Lana Del Rey

General discussion | 1 topic per artist | Old music forums are in the "Archive" section at the bottom for further reference (read only)
kamel

Re: Lana Del Rey

Postby kamel » 15 Jun 2014, 21:23

[youtube=watch?v=BGhdgExlppk][/youtube]
kamel

Postby kamel » 17 Jun 2014, 19:41

[youtube=watch?v=rJABBmAMXnY][/youtube]
wildhope
Previous username(s): crashworld

Postby wildhope » 27 Jul 2014, 18:04

I have finally got into the album. Definitely not as "listener-friendly" as "Born To Die", it takes many spins to get the listeners to get into the mood of the album. It's generally more cohesive as an album and the songs sound like it can be a soundtrack to a movie. And I thought she may do another music short film involving the songs "Pretty When You Cry", "Sad Girl", "****** My Way Up To The Top", "Money Power Glory" and "Old Money".

Funny enough, "West Coast" is definitely the most radio-friendly song out of the album. I really can't see how the other songs are suitable for the radio without giving it a proper radio/single mix treatment.

And also, I would love to have "Ultraviolence" the song to be released as some point (as a proper single, not a promo one).
kamel

Postby kamel » 31 Jul 2014, 11:47

[youtube=watch?v=hMq2KnudicQ&feature=youtu.be][/youtube]

:love: :love:
AmAdEus.lb

Postby AmAdEus.lb » 04 Dec 2014, 05:38

Lana Del Rey wrote two songs for the forthcoming Tim Burton film Big Eyes, a biopic about American artist Margaret Keane, and both tracks have made their way online. Earlier this week, we heard a preview of the movie’s title track, but you can now hear a full version of that and “I Can Fly” below. The former shows up halfway through the film and the latter plays over the closing credits. One of these tracks is expected to get a push for a Best Original Song nomination at the Oscars. Both tracks have the same sense of dreamy, operatic melancholy that marked Del Rey’s last album, Ultraviolence. Listen to them below.

http://www.stereogum.com/1722517/lana-d ... -fly/mp3s/
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 06 Dec 2014, 23:19

AmAdEus.lb wrote:Both tracks have the same sense of dreamy, operatic melancholy that marked Del Rey’s last album, Ultraviolence. seems to be the only sound this one trick pony can come up with.

corrected x
kamel

Postby kamel » 06 Dec 2014, 23:59

Wow i like i can fly , good song so Lana :) love it :) thnx !
kamel

Postby kamel » 07 Dec 2014, 00:09

[youtube=watch?v=gqoL5FA3Nzk][/youtube]

:inlove: :music:
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 10 Aug 2015, 00:05

Sideout

Postby Sideout » 10 Aug 2015, 00:29

High By The Beach is ok. All of her songs are starting to blend together. Such a shame since her 1st 2 albums were killer.
"Don't you break my heart. It's so plain to see that you should PM me.
Don't you break my heart. If these leaks should end I will never post again"
VodkaMouth

Postby VodkaMouth » 10 Aug 2015, 17:47

^ Definitely.

I remember sticking up for her when people would say her music was boring as fuck and repetitive, but I completely lost interest in it right before "Ultraviolence" came out. It feels like all the music I will ever need from her is on "Born To Die: The Paradise Edition".
sean20

Postby sean20 » 10 Aug 2015, 21:00

its ironic, then when an act releases a dance song after dance song after dance song they're alright,
but when it comes to slower songs its all 'oh it sounds the same' 'oh thats blending together'.

for me all kesha songs sound the same. or last britney songs. like work bitch is the same as hold it against me. unless ure a fan and u know every second of it.
TheBiatches

Postby TheBiatches » 10 Aug 2015, 21:15

^ No, I agree with you. It's not because Lana's music is slow, it's because they all do sound extremely alike, and the way she sings them, too. But it's the same with dance music, or rock music, some people find a formula that works and stick to it becoming beyond repetitive. Sadly it looks like Lana is happy making the kind of music she makes and so is her fanbase. I was obsessed with her first album and the re-release, then Ultraviolence came and I could only stand like 3 or 4 songs, now I've completely lost interest. I like an artist that evolves.
sean20

Postby sean20 » 10 Aug 2015, 21:24

but ultraviolence is exactly where you can see her evolvement. its so much different than born to die, its clearly a new direction she was going. sure, she sings in an airy retro voice, cause that is her voice. born to die was a pop record whereas ultraviolence was alternative indie one.
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 10 Aug 2015, 21:32

sean20 wrote:its ironic, then when an act releases a dance song after dance song after dance song they're alright,
but when it comes to slower songs its all 'oh it sounds the same' 'oh thats blending together'.

for me all kesha songs sound the same. or last britney songs. like work bitch is the same as hold it against me. unless ure a fan and u know every second of it.

"Don't you break my heart. It's so plain to see that you should PM me.
Don't you break my heart. If these leaks should end I will never post again"
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 10 Aug 2015, 21:51

I like the new song! And it seems different to me... there's more of a beat to this song than is usual with her.
TheBiatches

Postby TheBiatches » 10 Aug 2015, 22:05

Oh I was talking about Lana till "Honeymoon", which is the last song of hers I've heard (and not even in its entirety). I was on holidays until yesterday so I haven't heard the new song yet.
sean20

Postby sean20 » 10 Aug 2015, 22:10

i feel like she makes the type of songs one has to really listen to in order to take them in.
not just 'i heard a bit it all sounds the same'. which is an incredibly pointless argument as theres not one artist in the world whose every song is completely different.

high by the beach is great. there is this beat that makes me think of the 90's somehow. and theres a cute nod to her early song ' put me in the movie'
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 11 Aug 2015, 02:56

The Zhu remix of West coast is the best thing from her I've ever heard even though that is not really her production. :love: :love: But that remix is flawless. Blue velvet and Gods and monsters are really different songs, especially the second one. But her second album was left kind of unnoticed for me. Maybe I should listen to it more... The new song is alright though...
sean20

Postby sean20 » 11 Aug 2015, 14:19

Stas wrote:The Zhu remix of West coast is the best thing from her I've ever heard even though that is not really her production. :love: :love: But that remix is flawless. Blue velvet and Gods and monsters are really different songs, especially the second one. But her second album was left kind of unnoticed for me. Maybe I should listen to it more... The new song is alright though...

try it. even the opener 'cruel world' is immediately suggesting how she evolved.
Mr.X
Custom Title: Xavier de Sousa

Postby Mr.X » 11 Aug 2015, 15:22

To those suggesting that Lana has not evolved, that is so wrong. Yes, she does prefer the moody and slow songs and the vintage styling. But Ultraviolence is a major step up in terms of production, style and nuance. It is a much more polished album, sort of like her Life in Mono to her Free Me, if you'd like. Perhaps less immediate songs, but with a firm production line and identity to it.

Born To Die: Paradise was excellent, yes, but Ultraviolence works on a completely separate level.
wildhope
Previous username(s): crashworld

Postby wildhope » 11 Aug 2015, 20:06

Like many, I became a fan of Lana because how fantastic her debut album is. It's probably one of the best debut albums out there in my opinion. It's refreshing and very different when she is marketed to be a more mainstream-type of artist, with a distinct sound.

Then with the "Paradise" EP, you can clearly see she started with a more alternative indie sound, but still managed to keep the pop-indie element in there.

And of course, when she released "Ultraviolence", I admit I was a little disappointed because the direction she went was pretty drastic, which could potentially alienate the mainstream listeners that fell in love with her because of her debut album. I mean, just imagine, the most commercialized song on the album is actually "West Coast". But after multiple spins, "Ultraviolence" definitely stands out on its own. It's pretty much very cohesive, there is a running theme in the music. I almost felt that it could have been a soundtrack to a potential full-length musical in which she is the lead actress, something she did with "Tropico". So I have more or less accepted her new sound.

With the new single, I felt that she is trying to find a compromise between both albums, a middleground. Yes, it's not that very radio-friendly, I felt that it could have been part of the "Paradise" EP, but not good enough to be a single. It's along the likes of "Ride" and "West Coast" combined. The strongest part of the song is the probably the middle 8, though the chorus is pretty catchy after multiple listens. Therefore, I think for people who are expecting her to release another "Born To Die" album, they should probably forget about her doing anything similar that soon if based on the direction of the new single.
JustineKS

Postby JustineKS » 11 Aug 2015, 20:34

I only really like the singles from her first album,
then I still enjoy some other tracks but I think "Ultraviolence" is really beyond as a whole.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 11 Aug 2015, 21:35

High By The Beach is currently #11 on UK iTunes! :D

#1 in these countries:

#1 United States (wow!)
#1 Argentina
#1 Brazil
#1 Chile
#1 Cyprus
#1 Czech Republic