Madonna

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
[Dan]

Re: Madonna

Postby [Dan] » 10 Dec 2016, 13:37

Deadlines wrote:

She's such a legend, I love her.

She was awarded Billboard's Woman of the Year last night and made a fantastic speech. It doesn't air till Monday but it's transcribed here: http://www.billboard.com/articles/event ... r-labrinth

And her Rebel Heart Tour aired last night and it looks amazing! So excited to relive it, was an incredible night when I went.

:love:
Alberto!

Postby Alberto! » 10 Dec 2016, 15:25

Any link to watch it yet?
KingOfSpiceWorld

Postby KingOfSpiceWorld » 10 Dec 2016, 23:04

I watched the first thirty minutes that were uploaded. It looks good. But watched some live streaming of a later part of like a virgin and they messed the whole thing up by editing parts of different nights with different outfits.
1000 monks. 1000 religions.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 11 Dec 2016, 00:17

They've cut out Love Don't Live Here Anymore, Lucky Star, Take A Bow and Like A Prayer. But it's fine, cos we've got Candy Shop on DVD for the third time.
tommie

Postby tommie » 11 Dec 2016, 04:41

who,s madonna
mattz10101
Custom Title: SpiceUpYourLife.

Postby mattz10101 » 11 Dec 2016, 04:50

Jamie wrote:They've cut out Love Don't Live Here Anymore, Lucky Star, Take A Bow and Like A Prayer. But it's fine, cos we've got Candy Shop on DVD for the third time.

She said they cut things because of time constraints. She said it had to be under 2 hours or something.
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 11 Dec 2016, 05:07

mattz10101 wrote:
Jamie wrote:They've cut out Love Don't Live Here Anymore, Lucky Star, Take A Bow and Like A Prayer. But it's fine, cos we've got Candy Shop on DVD for the third time.

She said they cut things because of time constraints. She said it had to be under 2 hours or something.

They better be on the dvd.
tommie

Postby tommie » 11 Dec 2016, 06:01

is madoner as papular as gerita
[Dan]

Postby [Dan] » 11 Dec 2016, 16:38

BootyliciousJosh wrote:
mattz10101 wrote:

They better be on the dvd.

I really hope so, Like A Prayer was absolutely magical. And Take A Bow obviously would be amazing to see.
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 12 Dec 2016, 05:51

One major thing that bugged me during the broadcast was the editing with Like A Virgin and Rebel Heart. I understand it was a mash up of multiple shows around the world, but come on. The random cuts of different costumes really bothered me. I can understand the Unapologetic Bitch section with different guests, but it looked sloppy.

Also, after watching the RH performance, that song needed to be a single. It's such a reflection on Madonna's career.

Some highlights for me were Deeper and Deeper, True Blue (the shot of Debi Mazar in the audience was amazing), & Material Girl and Music were done very well. I wasn't blown away with them at first but seeing professional footage changed my mind. I still don't like the arrangement for LAV.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 12 Dec 2016, 19:47

I liked the Karaoke thing. She seems like a very likeable character (I haven't followed her)

But even if I like James, he does come across as a diva
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 14 Dec 2016, 22:17

BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 15 Dec 2016, 05:29

Brilliant speech. I don't think I've ever seen her get emotional like that.
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 20 Dec 2016, 14:23

Despite the fact that her last albums were not something I would listen to again (bar Ghost town and a few others), the speech was very strong and I am realy glad that I got to know her music in 1994. She was one of my first favourite artists and I really enjoy her older albums, but I think sometimes she goes too far to get publicity. She is not being played on the radio because her recent releases are awful, in my opinion, not because she is in her fifties. But I pretty much agree with the rest of her soeech although I am not a woman.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 21 Dec 2016, 15:58

Stas wrote:She is not being played on the radio because her recent releases are awful, in my opinion, not because she is in her fifties.

Nope.
Mr.X
Custom Title: Xavier de Sousa

Postby Mr.X » 21 Dec 2016, 16:18

Jamie wrote:
Stas wrote:She is not being played on the radio because her recent releases are awful, in my opinion, not because she is in her fifties.

Nope.

I think it is a mixture of both to be fair. I am not in love with her recent music but the fact that radio stations wont play based on women past the age of 'youth' is disgusting. It happens in both Ameriacan and UK radios all the time... urgh...
Fanatik
Previous username(s): Marcito

Postby Fanatik » 21 Dec 2016, 17:31

Mr.X wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Nope.

I think it is a mixture of both to be fair. I am not in love with her recent music but the fact that radio stations wont play based on women past the age of 'youth' is disgusting. It happens in both Ameriacan and UK radios all the time... urgh...

I agree it´s both but first she must come up with a great song to fight the age rejection. Living For Love was not a good single, specially for a first single.
----------------------------------------------
See my music collection at

http://www.discogs.com/user/marcio.miotto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 21 Dec 2016, 21:37

Living For Love was an incredible single, very her but also very 'now' and would have smashed on the radio had it been done by someone else. Imagine if Diplo had given the Bitch I'm Madonna instrumental to Katy Perry - that would have been A MASSIVE HIT but nah, it's done by a woman over 40 so it can't be played.

Basic men over 50 get airplay - PLAY FUCKING MADONNA.
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 21 Dec 2016, 21:48

Fanatik wrote:
Mr.X wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Nope.

I agree it´s both but first she must come up with a great song to fight the age rejection. Living For Love was not a good single, specially for a first single.

That is a really weird thing. Thankfully in Russia they play anybody who pays for radio rotation lol and then the song becomes a hit, age becomes just a number.
[Dan]

Postby [Dan] » 21 Dec 2016, 22:38

Jamie wrote:Living For Love was an incredible single, very her but also very 'now' and would have smashed on the radio had it been done by someone else. Imagine if Diplo had given the Bitch I'm Madonna instrumental to Katy Perry - that would have been A MASSIVE HIT but nah, it's done by a woman over 40 so it can't be played.

Completely.

I'll happily agree that MDNA wasn't great, I only really listen to Girl Gone Wild from it, at least in terms of singles, and even that was fairly basic. But Rebel Heart is a fantastic album and has some incredible songs on it, especially production-wise. I think Living For Love and Ghosttown are two of her best songs in years and years, maybe since Hung Up. Even Bitch I'm Madonna, yes is silly and irreverent, but like you said if something similar was done by Katy or Rihanna it would have been huge.

It is such a shame and an injustice she doesn't get more commercial success with her current music. Hopefully the fight she's fighting will pay off for the Gagas and Beyonces etc. when they're in the fifties...
tommie

Postby tommie » 22 Dec 2016, 09:06

Jamie wrote:Living For Love was an incredible single, very her but also very 'now' and would have smashed on the radio had it been done by someone else. Imagine if Diplo had given the Bitch I'm Madonna instrumental to Katy Perry - that would have been A MASSIVE HIT but nah, it's done by a woman over 40 so it can't be played.

Do these "basic men" usually get airplay from Radio 1 and Capital?

No, they mostly focus their efforts on stations like Radio 2 and Heart that are likely to spin their records. Occasional cross-over hits happen, but you could say the same for Madonna as she was in her late-40s when Hung Up and Confessions happened. Madonna still tends to try and go after the "youth crowd" which is why she's destined to continue failing.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 22 Dec 2016, 11:33

tommie wrote:Madonna still tends to try and go after the "youth crowd" which is why she's destined to continue failing.

Cher released 'Believe' in her 50s and it was aimed at the young target and it became arguably her biggest single to date. So that shows that nowadays radios (and by extent, the public) don't care about female artists past a certain age, something that definitely didn't happen 10-15 years ago. Like nowadays it has become uncool to like "old" artists, no matter how bad/good the music is.

----

I also don't agree with the "she needs a good song" comment because radios play awful terrible music on daily basis only because they come from new and/or young artists, but refuse to play older artists' music no matter how good or bad it is. Not even Kylie is getting played that much and she always delivers.

But, just like everything in life, there are exceptions and there of course are artists of a certain age that would still get radio airplay despite being on their 40s or 50s.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 22 Dec 2016, 14:38

tommie wrote:

No, they mostly focus their efforts on stations like Radio 2 and Heart that are likely to spin their records. Occasional cross-over hits happen, but you could say the same for Madonna as she was in her late-40s when Hung Up and Confessions happened. Madonna still tends to try and go after the "youth crowd" which is why she's destined to continue failing.

In America, basic men do still get played all over all kinds of radio yet Madonna, Janet etc are blacklisted.
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 23 Dec 2016, 00:42

Jamie wrote:
tommie wrote:

In America, basic men do still get played all over all kinds of radio yet Madonna, Janet etc are blacklisted.

Who are these "basic men"
Jer

Postby Jer » 23 Dec 2016, 08:11

That speech. Phenomenal. Truly one of the best speeches a contemporary female musician has given regarding women in the industry. Love me some nasty women and bad feminists.

Return to “Music”