Another topic about Vanessa's vocals

Pick up the board and post on it, spam up the place if you want it.
SpiceFan2008
Custom Title: I JUST WANNA DANCE

Another topic about Vanessa's vocals

Postby SpiceFan2008 » 26 Feb 2012, 02:43

I know we have a plenty of threads about vocals and how Vanessa's voice isn't what it used to be, but I feel that this needs a topic of it's own...

So, I was watching videos of Forever is Over on the All Fired Up Tour, and saw this one in particular which shocked me so much.
It's from the Birmingham date (which I believe Jay went to) and I am in disbelief as to what happened to Vanessa's vocal...

[youtube=Ah3dQw64Qw0&feature=channel]Forever is Over[/youtube]

Spoiler: show
The last note from about 3:20 onwards is SHOCKING! I feel really sorry for her. I actually thought she was improving but I feel a little sad about this
I just hope Vanessa realises the damage that has been done.
Looking at it though, I think she had some major problems with her in-ears. although this shouldn't alter her singing voice

I was like to compare it to My Heart Takes Over from the Manchester date, where personally, I think she NAILS her big note at the middle 8:

Thoughts?
Jay
Mod

Re: Another topic about Vanessa's vocals

Postby Jay » 26 Feb 2012, 03:36

She's certainly very up and down with her vocal ability, not consistent at all!

Back in 2008/09, Vanessa was somewhat effortless with her singing. I felt comfortable and confident that she'd just nail every note - like, it wouldn't cross my mind she'd do anything less than that. Nowadays I just feel uneasy for her when she's singing, wondering whether she'll make the note or not.

I'm not sure if it's ever mentioned, but I sometimes wonder whether 'Popstar to Operastar' contributed to Vanessa's vocal problems. Perhaps she wasn't trained well in operatic style, or she didn't practice enough, thus stretching her vocal chords in a way she wasn't accustomed to. (Aside from that, her appearance on that programme was awful and unnecessary, you could tell she hated every minute of that experience).
Brett
Custom Title: Fucking Love SGs

Postby Brett » 26 Feb 2012, 05:16

Sounds like it could be mic problems on FIO...the way it cut in and out seemed like it anyways.
Stewie
Previous username(s): CharlesEt
Custom Title: Griffin

Postby Stewie » 26 Feb 2012, 13:26

I hear the voice being cutted, but maybe it's not the mic.

It sounds like strained chords.
Like when you're in a crowded place (club, for example), and you happen to scream all the time and strain your chords.
When you get out of there you can hear that your voice wouldn't come out as easily as before, and sometimes breath is the only thing that will come out if you don't put more effort in controlling your voice.

Seems like that to me..
SpiceFan2008
Custom Title: I JUST WANNA DANCE

Postby SpiceFan2008 » 26 Feb 2012, 14:46

Maybe you're right, there is definately something wrong with the sound/mic on Vanessa's, but it appears that she actually couldn't reach the note. I suppose we'll never know.

Going to the 'Popstar to Operastar' programme Jay mentioned, I have always thought this, but don't think I mentioned it. It did nothing for her or the band, and it did actually seem that the show actually caused more problems than it was worth for Vanessa. I mean subsequent performances (from about middle of Higher promotion onwards) have not been particualrly vocally perfect from her.
I think because on the show (I only recently watched it, and all she got was slack and discorouging comments during her training from the two opera people. She can't help it that she had commitments with her band. Plus, the band is her priority, as it's her day job!)
She was pushed to her limits, and she was singing both opera and 'pop' sometimes in the same day, her vocal cords must have struggled to keep up with her changing styles. I think it also is that her voice probably got suited to her singing that style, so once she attempted to revert back to her 'pop' singing, it couldn't really handle the power her voice had for that genre.
I do still see glimmers of hope for her voice, but it needs proper rest. Maybe she has that stuff like Adele had on her vocal cords. She should, whatever it may be, get her voiced checked out...
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 28 Feb 2012, 14:29

Yeah, the first video is obviously a mic problem. Not that her voice was perfect, but when your voice cracks it doesn't crack that way. And she was even smiling, so it shows she barely noticed the issue.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
dbomb12

Postby dbomb12 » 02 Mar 2012, 00:04

I was wondering if maybe she has bulimia because her weight fluctuates and she can't now reach her high notes that she used too, I don't know why i've been thinking that but i do.

Edit: and that concert that she was complaining about stomach issues and she couldn't do the concert the shephards bush gig.

Return to “The Saturdays”