UK Sales Figures: Spice Girls Singles & Albums (Solo Updates: Page 28!)

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.
WhatTheHell

Re: Spice Girls Singles/Albums UK Sales: Group & Solo

Postby WhatTheHell » 05 Apr 2016, 23:30

Emma has always been the one that sold the most merchandising. I'm surprised to see MelC in second place, I've always assumed it was Geri.
Vic and MelB were always the less likeables for the young public but I think they were the most interesting ones for the older audience.
I guess that, like everything in the band, all was very leveled. Undoubtedly one of the keys of their success.
california

Postby california » 07 Apr 2016, 22:29

http://artisteschartsventes.blogspot.fr ... girls.html

Someone can confirm the Italian charts ? Thanks
http://spicecollection.skyrock.com/ (2800 items)
simby

Postby simby » 08 Apr 2016, 09:11

Official Spiceworld wrote:I know it's unrelated to music sales but I have created a VHS charts page with all the information regarding sales, length of time on the video charts and the positions they peaked on the chart. All information via the Official Charts company! :)

I've been working on it for three days and I am still working on it, so I hope if anyone checks it out, you enjoy the read :)

http://spicegirlsnetblog.tumblr.com/VHS

Thank you for the hard work. Love it!
Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

Postby Official Spiceworld » 08 Apr 2016, 19:50

simby wrote:
Official Spiceworld wrote:I know it's unrelated to music sales but I have created a VHS charts page with all the information regarding sales, length of time on the video charts and the positions they peaked on the chart. All information via the Official Charts company! :)

I've been working on it for three days and I am still working on it, so I hope if anyone checks it out, you enjoy the read :)

http://spicegirlsnetblog.tumblr.com/VHS

Thank you for the hard work. Love it!

Thank you very much :D
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
Official Spiceworld

Postby Official Spiceworld » 08 Apr 2016, 20:39

california wrote:http://artisteschartsventes.blogspot.fr/2014/06/spice-girls.html

I clicked on this link and it had this chart.

What countries are these? ALL, SUI-ALE? Thank you.
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 08 Apr 2016, 23:16

Official Spiceworld wrote:
california wrote:http://artisteschartsventes.blogspot.fr/2014/06/spice-girls.html

All (Allemagne) is Germany
Sui (Suisse) is Switzerland
Official Spiceworld

Postby Official Spiceworld » 09 Apr 2016, 12:38

WhatTheHell wrote:
Official Spiceworld wrote:

All (Allemagne) is Germany
Sui (Suisse) is Switzerland

Thank you.

I knew SUE was Sweden and SUI was possibly Switzerland but wasn't sure. ALL is Germany. I always thought they used GER or DEU, DE.

Thank you for letting me know :)
Official Spiceworld

Postby Official Spiceworld » 09 Apr 2016, 18:08

Hungary

Spice -10
Spiceworld - 5
Forever - 20

Japan

Say You'll Be There - 5
2 Become 1 - 2

Found a few chart websites with some of the Spice Girls album and single peak positions :)
tiagohm

Postby tiagohm » 14 Apr 2016, 14:38

Emma Station |
*Babyboy*
Previous username(s): babymen

Postby *Babyboy* » 14 Apr 2016, 16:46

tiagohm wrote:http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/number-1-this-week-in-2001-emma-buntons-debut-solo-single-hits-the-top__14532/

So WTYSL sold 269,737 ..almost 10k more.
Gonnabe

Postby Gonnabe » 14 Apr 2016, 16:57

Official Spiceworld wrote:Found an interesting article on Billboard from 1998 that stated that the most popular Spiceworld Limited Edition tins were -

Emma - 38.7%
Melanie C - 20.3%
Geri - 17.3%
Victoria - 12.2%
Mel B - 11.5%

Sometimes they have statistics in relation to the Spice Girls album sales and singles, too.

Just thought I'd share this fun fact :D

Thank you California, I'm checking your blog now. :)

I don't think that's the real deal. In Greece, galloob, the company of the dolls, made every toy store buy five emma dolls for every set of five spice girls dolls. I'm guessing more or less it was the same with other products. The blond girl is the easiest to sale.

I guess for the dolls it had to do with Barbie been blonde and all but in general, parents would feel safer with Baby or Sporty instead of Ginger or Scary and Posh looked like a member of the Adams family in most of their products.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 14 Apr 2016, 17:31

^Dolls were bought by/for little girls mostly. The movie wasn't. The movie was bought by/for both girls and boys and a wider range of ages. So assuming that the dolls statistics can be equally related to all products is all kinds of wrong.

That's like assuming they also sold the Aprilia motorbikes to the same target (little girls wanting a Barbie-like doll).
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 14 Apr 2016, 18:33

*Babyboy* wrote:
tiagohm wrote:http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/number-1-this-week-in-2001-emma-buntons-debut-solo-single-hits-the-top__14532/

So WTYSL sold 269,737 ..almost 10k more.

Last known total was 265,000 in May 2013! So it's sold almost 5k in 3 years.

Another previously known total was 257,849 in June 2009, so almost a 12k increase in nearly 7 years.
Mr.X
Custom Title: Xavier de Sousa

Postby Mr.X » 18 Apr 2016, 11:34

Erm, I just bought Say You'll Be There Single, as well as buying the track from Spice and GH on iTunes. THAT COUNTS AS 3x COPIES :satan:

Do you think we will ever have an update on SYBT sales? :shrug:
Javi

Postby Javi » 18 Apr 2016, 11:55

Mr.X wrote:Do you think we will ever have an update on SYBT sales? :shrug:

If we don't get an update throughout the year, we will definitely get one in October, as I'm sure the Official Charts website will have a "#1 this day 20 years ago" post about it.

Even if it took so long, it would be fabulous if SYBT became their 3rd million seller exactly this year. All the news reports about 'Spice' being released 20 years ago could include the "Its first three singles all went on to become UK million sellers" information, which basically would mean a double record for them after so many years, wouldn't it? First and only act to have their three first singles to sell over one million copies and first and only act ever to have 3 million seller singles on the same studio album (correct me if I'm wrong but The Beatles have all their million seller singles spread over different studio albums, right?).
simby

Postby simby » 18 Apr 2016, 12:01

so how many copies has SYBT sold according to the last update?
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 18 Apr 2016, 14:03

The best way to get SYBT over the million mark is to stream it if you are from the UK. Streaming sales are so much bigger than download sales at the bottom end of the chart and it is free and you can keep doing it every week and adding sales.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 18 Apr 2016, 17:30

As far as I know, the OCC are still dragging their feet when it comes to what they define a million seller as being. In the last year or so, they only make special mention of this if a song has actually *sold* a million (i.e. downloads/physicals). There's been a lot of singles that have crossed over the million "units" mark thanks to streaming, for instance Justin Bieber technically now has four singles that have crossed over a million, but OCC have made no mention of this having occurred.

So what I'm trying to say is, even if SYBT crosses the million "units" mark thanks to added streaming, I don't think the OCC would make special mention of it and there's a high chance we won't know about it unless it actually properly sells a million.

Having said that, our best hope of a sales update is an OCC article about it for its 20th anniversary, like IER says. I've noticed in the last few articles they've published that they're starting to give a combined sales figure (i.e. includes streaming) rather than just sales only.

simby wrote:so how many copies has SYBT sold according to the last update?

Unfortunately we don't know; the most recent total we have is 960,000 as of August 2015 (and it's also known that this figure doesn't include streaming data).

This has been its progress:

960,000 - August 2015
950,000 - October 2013
940,833 - June 2009
937,000 - 2008
915,000 - By the end of 1999
900,000 - By the end of 1996
Javi

Postby Javi » 18 Apr 2016, 17:36

Can't believe it has only sold 60k in the last 19 years, it being one of their most famous songs (or at least, the video is one of their most recognizable/iconic ones).
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 18 Apr 2016, 18:12

^ I should probably have mentioned that there's a chance the 900,000 figure quoted at the end of 1996 was actually too high. There was some sort of problem with how the charts were compiled between 1994-1996, the methodology behind how they compiled the data... at some point it was decided that they'd overestimated sales during these years. It's all a bit complicated. Crucially the OCC has "downgraded" a lot of sales figures from this time, retrospectively. For instance, in 1996 it was stated that 'Spice' had a first week sale of 155,000 copies, but in 2007 it was revealed to have been downgraded, and the first week was stated as being 114,000 instead. So SYBT may have sold more than 60,000 since 1996, if 900k wasn't actually accurate in the first place.

I really wish sales data wasn't so secretive!
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 18 Apr 2016, 21:21

So, to increase sales, one would have to buy it by iTunes or amazon?
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 18 Apr 2016, 21:27

Yep! And from within the UK.

I'm sure it'll do it eventually... but who knows how long it'll take.
simby

Postby simby » 19 Apr 2016, 09:56

Jay wrote:As far as I know, the OCC are still dragging their feet when it comes to what they define a million seller as being. In the last year or so, they only make special mention of this if a song has actually *sold* a million (i.e. downloads/physicals). There's been a lot of singles that have crossed over the million "units" mark thanks to streaming, for instance Justin Bieber technically now has four singles that have crossed over a million, but OCC have made no mention of this having occurred.

So what I'm trying to say is, even if SYBT crosses the million "units" mark thanks to added streaming, I don't think the OCC would make special mention of it and there's a high chance we won't know about it unless it actually properly sells a million.

Having said that, our best hope of a sales update is an OCC article about it for its 20th anniversary, like IER says. I've noticed in the last few articles they've published that they're starting to give a combined sales figure (i.e. includes streaming) rather than just sales only.

simby wrote:so how many copies has SYBT sold according to the last update?

Unfortunately we don't know; the most recent total we have is 960,000 as of August 2015 (and it's also known that this figure doesn't include streaming data).

This has been its progress:

960,000 - August 2015
950,000 - October 2013
940,833 - June 2009
937,000 - 2008
915,000 - By the end of 1999
900,000 - By the end of 1996

Thank you! :)
Sglika

Postby Sglika » 06 Jun 2016, 00:22

Say you'll be there?

Headlines?
tommie

Postby tommie » 06 Jun 2016, 12:42

Javi wrote:Can't believe it has only sold 60k in the last 19 years, it being one of their most famous songs (or at least, the video is one of their most recognizable/iconic ones).

To be fair, before downloads / streaming, the only way to get it was either on the cd single or the album and download sales didn't really start to take off until around 2005. I think selling around 5k per year considering that they're not an active group anymore is decent - I presume we'll get a bit of a sales spike this year with the 20th coming up + hopefully streaming data being included. :)

Return to “Spice Girls”