The Saturdays Main Problem...?

Pick up the board and post on it, spam up the place if you want it.

Is this gap and lack of promotion the Saturdays main problem?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 12
Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

The Saturdays Main Problem...?

Postby Official Spiceworld » 18 Apr 2012, 18:18

Agree or disagree, if you want, if you believe that the main problem that the Saturdays have is that in the UK, their promotion is pretty poor, especially from the previous album and that the gap between the 1st single's airplay/video and eventual release is too long, along with the eventual release of the album?

This applies to most of their records post-Chasing Lights era

SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
Jay
Mod

Re: The Saturdays Main Problem...?

Postby Jay » 18 Apr 2012, 18:56

I honestly think their main problem is that they don't appeal to enough people. In particular I think there's something about them that teenage girls (a huge market) struggle to relate to...

Honestly, I think they could promote as much as possible, and release the best pop song of recent times, and it still wouldn't change their level of success.

The image they portray is beauty, glamour and style. Their boyfriends are sportsmen, musicians, models. Teenage girls can only aspire to this. With most girl groups of the past, this wasn't a huge focus. With The Saturdays, it's practically all the press they get - how they look and who they're dating.

The Saturdays don't have a strong identity or an edge like girl groups of the past have. As a group, they're simply just "there" looking pretty. They haven't got that extra bit of substance that makes them very special.

All of this is in terms of the general public. The Saturdays' record sales suggest a lack of connection and overall support...
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 18 Apr 2012, 21:37

There hasn't really hasn't been any other girlbands to compare them too other than the Sugababes so its difficult to determine whether the problem is them or the fact girlbands just aren't popular in the UK anymore in regards to album sales. Sugababes last two albums underperformed which again shows that it may be the girlband thing more than just them being unrelatable. Girls Aloud have been gone for the majority of The Saturdays reign in the charts so again we don't have them to compare them too either.

Will be interesting to see how Little Mix perform when they release their single/album
TheDoctor

Postby TheDoctor » 18 Apr 2012, 22:23

I don't think we can ever call them 'lazy' though. I mean they perform on any TV show going when they have a new single out and they always seem to be performing at gigs up and down the country - but it just never seems to get them anywhere.
Tiger
Custom Title: AKA Joe

Postby Tiger » 19 Apr 2012, 11:07

Jay wrote:Honestly, I think they could promote as much as possible, and release the best pop song of recent times, and it still wouldn't change their level of success.

The image they portray is beauty, glamour and style. Their boyfriends are sportsmen, musicians, models. Teenage girls can only aspire to this. With most girl groups of the past, this wasn't a huge focus. With The Saturdays, it's practically all the press they get - how they look and who they're dating.

The Saturdays don't have a strong identity or an edge like girl groups of the past have. As a group, they're simply just "there" looking pretty. They haven't got that extra bit of substance that makes them very special.

All of this is in terms of the general public. The Saturdays' record sales suggest a lack of connection and overall support...

The girl band show on the BBC a while back made me think this. They mentioned how most girl bands start off with 'lack of' styling' to make them more relatable and then grow to become glamourous etc. This is to also stop the 'i don't like them, they'd steal my boyfriend' type of thoughts that run through girls heads.

I think this can be related to the Sats, as they were from the start glamourous and sexy they instantly had this disconnect with teenage girls who i guess (as im a guy in his 20s its all i can do) lead to resentment.
Emmel C fan
Custom Title: fan of SG since 1996

Postby Emmel C fan » 19 Apr 2012, 14:34

I'm not a teenager and I like them I think they need to release more music world wide here in Denmark are they not famous they last real huge girlband there were huge here was Spice Girls
peruspice

Postby peruspice » 20 Apr 2012, 19:52

They don't need to focus on the UK only. I think they have high chances to succeed overseas.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 20 Apr 2012, 19:55

If they can't be fully focused on cracking the UK, they shouldn't then go and do a half arsed effort anywhere else.
Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

Postby Official Spiceworld » 20 Apr 2012, 22:59

Stitch wrote:If they can't be fully focused on cracking the UK, they shouldn't then go and do a half arsed effort anywhere else.

This.
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
tommie

Postby tommie » 22 Apr 2012, 13:19

I just don't think they have "it", that special factor that allows them to cross over from a mere pop act to superstars.

I mean, they have been on the pop scene for almost four years now and I still couldn't tell you what they're about, except that they sometimes wear different colours.
tiagohm

Postby tiagohm » 23 Apr 2012, 05:00

for me... everything sound the same.
Emma Station |

Return to “The Saturdays”