Who of them could've been solo intrnational star back in 96?

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.
TheBiatches

Re: Who of them could've been solo intrnational star back in

Postby TheBiatches » 26 Apr 2014, 13:35

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:They knew Emma was of little interest to the consumer so they had to find a way to shift their stock, even if retailers cut the price down to 49p. Once the stock was out of their hands it wasn,t there problem anymore x

You need to cure your obsession with Emma, her face, her skin, her weight and her career.
spicefreak wrote:That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why on earth would Galloob want to sell more of one specific doll and so force stores to buy more of the Emma doll that the others? Businesses supply for demand not from personal preference :rolleyes:

Exactly! If they produced more Emma dolls it was purely because they knew they would sell more of those. And that was the case. During the American tour in 1998 shops would run out all the time and there was even a waiting list.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 26 Apr 2014, 14:52

TheBiatches wrote:You need to cure your obsession with Emma, her face, her skin, her weight and her career.

maybe it,s you that needs to deal with your obsession in refuting my opinons (: x
TheBiatches

Postby TheBiatches » 26 Apr 2014, 15:11

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:
TheBiatches wrote:You need to cure your obsession with Emma, her face, her skin, her weight and her career.

maybe it,s you that needs to deal with your obsession in refuting my opinons (: x

The first step towards recovery is admitting you have a problem, VP. Good luck with that.
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 26 Apr 2014, 15:34

there is no problem as I wasn,t bashing her in any way (: x
Amaranthine18

Postby Amaranthine18 » 27 Apr 2014, 06:26

Gonnabe wrote:
TheBiatches wrote:
spicefreak wrote:Yeah I agree re Emma and Geri being the most popular back then, they used to win all the polls victoria and Melanie C always came last lol.
Never knew Melanie was popular in Spain always thought her success/popularity came about because she became the most edgy and versatile of the spice girls with her initial solo releases

I remember a poll in the Mirror back in late 1996 or early 1997 and Emma was #1 an Geri was #2, the other three were far behind.
Also, this is from an article about the dolls:
"The Spice Girls doll line generated an estimated $150 million in United States sales alone. The dolls are supposed to have sold a total of 11 million pieces around the world.
When Galoob manufactured these dolls in the 90s, they made more for what they felt they would sell of, so they made five Baby Spice dolls for every four Ginger Spice dolls for every three Scary Spice dolls for every two Posh Spice dolls for every one Sporty Spice doll."

That was the order of popularity really.
Melanie C won a Bravo magazine poll back in the day here in Spain, while Mel B won the very same poll in France and if I'm not wrong, Victoria won it in Germany? Emma also won a similar poll in Japan.
When they went solo, Melanie C wasn't half as popular as Geri in Spain, but she was around Europe.

The reason behind the huge Emma dolls was because Galloob forced the stores to buy 5 emma dolls for every group "set". Meaning if a store bought ten sets (10 individual spice girl dolls, 50 dolls) they were HAD to buy another 50 Emma dolls. This was the deal in Europe at least. I know through a big toy store chain here in Greece and a friend who worked in a toystore in France and told me the same thing.

Why is that? Because Emma's dolls is the most selling compared to the other four that time. They wouldn't do that without any valid reason.
allatsea

Postby allatsea » 27 Apr 2014, 10:33

Sideout wrote:E mma has a great voice for pop music and she has the looks too.

I think she has a really nice voice now but I don't think it was anything special back in the day - even in AGLM era it wasn't strong. There was improvement during the Free Me period but it really seems to have come into its own from ROTSG era. I think Melanie C has the biggest voice and instantly recognisable but some love it and some don't. Think Emma has more general appeal like Kylie or Britney.
msk-spice

Postby msk-spice » 27 Apr 2014, 12:41

allatsea wrote:
Sideout wrote:E mma has a great voice for pop music and she has the looks too.

I think she has a really nice voice now but I don't think it was anything special back in the day - even in AGLM era it wasn't strong. There was improvement during the Free Me period but it really seems to have come into its own from ROTSG era. I think Melanie C has the biggest voice and instantly recognisable but some love it and some don't. Think Emma has more general appeal like Kylie or Britney.

Was Emma's voice stronge in Touch - spice-SW era? May be after 98 she guit taking vocal lessons and started again with ROTSG era.
rusty_nail

Postby rusty_nail » 27 Apr 2014, 15:10

I'd vote Emma. Even though she wasn't a vocal powerhouse, she did have the perfect voice for a certain type of pop song. I think Jam and Lewis once claimed she had the most pure voice they'd ever worked with...and since those guys have worked with everyone, that really is saying something. Beyond that, her image would've been very marketable. She very well could've been presented as a sort of 90s Olivia Newton John.

I think Mel C had a unique, interesting enough voice to break out as a solo star without the group...but her image would have to be different. Nothing about her '96 look screamed star quality. She would have to be edgier...perhaps be the UK answer to Alanis Moirsette.

The others, I don't really think so...as their voices are far more limited in range...and writers/producers would have to tailor songs to fit them. Coming out of something as massive as the Spice Girls, I think collaborators were willing to do that...but I don't see it working for someone trying to break into the biz solo.
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 27 Apr 2014, 23:17

It's a shame Emma basically threw away her solo career. Free Me was ahead of the curve, but she went 5 steps back with Life In Mono. I can't even listen to that album without falling asleep. In my opinion all of the demos that leaked that she recorded in between albums were a lot better than the songs that ended up on Life In Mono.
"Don't you break my heart. It's so plain to see that you should PM me.
Don't you break my heart. If these leaks should end I will never post again"
Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Apr 2014, 11:53

TheBiatches wrote:
IER wrote:
Sideout wrote:She was arguably the most popular member of the group

She wasn't. Geri and Melanie C were. Not saying they were the best, but they definitely were the most popular members.

She was. She and Geri won almost every poll back in the day, and Emma still wins them to this day. Melanie C was the favourite in Spain, Mel B was the favourite in France, but on a global level, Emma was the most popular one especially thanks to their little girls fanbase. That is also why more Baby Spice dolls were produced.

Ofc Emma was the most popular and Mel C was the least. In Poland Emma was always winning all popularity polls.
I remember once reading that "it's because we Poles love natural, cute, all smiley, next door type, plump(!!!) blondes and she's one of them"!
Peter

Re: Who of them could've been solo intrnational star back in 96?

Postby Peter » 30 Jul 2017, 03:22

Bumped it for the ones who wanted to read the original dolls popularity source:)
KingOfSpiceWorld

Postby KingOfSpiceWorld » 30 Jul 2017, 11:12

They probably made so many Emma dolls because she looked more like Barbie so they expected Barbie's audience to buy her.
I only have the super star set but I was hoping to sell it big during a reunion. Unfortunately that didn't happen.
1000 monks. 1000 religions.
DannyDirnt

Postby DannyDirnt » 30 Jul 2017, 12:32

None of them would have made it by themselves. There weren't any especially good singers nor dancers in the group, and their success was pretty much due to their cheekiness, their attitude and the way they interacted and embodied friendship. Maybe the one who could have got somewhere is Geri, because she knows/knew how to make really catchy songs and she was very loud.
thespiceboy
Previous username(s): mikemgmve
Custom Title: aka MikeMGMVE

Postby thespiceboy » 12 Aug 2017, 20:25

everyone's kidding themselves if they think any of them would have made it on their own. It was the sum that was greater than the individual parts. They were electric and magnetic as a group, and that's what made them a force. and it all hit at just the right moment in time.
Innit sad that you can't just turn the computer off?
alexgirardii
Custom Title: back in business

Postby alexgirardii » 13 Aug 2017, 01:09

Considering how much was in 96... I think MelB.
And it's crazy because Sporty MelC would be huge nowadays. Look at MØ.
msk-spice

Postby msk-spice » 13 Aug 2017, 10:57

I think duet Geri and Emma or Geri and Mel B could've been popular for some years and Emma with a good songs could've had some hits and a fan base and too for two years cos girls faded out too fast appearance wise .
msk-spice

Postby msk-spice » 13 Aug 2017, 11:14

DannyDirnt wrote:None of them would have made it by themselves. There weren't any especially good singers nor dancers in the group, and their success was pretty much due to their cheekiness, their attitude and the way they interacted and embodied friendship. Maybe the one who could have got somewhere is Geri, because she knows/knew how to make really catchy songs and she was very loud.

Even Mel B ain't enough decent dancer for you. In 1996 she looked terrific , her gorgeous face and body, she could sing and she could sing. i remember reading her book and she said that she was about to starre in American movie but the proposal was to be cancelled due to auditions for "Touch". I think that fact says something. Also Emma would've broken some doors and ended up starring in british soap or even singng. Remeber that Emma was the youngest and she hadn't so much time at persuing her goals.
kamel

Postby kamel » 13 Aug 2017, 13:33

I think Geri would had being a reality tv star on Big brother or other shows
Peter

Postby Peter » 13 Aug 2017, 15:23

kamel wrote:I think Geri would had being a reality tv star on Big brother or other shows

Big Brother premiered in 2001 and it was first reality tv show of that kind so hardly possible:/.
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 13 Aug 2017, 16:07

kamel wrote:I think Geri would had being a reality tv star on Big brother or other shows

Definitely. Unless she had managed to get her money's worth for those demo tapes she was laying down just around the time she went to that Spice-audition, or she managed to become a tv host, she would have been on an early reality show.

She is kind of the blueprint of a reality star, albeit a reality star that actually have some talent.

Out of the other 4 I see Mel B and Emma as someone who could've made it. But minor celebrities, none of them would've made it big.

Victoria would've settled, back then she seemed rather lazy to me. And Melanie C was an early Mø, but the world wasn't ready for Mø until 15 years later, one of them the group paved the way for. Without the group female artists would've been in a different situation than they are today.
tommie

Postby tommie » 14 Aug 2017, 14:01

Realistically? None of them. That's why they were put in a girl group to begin with.
Peter

Postby Peter » 14 Aug 2017, 14:41

tommie wrote:Realistically? None of them. That's why they were put in a girl group to begin with.

That's why Diana Ross and Beyoncé were put in a group, too.
Poosh

Postby Poosh » 14 Aug 2017, 15:26

Mel B! She was definitely the one with the most charisma during their 94 audition.
tommie

Postby tommie » 14 Aug 2017, 17:48

Peter wrote:
tommie wrote:Realistically? None of them. That's why they were put in a girl group to begin with.

That's why Diana Ross and Beyoncé were put in a group, too.

Had Diana Ross and Beyonce been launched as solo stars to begin with, then yes, both of them would've bombed on their asses - especially weak-voiced Diana.
MarcelWithLuv
Custom Title: Marcel With Luv

Postby MarcelWithLuv » 16 Aug 2017, 22:37

macspice wrote:
Sideout wrote: Virgin was very stupid with the girls solo careers in the U.S. They each could have had a couple of hits in America. It seemed the record company or the girls themselves didn't want to invest the time and effort to promote in the U.S.

This is so true, I remember after goodbye came out and they faded away, it seemed like they just vanished to the average person. I remember kids and parents talking about them and saying what happened to them? Are they still around?! People were still buying the albums and the movie on VHS, after the breakup there was still enormous interest.

Kids listened to the album SpiceWorld well into 1999 with ZERO publicity or activity from the Spice camp. I mean it was like not a peep for two years. It felt like they were just throwing their success away.

The average person heard look at me from Geri and then that was it, nothing else.

Of course after that time period, music started changing in 2000 and becoming more urban, and the feeling seemed to be "Ok, you ditched us for 2 years, so now we don't care for you anymore"

Honestly it felt like the Spice Girls ABANDONED America. And I remember it clearly. :/ I think we felt snubbed/cut off.

Solo efforts would have helped out a lot, I think Melanie c/b could have been famous on their own even without the spice girls, so certainly after. :/ sigh

Hey, can you send me the original picture of your signature?
I will do something different

Return to “Spice Girls”