Take That

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Re: Take That

Postby Javi » 25 Sep 2014, 19:11

I think it can work as long as the music is just as good as previous records. I don't get why it would be a joke. A joke is a band called "Five" being just 3 members. A joke is the Cheeky Girls. A joke is the constant line-up changes of the Sugababes. But Take That being a 3 piece? I don't get what's the joke about it.

People said the 4 piece wouldn't last more than 1 single because Robbie was on board and look what happened. I rather wait and see what happens (and hear what they bring) before saying it's a bad decision.

I'm jealous the Spice Girls are SO obsessed with being a five piece they don't give the 4 piece a try.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
forever_spice_boy01
Custom Title: i like boys

Postby forever_spice_boy01 » 25 Sep 2014, 19:14

^ they did... it didn't work out for them remember? and being a 3 person group now is kinda a joke. they started out as a 5-piece got super famous. came back as a 4-piece, and now are going to be a 3-piece? are they just going to keep dwindling in numbers until only 1 member is left? lol
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 25 Sep 2014, 21:10

forever_spice_boy01 wrote:^ they did... it didn't work out for them remember? and being a 3 person group now is kinda a joke. they started out as a 5-piece got super famous. came back as a 4-piece, and now are going to be a 3-piece? are they just going to keep dwindling in numbers until only 1 member is left? lol

Yup!
kamel

Postby kamel » 26 Sep 2014, 00:31

Jason Orange can't sing anyway , i don't really gonna miss him on their next album because i only love to hear the beautiful Gary Barlow voice so it will works for me , and i don't think there is a Jason fan lol
Last edited by kamel on 26 Sep 2014, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 26 Sep 2014, 00:46

^ :wave: He was my favourite member :p and he certainly has a big fan base within the Take That fandom! He was the best looking. :cool:

I just think a 3 piece is going to look a bit sad and not really properly Take That. I think the 4 piece worked as a reunion in 2005 because that is how they left in 1996, as a 4. It was an accepted line-up and obviously Robbie became huge in the intervening period, so it didn't seem too random that he wasn't initially on board with the reunion. But for Robbie to not be involved with the next album and Jason officially leaving, I don't know, it just won't seem quite right to me.

What will be interesting to see is whether the 3 piece Take That is accepted in light of the tax avoidance scandal that all 3 were involved with, and got bad press for earlier this year. In fact I wonder whether that's maybe a factor in Jason leaving too.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 26 Sep 2014, 02:24

I think what you say about Robbie being huge on his own and seen as a solo singer when TT reformed is very true, which is why I think a 4 piece Spice reunion could work now without VB. The other 4 are still basically known as Spice girls, whilst VB really isn't any more, she would obviously be a loss but I feel like most people have already subconsciously detached her from the Spice girls so them reuniting without her wouldn't feel so weird.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
forever_spice_boy01
Custom Title: i like boys

Postby forever_spice_boy01 » 26 Sep 2014, 03:59

^ probably in the UK but in north america victoria is the most famous BUT is very much known as being a spice girl. mel b is relevant because of america's got talent but everybody's more or less have forgotten about the other 3...
Javi

Postby Javi » 26 Sep 2014, 14:28

forever_spice_boy01 wrote:^ they did... it didn't work out for them remember? and being a 3 person group now is kinda a joke. they started out as a 5-piece got super famous. came back as a 4-piece, and now are going to be a 3-piece? are they just going to keep dwindling in numbers until only 1 member is left? lol

Yeah, the 4 piece didn't work for the Spice Girls. That's why 'Goodbye' and 'Holler/LLLTW' flopped. That's why they sold out the US leg of the Spiceworld tour and that's why the Christmas In Spiceworld tour was a fiasco.... OH, wait. :despise: 'Forever' flopped because they couldn't care less about it, not because the 4 piece band didn't work.

Take That started as a 5piece and got huge success. True. They came back as a 4 piece... And they flopped big time. Oh, wait. No, they actually were massive in the UK again. So no joke there. And they are now reduced to a 3 piece. Again, where is the joke? Wait until they release something.

Like Jay said... The taxes scandal is what might make them look like a joke. But not because they're reduced to a 3 piece but because they are now seen different by the public. But their economic/legal status shouldn't harm their music quality, so I rather wait and hear what they come up with, regardless of it being a flop or not.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 26 Sep 2014, 15:21

IER wrote:Take That started as a 5piece and got huge success. True. They came back as a 4 piece... And they flopped big time. Oh, wait. No, they actually were massive in the UK again. So no joke there. And they are now reduced to a 3 piece. Again, where is the joke? Wait until they release something.

A five piece pop band to be reduced to a three piece pop band and to continue is the joke in itself imo

I think its ok to lose one member but anymore than that is just a massive jump the shark moment. I would cringe if the Spice Girls did something again as three under the Spice Girls name.

I'm not saying it can't be successful but after reforming as the complete original five piece for the last album it felt like a full circle moment and now its going to be just three not even the successful four piece.

Its just kind of tragic & sad for the bands legacy imo music aside that is all.
Mr.X
Custom Title: Xavier de Sousa

Postby Mr.X » 26 Sep 2014, 15:30

Why are we comparing the two four piece line ups? They are completely different scenarios.

Take That
All male pop group that were extremely successful, with one main centre piece (Gary), a second stand out vocalist (Mark) and a third one who is one of the attractions for his cheeky behaviour and it is the third main singer (Robbie). This last member quits and becomes a superstar. The band breaks up after a while to a HUGE hurrah about their break up. They return years later with the ORIGINAL 4 piece line up. And Robbie turns up every now and then. The return is hugely successful with new music being even more successful than before in the UK and massive tours across Europe.
The band has never been about their close friendships, but instead about the pop songs, the hotness of the members, etc.

Spice Girls
All female pop group who went stratospherically successful overnight. This success was stamped with the fact that they were all equally important, with no lead member. It was about the five of them and how close friends they were. The songs were super popular, perhaps more so than Take That's songs and basically they sold the GIRL POWER anthem to go with them. The songs were about feeling good, about love yes but with friendship and positivity at their core.
One member, who by the sheer charisma kind of led the group in the media's eyes, decided to leave. The group carry on with great success, selling out arenas and tours across the world, as well as as keep churning out successful songs, winning awards, etc. The group states they are happy together. The absent member starts slagging them off. The group slowly breaks up and releases a half-arsedly promoted album that makes no impact, with a whole new package that had very little to do with their past. The group breaks up with no announcement, just lets it all die slowly. A few years later, the group returns with ALL ORIGINAL MEMBERS. In this time, one of the members of the group has become one of the biggest names in the world by her own work: Victoria Beckham. She does so by distancing herself from the music world, instead focusing on fashion endeavours and social engagements. During the reunion, they sell out record breaking tour but new music fails to set the charts alight. They cancel the tour short, failing to deliver on original promises to tour the world, instead concentrating on UK and America. They break up after three months. Victoria's fashion career goes stratospheric around the world and announces she does not wish to return to music, ever again.
The so called 4 PIECE band that would emerge out of the Spice Girls is one without its biggest member and one that has not been tested thus far.

So let's stop comparing the two bands please. Different stories, different scenarios.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 26 Sep 2014, 20:51

When TT reunited as a 4 piece again Robbie was so far out of their league at that time it was mind boggling, it is exactly the same position the 4 Spice girls would be in without Vic. The important thing for TT is Gary is there as he is the voice of TT, same as Spice Girls wouldn't work without Mel C and Emma in any way. Vic brings celebrity to the Spice Girls which is what Robbie would have brought to TT, without that they had to come out with a killer song which Patience was, the Spice girls minus Vic would need the same imo.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Colin
Custom Title: Colin

Postby Colin » 26 Sep 2014, 21:38

If you think that it's the same for women in the industry as it for men you're clearly mistaken. Ageism exists.

Take That are known as Gary, Robbie & the others. All of the Spice Girls were a intrinsic part of the band.
*Babyboy*
Previous username(s): babymen

Postby *Babyboy* » 09 Oct 2014, 18:43

FB:
We can officially confirm that our new single is premiering tomorrow morning across UK radio! Tune in from 7.30am.

A little clip :

http://takethat.com/
*Babyboy*
Previous username(s): babymen

Postby *Babyboy* » 09 Oct 2014, 19:45

New album : III
Javi

Postby Javi » 09 Oct 2014, 19:49

The album cover (if that's it) looks awesome.
_rEaSoN_

Postby _rEaSoN_ » 09 Oct 2014, 20:01

Are they only 3 now? :dizzy:

Edit: I didn't know one of them had left.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 09 Oct 2014, 20:08

^ Jason officially left the group about 2 weeks ago.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 09 Oct 2014, 20:21

they might flop x
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 09 Oct 2014, 21:48

That is actually a really cool cover (if it is the actual cover)

I don't see this flopping but I still find it sad to go on as three but that's just my opinion. I guess some will argue that as long as Gary Barlow is there....
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 09 Oct 2014, 22:03

According to their Twitter it is the cover!

Don't think the release date is confirmed yet, but apparently it will be November 24th. Their stiffest competition would be Olly Murs who releases his 4th album on that date. Olly's first 3 albums achieved peaks of 2-1-1 and all became multi platinum sellers. However Take That are accustomed to huge first week sales, but will they be that huge this time?
alee

Postby alee » 10 Oct 2014, 01:56

The cover is amazing. Great start!
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 10 Oct 2014, 09:33

New single 'These Days', out November 23rd! Surprisingly uptempo!

Album 'III' follows on December 1st.

‘III’ marks another poignant moment in the band's legacy as a newly created three-piece.

This is the first time Take That have written and recorded as a three and with that new dynamic has come a new sound; this time around choosing an eclectic mix of producers to work on the album:Greg Kurstin (Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence, Lykke Li - I Never Learn, Katy Perry - Prism), John Shanks (Take That- Beautiful World, The Circus), Stuart Price (Take That - Progress, Madonna - Confessions on a Dance Floor, The Killers - Day & Age) and Jeff Lynne(ELO, Paul McCartney - Flaming Pie, Regina Spektor - Far, Tom Petty - Into The Great Wide Open, Travelling Wilburys - Travelling Wilburys Vol.1).

Standard https://store.universalmusic.com/taketh ... IL50000000
1 These Days
2 Let In The Sun
3 If You Want It
4 Lovelife
5 Portrait
6 Higher Than Higher
7 I Like It
8 Give You My Love
9 Freeze
10 Into The Wild
11 Flaws
12 Get Ready For It
Deluxe [Bespoke hardback CD book and 16 page booklet] https://store.universalmusic.com/taketh ... J1X0000000
13 Believe
14 Amazing
15 Do It For All For Love

Signed Super Deluxe Box Set: Signed, bespoke, artworked, rigid box with lift off lid, 15 track album housed in a stunning hardback CD book, 16 page oversize booklet printed on matt art paper with a set of five photographic prints. Very limited first come, first served. https://store.universalmusic.com/taketh ... J200000000
Javi

Postby Javi » 10 Oct 2014, 11:24

Jay wrote:"This is the first time Take That have written and recorded as a three"

As if they had written and recorded the whole album in the past 2 weeks. It's obvious they've pulled a Keisha and removed all of Jason's vocals. I'm sure we might have even see some credits on some songs, unless Jason actually didn't write a single word on first instance.

Not sure what to think of the single. I expected something more... them. It sounds like something Mika would release (but without the high pitched voice). I do like it, but it sounds more like a wicked album-opening track than a risky-come-back single. I can see it doing well on radio though (unless they're snubbed).

The album cover looked better without their name on it.
AmAdEus.lb

Postby AmAdEus.lb » 10 Oct 2014, 11:31

I love the new single ! it's uplifting and super catchy.
It's gonna be huge
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 10 Oct 2014, 11:56

IER wrote:
Jay wrote:"This is the first time Take That have written and recorded as a three"

As if they had written and recorded the whole album in the past 2 weeks. It's obvious they've pulled a Keisha and removed all of Jason's vocals. I'm sure we might have even see some credits on some songs, unless Jason actually didn't write a single word on first instance.

I think it's more likely that Jason hasn't been involved in the project at all, it just wasn't made official until 2 weeks ago?

Jason supposedly expressed reservations to them (regarding doing any more with the group) straight after the Progress era ended. Perhaps the option for him to continue came some time last month (or even earlier) when it was time to put the finishing touches to the album, after the other 3 three had done the bulk of the work for it, but he decided that he definitely didn't want to.

Return to “Music”