Sugababes

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
Blond Pharaoh

Re: Sugababes

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 29 Dec 2016, 16:31

Yeah their voices are so good together :inlove: so magically :love: in my opinion they are the best Girl group after The Spice Girls ;)
tommie

Postby tommie » 29 Dec 2016, 17:01

eduardo_ wrote:I always found 1.0 a bit of a yawn, but, man, there are some great gems in this leak!
Their voices blend so well, they're amazing!

Their voices together is so obvious, so miscellanious.
icecream

Postby icecream » 29 Dec 2016, 19:03

Blond Pharaoh wrote:The leaked tracks are amazing :love: they'd have slayed with this album :shrug:

I totally agree the songs are amazing. All of them.

I see what they mean when they were talking about Drum its a pure rnb vibe and how it fades into another type of song.
It reminds me of one of Aaliyah's songs when it fades into another song. Not exactly the same but similar vibe.

All these songs they recorded are amazing songs and im glad they choosed their own producers to work with instead of the label chosing them.

Yes their voices are amazing together and they brang back those classic pop songs which new artists/groups dont do anymore.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 29 Dec 2016, 19:04

The songs are great. That's all I'm saying on the matter.
icecream

Postby icecream » 29 Dec 2016, 19:08

Im so glad we got to hear those tracks finally. I cant wait to hear their new music. Im so excited for next year when the ball starts rolling again when they officially come out again.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 29 Dec 2016, 21:01

It's a shame all songs have been scrapped because 'Love In Stereo' would've been a massive come back single (massive in terms of the music itself and what the release would involve, not success-wise). It sounds very them, but at the same time very current and very 80s too. 'No Regrets' could've been a great follow up single.

'Back In The Day', 'Summer Of '99' and 'I'm Alright' sound fabulous too.

The rest is ok, nothing else is outstanding for me. But those 5 songs I mentioned are great and it's a shame we won't get them mastered in HQ on a proper album.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Mr.X
Custom Title: Xavier de Sousa

Postby Mr.X » 30 Dec 2016, 02:12

Drum is the FUCKING SEX!
Craig-Rogers
Custom Title: I Am Craig

Postby Craig-Rogers » 30 Dec 2016, 03:59

Hi everyone

I've just had a quick listen to the new leaked album and I love it!

Has anyone started writing the lyrics for these new songs as I'd love to make a album for these songs and add a lyrics booklet inside
Mr.X

Postby Mr.X » 30 Dec 2016, 04:32

Mr.X wrote:Drum is the FUCKING SEX!

:grin:
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 30 Dec 2016, 09:26

Most of the songs reminded me of who they used to be (their first album, which is still my favourite). How could they shelve such good songs...?!
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 30 Dec 2016, 16:22

Mr.X wrote:
Mr.X wrote:Drum is the FUCKING SEX!

:grin:

LOL yes :music: :love:
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 30 Dec 2016, 18:29

Stas wrote:Most of the songs reminded me of who they used to be (their first album, which is still my favourite). How could they shelve such good songs...?!

They were "released" from their contract with Polydor (their contract was terminated by Polydor). Apprently it was their own fault, nothing to do with the low sales of Flatline.

By getting fired they also lost all these songs, since they're property of Polydor.
Mr.X

Postby Mr.X » 30 Dec 2016, 20:02

Andreas wrote:
Stas wrote:Most of the songs reminded me of who they used to be (their first album, which is still my favourite). How could they shelve such good songs...?!

They were "released" from their contract with Polydor (their contract was terminated by Polydor). Apprently it was their own fault, nothing to do with the low sales of Flatline.

By getting fired they also lost all these songs, since they're property of Polydor.

What? How does that happen? :Dizzy:

What a shame to let go of these tunes, they are really great songs and could make up a fantastic album, probably one of the best released by a girl band in the past 10 years (yes, inc most of previous Sugababes, Little Mix and Girls Aloud, in my opinion)...
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 30 Dec 2016, 20:35

Most artists don't own publishing rights to their own songs. That is something that slowly started to happen in the last 5-6 years (independent artists licenced a certain amount of tracks for a specific release to a big label). But the industry standard (as far as I'm aware) is still that artists getting signed, artists make music but the publishing rights to the music (albums, singles, dvd's, compilations etc) is still owned by the label. So when an artist leave a label it's not a given that they get their material with them. They get royalties of course but it's not up to the artist to decide the use of the music they made while with that label.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor negotiated her way out of her contract with Polydor when Polydor kept postponing Make A Scene. She agreed to be released from her contract on the term that she was given publishing rights to the songs for the album (hence the lack of b-sides from the 2nd single (and third? I can't remember, but they all only had mixed apart from "Bittersweet" that had b-sides)), and this way she was able to establish her own label and release the album.

But again, Sophie negotiated her way out. Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan - as far as I'm aware - were more or less fired. No negotiations, nothing. And it didn't have anything to do with low chart positions apparently...
Mr.X

Postby Mr.X » 30 Dec 2016, 20:40

Andreas wrote:Most artists don't own publishing rights to their own songs. That is something that slowly started to happen in the last 5-6 years (independent artists licenced a certain amount of tracks for a specific release to a big label). But the industry standard (as far as I'm aware) is still that artists getting signed, artists make music but the publishing rights to the music (albums, singles, dvd's, compilations etc) is still owned by the label. So when an artist leave a label it's not a given that they get their material with them. They get royalties of course but it's not up to the artist to decide the use of the music they made while with that label.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor negotiated her way out of her contract with Polydor when Polydor kept postponing Make A Scene. She agreed to be released from her contract on the term that she was given publishing rights to the songs for the album (hence the lack of b-sides from the 2nd single (and third? I can't remember, but they all only had mixed apart from "Bittersweet" that had b-sides)), and this way she was able to establish her own label and release the album.

But again, Sophie negotiated her way out. Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan - as far as I'm aware - were more or less fired. No negotiations, nothing. And it didn't have anything to do with low chart positions apparently...

Thank you for explaining :hug:

Do you know why they were fired? x
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 30 Dec 2016, 21:41

Mutya says hi :wave:
tommie

Postby tommie » 30 Dec 2016, 21:54

Andreas wrote:But again, Sophie negotiated her way out. Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan - as far as I'm aware - were more or less fired. No negotiations, nothing. And it didn't have anything to do with low chart positions apparently...

The guy who initially signed Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan and was pretty much their biggest supporter actually left the label shortly after signing them and this is when it started going tits up for them. The guys who were left at the label had no idea what to do with them and sent them away to America where they worked with Dev Hynes, got the Sia track Victory and Diane Warren. Then they sort of decided to release Flatline, the girls were pretty much left to their own devices when it came to deciding video, remixes and all that... basically, they were screwed from the beginning and then the final nail came when Radio One decided not to playlist Flatline.
Dom

Postby Dom » 30 Dec 2016, 22:07

tommie wrote:
Andreas wrote:But again, Sophie negotiated her way out. Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan - as far as I'm aware - were more or less fired. No negotiations, nothing. And it didn't have anything to do with low chart positions apparently...

The guy who initially signed Mutya, Keisha and Siobhan and was pretty much their biggest supporter actually left the label shortly after signing them and this is when it started going tits up for them. The guys who were left at the label had no idea what to do with them and sent them away to America where they worked with Dev Hynes, got the Sia track Victory and Diane Warren. Then they sort of decided to release Flatline, the girls were pretty much left to their own devices when it came to deciding video, remixes and all that... basically, they were screwed from the beginning and then the final nail came when Radio One decided not to playlist Flatline.

And on top of that, someone on Pop Justice had just posted that Polydor put them on hold for a while as at the time The Saturdays were having their moment, and MKS should wait. They also posted that the label didn't think there were any singles amongst the 50 odd tracks recorded, and MKS had something ready a year prior to Flatline being released.

The fact they were delayed by The fucking Saturdays "having their moment" (a fluke #1 single followed by a flop album) proves Polydor wasn't the right label for them.
tommie

Postby tommie » 30 Dec 2016, 22:21

It was pretty apparent in early 2013 that they thought they lacked single material when they all of a sudden decided to send them off to the US for a few weeks to record new material. Listening to the tracks it does baffle me that they thought they had no single material though...
icecream

Postby icecream » 31 Dec 2016, 00:26

One thing i dont understand is that didnt they start to record songs before they signed the contract?
Or did they negotiate later on who owns the tracks.
Also there must be some good reason on why they lost the tracks as Keisha is very good business minded.

Plus MKS touring with the new tracks didnt that make Polydor money?
tommie

Postby tommie » 31 Dec 2016, 00:40

icecream wrote:One thing i dont understand is that didnt they start to record songs before they signed the contract?
Or did they negotiate later on who owns the tracks.
Also there must be some good reason on why they lost the tracks as Keisha is very good business minded.

Plus MKS touring with the new tracks didnt that make Polydor money?

As I understand it, they were recording a bit before signing to Polydor, but they might have "bought" them when they signed. There's also the issue with the other people involved with the tracks wanting to sell them on - hence James Arthur getting Too In Love's backing track.

Polydor would only earn money if they released the tour officially on some form of media such as DVD - which they never did. That's why acts can cover tracks for live shows, but not necessarily release them on DVD/live albums. If they did sign a 360 deal however, Polydor would just earn cash from them touring...
Dom

Postby Dom » 31 Dec 2016, 01:07

Yeah, I imagine the tracks which they recorded before they had a deal were bought by Polydor once they signed with them.

Based on what info we have, I think Boys, Drum, Today (MNEK recently said on Twitter when they leaked that he produced them five years ago), Love In Stereo (apparently the first song they recorded together as MKS) & Too In Love (I've seen Brian Higgins & Miranda Cooper listed as co-writers, but not sure of the source. I think the girls said Brian was one of the first people they worked with as MKS?) were tracks recorded prior to being signed. Unsure about the rest.
tommie

Postby tommie » 31 Dec 2016, 01:26

Too In Love was the first song they recorded together as MKS, not Love In Stereo.

I think they started recording in late 2011 and then signed to Polydor circa May 2012. Siobhan kept working at her day job for quite some time before this though, so they wouldn't have been recording full time so to speak.
Dom

Postby Dom » 31 Dec 2016, 01:48

My mistake!

I think you're right, a lot of the tracks don't have the years they were recorded but the Aspaul tracks (Burnt Out & Three More Days) were recorded around the same time they officially announced they reformed.

The others that are dated are around the same Flatline was recorded, and finally one which is dated almost a year after Flatline was released (which we can assume was their last session under Polydor).

But as I said, a lot of the tracks aren't dated.
tommie

Postby tommie » 31 Dec 2016, 02:36

They were, according to them which I take with a grain of salt, first brought together by Brian Higgins/Xenomania who initially wanted to record with Siobhan as a solo artist but she refused and only wanted to record as a trio (I think this story is a load of bull, but hey...). Too In Love was the first track they supposedly recorded, which is verified by the credits.

* by all accounts they had been in talks of getting together as 1.0 once Keisha was kicked out of Sugababes, but she wanted to go on and be Britain's answer to Rihanna - this was 2009, remember; they finally started recording in late 2011 as a trio

Return to “Music”