Who of them could've been solo intrnational star back in 96?

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.
msk-spice

Who of them could've been solo intrnational star back in 96?

Postby msk-spice » 25 Apr 2014, 16:40

I know that collaboration of these 5 picies was awesome , so bright and in your face but i was wondering after thinking if they would have had a deal , own deal with a Virgin with the same image they had in a group who of them could have the biggest break?
Mel B can sign, dance. rapping, beautiful face and body-full package i suppose she had a good chance to be successful all over a world for some years.
Emma is so commerical cute , very good-sweet voice she also could be a star if she had been discovered as solo artist in 96 than Britney should have been blamed for spitting image hahah
Geri got cute face, cheecky personality and if she had been an act like Milli Vanilli with songs recorded by other person she obviously would have been a super star for 2 years till losing freah-young look.
Mel C got a good-stong voice but i don't think she could be a huge star by her own . I know she had a very high profile with a solo after spice but there's a diffirence between breakthroug and after having a fan base to make a good songs...other girls didn't have such a good solo stuff. But may be having a good songs she could have a bit success i mean she don't have a star vibe and watching here solo interview is a very boring thing.
Victoria hm i really dont know...i like her pronunciation during sining songs and she couls sing in a key but it's not enough((( We all know she can sing live and released albums and singles but she took vocal lessons after her work in a group i think back in 1996 she sang worse. Anyway she got class and she very sophisticated.
Your thought?
Gonnabe

Re: Who of the could've been solo intrnational star back in

Postby Gonnabe » 25 Apr 2014, 16:46

We know that they had tried as solo acts before the group. None of them could make it. Geri had been trying the longest and came pretty close on making it as a TV Persona in Turkey. They all brought their different spice in the group. They needed eachother and after 18 years it seems like they still do...
ForeverSpiceBoy
Location: Make it loud, 'cos the world is my dance floor! (Mexican living in Chile)

Postby ForeverSpiceBoy » 25 Apr 2014, 16:52

Gonnabe wrote:They needed eachother and after 18 years it seems like they still do...

Except for VB
msk-spice

Postby msk-spice » 25 Apr 2014, 16:54

Gonnabe wrote:We know that they had tried as solo acts before the group. None of them could make it. Geri had been trying the longest and came pretty close on making it as a TV Persona in Turkey. They all brought their different spice in the group. They needed eachother and after 18 years it seems like they still do...

I don't think Emma tried being a solo singer she was too young...I just imagine if any of them got a deal just imagine.
Gonnabe

Postby Gonnabe » 25 Apr 2014, 17:02

msk-spice wrote:
Gonnabe wrote:We know that they had tried as solo acts before the group. None of them could make it. Geri had been trying the longest and came pretty close on making it as a TV Persona in Turkey. They all brought their different spice in the group. They needed eachother and after 18 years it seems like they still do...

I don't think Emma tried being a solo singer she was too young...I just imagine if any of them got a deal just imagine.

She tried to be famous. She tried out as a child model and child/ teen actress in British Soaps
The_Pope

Re: Who of them could've been solo intrnational star back in

Postby The_Pope » 25 Apr 2014, 17:12

None
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 25 Apr 2014, 17:13

Just because they didn't make it at 19-21 doesn't mean they wouldn't have made it at all. As if all famous stars started their careers before their 20s.

I think if the Spice Girls had never existed, Geri Halliwell would've ended up being famous. I don't know how, but she probably would. The other 4 girls wated to be famous but because of their jobs (singing, dancing, acting...) while Geri wanted to be famous, just famous. So I'm almost sure she would've found her way to the spotlight.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
Joanhs

Postby Joanhs » 25 Apr 2014, 17:39

Hmm Not artist, but I can imagine Emma or Mel B actually caring about an acting-career.
Mel C Would some way or another have been some sort of musician, but maybe only as a local-act, like her mother. She did try out for musicals, so who know.
Victoria would maybe just have been married and never done anything else
Toefje
Banned

Postby Toefje » 25 Apr 2014, 17:42

Mel B had the full package if you ask me. And shes not even my fav at all. Her personality ruined her solo career tbh.
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 25 Apr 2014, 17:53

Emma had the potential to have the greatest solo career after the Spice Girls. She was arguably the most popular member of the group. Emma has a great voice for pop music and she has the looks too.

The problem is I don't think Emma ever had the drive to become a solo star. That was more up Geri and Melanie C's alley. Virgin was very stupid with the girls solo careers in the U.S. They each could have had a couple of hits in America. It seemed the record company or the girls themselves didn't want to invest the time and effort to promote in the U.S.
"Don't you break my heart. It's so plain to see that you should PM me.
Don't you break my heart. If these leaks should end I will never post again"
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 25 Apr 2014, 18:14

Sideout wrote:She was arguably the most popular member of the group

She wasn't. Geri and Melanie C were. Not saying they were the best, but they definitely were the most popular members.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
msk-spice

Postby msk-spice » 25 Apr 2014, 18:17

Joanhs wrote:Hmm Not artist, but I can imagine Emma or Mel B actually caring about an acting-career.
Mel C Would some way or another have been some sort of musician, but maybe only as a local-act, like her mother. She did try out for musicals, so who know.
Victoria would maybe just have been married and never done anything else

did u remember Victoria was a member of another pop band even after joining the girls only after some month of living with "Touch" she left that band. I remember reading that that band was gonna be representing in fron of lables. Who know what could happan with that band anyway they would never had such succes as the spice girls.
msk-spice

Postby msk-spice » 25 Apr 2014, 18:23

Sideout wrote:Emma had the potential to have the greatest solo career after the Spice Girls. She was arguably the most popular member of the group. Emma has a great voice for pop music and she has the looks too.

The problem is I don't think Emma ever had the drive to become a solo star. That was more up Geri and Melanie C's alley. Virgin was very stupid with the girls solo careers in the U.S. They each could have had a couple of hits in America. It seemed the record company or the girls themselves didn't want to invest the time and effort to promote in the U.S.

Do u think girls asked to promote it in America? If not i think they had to fight for it as they did it with the group arguing for releasing wannabe instead of another song. I don't understand Virgin ...each of them could + 300 000 - 500 000 copies of albums to each of the album.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 25 Apr 2014, 18:54

Had reality TV existed in the early 90s I think Geri would have been on Big Brother in a shot haha
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 25 Apr 2014, 20:22

LOL - none of this topic is actually on topic!

I think Melanie B actually may have had a shot at it - terrible singer in my opinion, but she had the drive and soul and personality to make it in that era. Melanie C I think would have done alright too.
TheBiatches

Postby TheBiatches » 25 Apr 2014, 20:48

IER wrote:
Sideout wrote:She was arguably the most popular member of the group

She wasn't. Geri and Melanie C were. Not saying they were the best, but they definitely were the most popular members.

She was. She and Geri won almost every poll back in the day, and Emma still wins them to this day. Melanie C was the favourite in Spain, Mel B was the favourite in France, but on a global level, Emma was the most popular one especially thanks to their little girls fanbase. That is also why more Baby Spice dolls were produced.
IER wrote:Just because they didn't make it at 19-21 doesn't mean they wouldn't have made it at all. As if all famous stars started their careers before their 20s.

I think if the Spice Girls had never existed, Geri Halliwell would've ended up being famous. I don't know how, but she probably would. The other 4 girls wated to be famous but because of their jobs (singing, dancing, acting...) while Geri wanted to be famous, just famous. So I'm almost sure she would've found her way to the spotlight.

I agree with this. She would have auditioned for Big Brother.
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 25 Apr 2014, 22:04

Yeah I agree re Emma and Geri being the most popular back then, they used to win all the polls victoria and Melanie C always came last lol.

Never knew Melanie was popular in Spain always thought her success/popularity came about because she became the most edgy and versatile of the spice girls with her initial solo releases
TheBiatches

Postby TheBiatches » 25 Apr 2014, 22:12

spicefreak wrote:Yeah I agree re Emma and Geri being the most popular back then, they used to win all the polls victoria and Melanie C always came last lol.

Never knew Melanie was popular in Spain always thought her success/popularity came about because she became the most edgy and versatile of the spice girls with her initial solo releases

I remember a poll in the Mirror back in late 1996 or early 1997 and Emma was #1 an Geri was #2, the other three were far behind.

Also, this is from an article about the dolls:

"The Spice Girls doll line generated an estimated $150 million in United States sales alone. The dolls are supposed to have sold a total of 11 million pieces around the world.

When Galoob manufactured these dolls in the 90s, they made more for what they felt they would sell of, so they made five Baby Spice dolls for every four Ginger Spice dolls for every three Scary Spice dolls for every two Posh Spice dolls for every one Sporty Spice doll."

That was the order of popularity really.

Melanie C won a Bravo magazine poll back in the day here in Spain, while Mel B won the very same poll in France and if I'm not wrong, Victoria won it in Germany? Emma also won a similar poll in Japan.

When they went solo, Melanie C wasn't half as popular as Geri in Spain, but she was around Europe.
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 25 Apr 2014, 23:48

^^ Yes, as a solo artist Geri always was the most popular in Spain. She speaks Spanish and her songs were very spanish radio friendly.
Melanie had her moments in Spain but not even near Geri's success. Also, Geri went several times to Spain to promote, Melanie went once per album until BI.
Maurice
Custom Title: Dutch Music Freak

Postby Maurice » 26 Apr 2014, 00:00

I think without the Spice Girls Emma would have ended up in Eastenders or Coronation Street. I remember Emma auditioned for the role of Bianca in Eastenders, could you imagine Emma screaming Rickahhhh almost every episode :devil:
macspice

Postby macspice » 26 Apr 2014, 06:40

Sideout wrote: Virgin was very stupid with the girls solo careers in the U.S. They each could have had a couple of hits in America. It seemed the record company or the girls themselves didn't want to invest the time and effort to promote in the U.S.

This is so true, I remember after goodbye came out and they faded away, it seemed like they just vanished to the average person. I remember kids and parents talking about them and saying what happened to them? Are they still around?! People were still buying the albums and the movie on VHS, after the breakup there was still enormous interest.

Kids listened to the album SpiceWorld well into 1999 with ZERO publicity or activity from the Spice camp. I mean it was like not a peep for two years. It felt like they were just throwing their success away.

The average person heard look at me from Geri and then that was it, nothing else.

Of course after that time period, music started changing in 2000 and becoming more urban, and the feeling seemed to be "Ok, you ditched us for 2 years, so now we don't care for you anymore"

Honestly it felt like the Spice Girls ABANDONED America. And I remember it clearly. :/ I think we felt snubbed/cut off.

Solo efforts would have helped out a lot, I think Melanie c/b could have been famous on their own even without the spice girls, so certainly after. :/ sigh
Azaria

Postby Azaria » 26 Apr 2014, 10:03

Honestly none of them have achieved international success (in music) really. Geri definitely had a successful solo run, but overall faded pretty quickly. While most people may recognize them as Spice Girls, most people don't recognize them by their actual names (spare Victoria). None of them have voices that really appeal openly. Victoria has a weak range. I feel Geri's is a bit better, but not by much. Mel B is passable in some cases, but honestly not the best. Emma has a pleasant voice but I honestly don't think she's incredibly vocally talented. Melanie C has a voice that doesn't appeal to a lot of people. Most of my friends like her the least to be honest. It took me a long time to actually appreciate her, her unique voice can be a bit turnoffish. So no, I really don't think any of them could have succeeded as solo artists on their own merits. The five together made a brand, an image, and a group that was easy to relate to. Alone they just don't stand out as much.
Download my free EP! Featuring covers of songs by One Direction, Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne, Lindsay Lohan, and Christina Aguilera!
http://www.facebook.com/azariamageemusic
Gonnabe

Postby Gonnabe » 26 Apr 2014, 12:28

TheBiatches wrote:
spicefreak wrote:Yeah I agree re Emma and Geri being the most popular back then, they used to win all the polls victoria and Melanie C always came last lol.

I remember a poll in the Mirror back in late 1996 or early 1997 and Emma was #1 an Geri was #2, the other three were far behind.
"The Spice Girls doll line generated an estimated $150 million in United States sales alone. The dolls are supposed to have sold a total of 11 million pieces around the world.
When Galoob manufactured these dolls in the 90s, they made more for what they felt they would sell of, so they made five Baby Spice dolls for every four Ginger Spice dolls for every three Scary Spice dolls for every two Posh Spice dolls for every one Sporty Spice doll."

Melanie C won a Bravo magazine poll back in the day here in Spain, while Mel B won the very same poll in France and if I'm not wrong, Victoria won it in Germany? Emma also won a similar poll in Japan.
When they went solo, Melanie C wasn't half as popular as Geri in Spain, but she was around Europe.

The reason behind the huge Emma dolls was because Galloob forced the stores to buy 5 emma dolls for every group "set". Meaning if a store bought ten sets (10 individual spice girl dolls, 50 dolls) they were HAD to buy another 50 Emma dolls. This was the deal in Europe at least. I know through a big toy store chain here in Greece and a friend who worked in a toystore in France and told me the same thing.
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 26 Apr 2014, 13:19

Gonnabe wrote:
TheBiatches wrote:

The reason behind the huge Emma dolls was because Galloob forced the stores to buy 5 emma dolls for every group "set". Meaning if a store bought ten sets (10 individual spice girl dolls, 50 dolls) they were HAD to buy another 50 Emma dolls. This was the deal in Europe at least. I know through a big toy store chain here in Greece and a friend who worked in a toystore in France and told me the same thing.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why on earth would Galloob want to sell more of one specific doll and so force stores to buy more of the Emma doll that the others? Businesses supply for demand not from personal preference :rolleyes:
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 26 Apr 2014, 13:30

They knew Emma was of little interest to the consumer so they had to find a way to shift their stock, even if retailers cut the price down to 49p. Once the stock was out of their hands it wasn,t there problem anymore x

Return to “Spice Girls”