since 1976 without Sweden taking part.

Damn, why those judges spoiled my day :D :@
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 25 May 2008, 13:48

Russia should've won in 2003, with t.A.T.u. But I guess there was something 'wrong', when UK gave them 'zero' points, while 'All the things she said' was one of the best selling singles that year. Right. Their song was so much better than Bilan's.

I am happy for Russia, but not for Bilan, because I can't stand him. Awful song and awful performance. Eurgh.

It's quite obvious that someone made sure that Russia would've won, I don't know how, but it happened. Seriously. t.A.T.u couldn't do it and they were everywhere in 2003 and Bilan won? Right.

Btw I wanted Ukraine to win.

My favourites are:

Albania
Ukraine
Greece
Armenia
Sweden
Norway
Tiiger

Postby Tiiger » 25 May 2008, 14:20

I wonder how much Russia paid to win this year? :hum:

Cause the song is crap. And he's so full of himself.
Alec

Postby Alec » 25 May 2008, 15:02

Flute Player wrote:Armenia was very good aswell! I couldn't stop saying "Qele qele" all night, and I have no idea what it means!

It means ''C'mon C'mon'' ;)
Flutey
Mod

Postby Flutey » 25 May 2008, 15:07

Apparently, in turkish it means "Head"... And at some point, it sounds like "Fanny head, fanny head" :grin:
Kirill
Custom Title: Browsing the world

Postby Kirill » 25 May 2008, 15:51

This Eurovision year impressed me a lot. Quite loads of decent songs and performances.
I'm really happy that Russia Finally won! We did it yessssss!!!
Imo Bilan deserved it (even though i don't like that song much) cuz his previous act with Never let u go was fantastic and it should be #1, but big "joke' have won that time!
I couldn't agree with Stas about Tatu the song was shit, their act was shit, all what they did just crying, not singing!
I love Ukraine act a lot it was hot, Greece- what a hot girl, i luv it, Armeniya - what a voice fantastic!, Turkey, Albaniya, Georgia, Norway were also gr8
Lennu

Postby Lennu » 25 May 2008, 16:05

Well, that 'joke' who beat Bilan last time has rather good career..they have been touring in US with Ozzy Osbourne and manager of Kiss is their manager too :D Okey, i understand that you don't like their music, but calling it 'joke' is little funny..because they have done that kind of music many years and it is not joke to them..
Niina

Postby Niina » 25 May 2008, 16:11

I voted 3 times for U.K. and once for Spain. I guess it wasn't enough. :( I didn't like the Russian song AT ALL!
artziboi
Custom Title: Who owns the throne

Postby artziboi » 25 May 2008, 16:20

Stas wrote:Russia should've won in 2003, with t.A.T.u. But I guess there was something 'wrong', when UK gave them 'zero' points, while 'All the things she said' was one of the best selling singles that year. Right. Their song was so much better than Bilan's.

I am happy for Russia, but not for Bilan, because I can't stand him. Awful song and awful performance. Eurgh.

It's quite obvious that someone made sure that Russia would've won, I don't know how, but it happened. Seriously. t.A.T.u couldn't do it and they were everywhere in 2003 and Bilan won? Right.

Btw I wanted Ukraine to win.

I Agree with everything you said. t.A.T.u or Serebro deserved to win more than Bilan. Ukraine and Greece were better this year, but I'm glad they were at least #2 and #3 :oops:
Stas

Postby Stas » 25 May 2008, 16:22

Lennu wrote:Well, that 'joke' who beat Bilan last time has rather good career..they have been touring in US with Ozzy Osbourne and manager of Kiss is their manager too :D Okey, i understand that you don't like their music, but calling it 'joke' is little funny..because they have done that kind of music many years and it is not joke to them..

I wouldn't call them a 'joke', but their music is nothing special and a lot of people think that it's crap. It's all because of image and I think they're quite embarrassed that after the Eurovision song contest even 4 year-olds like them. LOL. Thank God, Nightwish said 'no' to Eurovision.
Stas

Postby Stas » 25 May 2008, 16:24

*KIRILL* wrote:I couldn't agree with Stas about Tatu the song was shit, their act was shit, all what they did just crying, not singing!

Again, it's not about the song, it's about the band who just put Europe on its knees with 'All the things she said', if you know what I mean.
Lennu

Postby Lennu » 25 May 2008, 16:27

Stas wrote:
Lennu wrote:Well, that 'joke' who beat Bilan last time has rather good career..they have been touring in US with Ozzy Osbourne and manager of Kiss is their manager too :D Okey, i understand that you don't like their music, but calling it 'joke' is little funny..because they have done that kind of music many years and it is not joke to them..

I wouldn't call them a 'joke', but their music is nothing special and a lot of people think that it's crap. It's all because of image and I think they're quite embarrassed that after the Eurovision song contest even 4 year-olds like them. LOL. Thank God, Nightwish said 'no' to Eurovision.

I agree with you in that. Nightwish has been earlier in Finnish finals.. :D Althought i have always dreamed that Tuomas would do song to someone in Eurovision. :$
Kirill
Custom Title: Browsing the world

Postby Kirill » 25 May 2008, 17:03

Stas wrote:
*KIRILL* wrote:I couldn't agree with Stas about Tatu the song was shit, their act was shit, all what they did just crying, not singing!

Again, it's not about the song, it's about the band who just put Europe on its knees with 'All the things she said', if you know what I mean.

I do agree Stas, it was quite a surprise that Tatu didn't won eurovision, cuz those times they were everywhere.

And commenting once again on the "joke" - it's still for me the same even if they were touring with OZ or Kiss,- a decent rocker won't attend such competition, but to be objective it was a circus on the scene, i was laughing, cuz it all looked not serious, and they won cuz of that reason not talent or smth else! Eurovision is more a poppy contest and i "still believe about talent" lol
Thanx God Nightwith didn't agree to attend this contest, i do respect them and they're a serious band for that competition!
MartinC

Postby MartinC » 25 May 2008, 17:13

This is a joke! So many bad entrys. :death:

And Russia?..come on. Nice to see Greece is a good place atleast.
Ringleader

Postby Ringleader » 25 May 2008, 17:25

Tatu didnt win cause their song wasnt that good to win eurovision.The points they got were cause they are tatu and not cause of the song.Their presentation was really poor in comparison with Turkeys.On the other hand,Sertab's perfomance was amazing.That's why she won.
Ringleader

Postby Ringleader » 25 May 2008, 17:31

It's really interesting to take a look at the semi final results.In the 1st semi final - were the countries were separated and only those that were participating in each semi final could vote - Greece won,Armenia was 2nd,Russia was 3rd.In the final though were all ex soviet countries participated Greece was 3rd,receiving high points only from the old traditional western countries while Russia and Ukraine came 1st and 2nd (while Russia was 3d in semis) as they received most of their points from the fellow ex soviet countries.

Seems the new rule for semis and separating countries that always vote for each other worked but they need a new idea for the final as nothing changes there....Russia received 12 only from the ex soviet countries while countries like Uk didnt give them a single point.

It's really interesting too to see that the country that was "saved" from the national juries and didnt win in televoting was Sweden.Was the wild card of the juries from the semi finals while she didnt get the public votes.She was only 12 in the 2nd semi.
-Claudia-

Postby -Claudia- » 25 May 2008, 17:36

I watched the end of it last night and from what I saw, I liked Norway, Greece and Russia's entries. I don't think the UK should bother entering anymore to be honest. I liked Andy's song but it wasn't a stand out at all, not that we'd get any points anyway even if it was.

I think, in future, they should just get rid of the phone vote and have a panel of judges instead, which I think is what they used to do for the finals.
Lennu

Postby Lennu » 25 May 2008, 17:41

L.Lady wrote:I watched the end of it last night and from what I saw, I liked Norway, Greece and Russia's entries. I don't think the UK should bother entering anymore to be honest. I liked Andy's song but it wasn't a stand out at all, not that we'd get any points anyway even if it was.

I think, in future, they should just get rid of the phone vote and have a panel of judges instead, which I think is what they used to do for the finals.

Yeah, they used to do that, but still they voted neighbouring countries.. :D well, not so much than nowadays..
Flutey
Mod

Postby Flutey » 25 May 2008, 17:51

Interesting is to see that Portugal finished 2nd in the semi-final, and 13th in the final :p

I don't know, a mix of Jury and Public Votes would be good... I knew all along where the votes for Portugal would come from (even though I got some surprises). Portugal gets votes from countries where we have a big Portuguese community, like France, Belgium, The Neatherlands, Spain and Andorra.

No surprise that Portugal gives 12 points to Ukraine, as we have a HUGE Ukranian community in Portugal... Tele-voting can't really be fair...
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 25 May 2008, 18:03

Wogan 'may quit Eurovision role'

Sir Terry Wogan said he may quit as the BBC's Eurovision commentator, as the UK entry sung by former X Factor finalist Andy Abraham finished in last place.

Sir Terry cast doubt on his role after saying this year's results showed it was "no longer a music contest".

Abraham received 14 points for his song Even If, as Russia won with 272 points.

Sir Terry, who has commentated on the competition since the 1970s, said: "Russia were going to be the political winners from the beginning."

Sir Terry Wogan has been Eurovision commentator for more than 30 years
He told viewers: "I think it's tremendously disappointing from the point of view of the United Kingdom.

"Andy Abraham gave, I think, the performance of his life with a song that certainly deserved far more points than it got when you look at the points that Spain got, that Bosnia-Hercegovina got - some really ridiculous songs."

Sir Terry said his producer, Kevin Bishop, was retiring after this year's contest.

"He and I have to decide whether we want to do this again," he said.

"Indeed, western European participants have to decide whether they want to take part from here on in because their prospects are poor."

UK'S EUROVISION RECORD
2008 - Andy Abraham, 25th place
2007 - Scooch, 22nd
2006 - Daz Sampson, 19th
2005 - Javine, 22nd
2004 - James Fox, 16th
2003 - Jemini, 26th

Abraham received six points from San Marino - who were taking part for the first time - and eight from Ireland.

The singer said after the contest: "It's very easy to pick a country that's going to give another country 12 points. It's sad, it's really, really sad.

"It was all talked about beforehand and I decided that I was going to dismiss it. But it's very difficult to dismiss something that's right in your face."

Germany and Poland also received 14 points each, but they officially finished above the UK because their top scores in a single round were higher.

Russia received the maximum 12 points from former Soviet states Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Belarus and Armenia, as well as Israel.

But Sir Terry was generous about the Russian song, Believe, performed by Dima Bilan.

"Let's not take it away from him, let's congratulate him," he said.

The UK has only finished in the top 10 once in the last 10 contests - but has finished outside the top 20 four times in that period.

Early indications were that the UK audience for Saturday night's show was down compared with previous years.

An average of 7.1 million people watched BBC One's three-and-a-quarter hour programme, according to unofficial overnight figures.

Last year's contest was seen by 8.77 million, a total which includes those who recorded the contest to watch it later.
Ringleader

Postby Ringleader » 25 May 2008, 18:12

It's also really interesting to see the voting analysis the biggest eurovision page just did http://www.esctoday.com cut the west european cultured countries with the east ones and we see some very interesting results...

Heres the article:

ImageImage

"Indeed, western European participants have to decide whether they want to take part from here on in because their prospects are poor." said Sir Terry Wogan last night during his commentary for the 53rd Eurovision Song Contest in Belgrade.

Sir Terry, who has commentated on the competition since the 1970s for the United Kingdom, said: "Russia were going to be the political winners from the beginning."

esctoday.com decided to take a closer look at this viewpoint. We decided to separate all of the "western european" countries' votes as labelled by the list of western european countries by the United Nations found here. We also decided to separate all of the "eastern european" countries' votes as labelled by the list of eastern european countries by the United Nations found here. We applied this situation to the Grand Final.

NOTE: Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia are not featured or "labelled" on either of these lists, therefore these countries' casting votes were removed for the sake of argument and fairness. Also, by coincidence, there are exactly 20 "western european countries" and 20 "eastern european countries" featured on each list which participate in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Please note: as eurovision.tv does, we DO take into account the tie-break rule for positions other than the winning. The use of this rule is disputed but generally does not affect the results too much.

The "Western Vote" Result Table:

1. Greece - 96 points
2. Armenia - 93 points
3. Norway - 92 points
4. Ukraine - 84 points
5. Russia - 83 points
6. Turkey - 68 points
7. Iceland - 62 points
8. Portugal - 62 points
9. Serbia - 60 points
10. Latvia - 54 points
11. Bosnia & Herzegovina - 51 points
12. Spain - 50 points
13. Denmark - 44 points
14. Israel - 42 points
15. Sweden - 38 points
16. Romania - 33 points
17. France - 25 points
18. Azerbaijan - 23 points
19. Finland - 22 points
20. Albania - 21 points
21. Georgia - 19 points
22. Poland - 14 points
23. United Kingdom - 14 points
24. Croatia - 8 points
25. Germany - 2 points

Notice on the "western vote" that eventual winners Russia, would have finished 5th, Greece would have come 1st as opposed to 3rd, Armenia would have came 2nd from 4th, Norway would have came 3rd but finished 5th overall, Ukraine would have came 4th but came 2nd overall. But the points differnce between the top 5 countries is close. Germany would have finished last as opposed to the United Kingdom overall.

Now the "Eastern Vote" Result Table:

1. Russia - 161 points

2. Ukraine - 121 points

3. Greece - 104 points

4. Azerbaijan - 102 points

5. Serbia - 95 points

6. Armenia - 94 points

7. Norway - 73 points

8. Israel - 66 points

9. Bosnia & Herzegovina - 56 points

10. Turkey - 52 points

11. Georgia - 50 points

12. Albania - 33 points

13. Croatia - 33 points

14. Latvia - 27 points

15. France - 18 points

16. Denmark - 16 points

17. Finland - 13 points

18. Romania - 12 points

18. Germany - 12 points

20. Sweden - 9 points

21. Portugal - 7 points

22. Spain - 4 points

23. Iceland - 2 points

24. Poland - 0 points

24. United Kingdom - 0 points

Russia finished 1st as in the overall final result. 2nd Ukraine as in the overall final result also. 3rd Greece as in the overall final result, 4th is Azerbaijan who finished 8th overall, 5th is Serbia who finished 6th overall. Poland and United Kingdom shared joint bottom according to the "Eastern vote" which Poland finished 2nd last and United Kingdom came bottom in the overall final result.

THE 12 POINTS

We decided to find which country polled the most 12 points scores (ie. countries who scored 12 points on more than one occasion.)

From the "western vote alone", the top 12 points scorers were:

1. Armenia (4), coming from France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Greece.

1. Greece (4), coming from United Kingdom, Germany, Cyprus and San Marino.

2. Denmark (2), coming from Iceland and Norway.

2. Norway (2), coming from Sweden and Finland.

From the "eastern vote alone", the top 12 points scorers were:

1. Russia (5), coming from Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine and Belarus.

2. Serbia (3), coming from Montenegro, Slovenia and Bosnia & Herzegovina.

2. Armenia (3), coming from Poland, Russia and Czech Republic.

3. Bosnia & Herzegovina (2), coming from Croatia and Serbia.

3. Azerbaijan (2), coming from Turkey and FYR Macedonia.

3. Greece (2), coming from Romania and Albania.

The conclusion is all yours...

Return to “Eurovision 09”