WANNABE ☆ Discussion Thread (1st Single from 'Spice')

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.

Wannabe:

I love it
63%
I like it
20%
I don't mind it (neither particularly like it or dislike it)
13%
I dislike it
4%
I hate it
1%

Total votes: 193
Jay
Mod

WANNABE ☆ Discussion Thread (1st Single from 'Spice')

Postby Jay » 16 Oct 2015, 18:30

Wannabe | Say You'll Be There | 2 Become 1 | Mama | Who Do You Think You Are | Spice Up Your Life | Too Much | Stop | Viva Forever | Goodbye | Holler | Let Love Lead The Way | Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)

'Wannabe' is of course the Spice Girls' debut single, and is their most successful song. It is undoubtedly their most recognisable hit worldwide, and it's by far their most listened to and watched video on the internet - still generating millions of listens 20 years on from its release. However, on DenDen I have noticed that this single isn't too well regarded amongst their most ardent fan base.

So, what do you think about 'Wannabe'? Do you still love this song, or can't you stand it? Vote in the poll, and discuss!

Additionally, feel free to discuss the song in general, anything about it! Suggestions: The video / the artwork / the lyrics / what you thought about Wannabe back in 90s and if that view has changed / if you remember the first time you heard it / whether you think the song deserved the huge success it achieved... and whatever else you can think of... let's talk all things Wannabe!

Post for 20th Anniversary:
Spoiler: show
Celebrate 20 years of the Spice Girls and their iconic debut single 'Wannabe'!

In this thread, post anything that is in relation to the 20th anniversary of the Spice Girls/Wannabe. For instance: online articles, any TV/radio stations that are airing anything in regards to the anniversary, etc.

Feel free to share your memories of 20 years ago, and also how you're choosing to celebrate!

Friday 8th July 2016 is the big day!
Jay
Mod

Re: Wannabe

Postby Jay » 16 Oct 2015, 18:32

This is what I wrote about 'Wannabe' in its commentary for the 2014 rate (where it placed 19th, below many other Spice Girls singles & a fair few solo singles) -

Jay wrote:This is where it all began, getting on for 19 years ago! The Spice Girls launched themselves into the public eye with 'Wannabe', a very in-your-face pop song packed with quotable lyrics such as "I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want" / "friendship never ends" and the seemingly bizarre sounding "zig-a-zig ha"!

Although the Spice Girls themselves were resolute that this should be their first single, Virgin Records weren't so sure about its chances. They initially wanted to go with 'Love Thing', a song the label viewed as being a good song to carefully ease the group into the public's consciousness, before releasing a second, more impactful single. The girls didn't agree with this logic, and eventually convinced the label that 'Wannabe' was the right choice. Nevertheless Virgin were still unsure about the song's potential. The song was remixed a few times, and Virgin were keen to go with an R&B sounding version of the track. The girls weren't having it, and pushed for the Matt Rowe & Richard Stannard produced song, with mixing by Mark "Spike" Stent. They got their own way, of course.

The 'Wannabe' video shoot took place in April 1996. The concept was to recreate the madness of the Spice Girls' unique way of presenting themselves when scouting for a manager and label - "taking over the place and running a riot". The girls wanted an uncontrolled looking video, and that was certainly what the finished result looked like - three minutes of mischief making in the Midland Grand Hotel in St Pancras, London (now known as the St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel). In recent years, some fans have visited the hotel to get an all-important picture on the staircase where the girls performed a routine during the video.

Yet again the girls faced an unhappy label, who were quite horrified with the video. Virgin's criticisms included: The lighting made the video look too gloomy / the girls were clumsy during the best takes, bumping into furniture & looking behind themselves (this was basically just Geri, wasn't it? :p) / the video featured "old people" / the girls were freezing cold, "which showed itself in various different ways" ("erect nipples"!). Virgin were keen to re-shoot the video, particularly for the American market, but the girls were steadfast - the video was fine in their eyes. Virgin tentatively sent the video to music channels on a trial basis. The reaction was unprecedented - within a couple of hours of premièring on The Box, the video was requested so many times that the video immediately topped the viewers' chart, and remained on top for three months. The video was aired up to 70 times a week at its peak, which made it the most successful music video in the channel's history.

The video's success lead to the single's success. Initially it started out at a promising midweek #6, and rose to #3 for its official first week position in the UK. A week later, the single climbed to #1 (at which point the girls were on the other side of the world, promoting in Japan). From that moment onwards, the UK was swept up in the phenomenon that was this new girl group called the Spice Girls. 'Wannabe' spent 7 weeks at #1 in all, making it the biggest smash hit of summer 1996. It went on to be the second best selling single of 1996, only behind 'Killing Me Softly' by the Fugees. It was evident that the girls' hunch about the potential of 'Wannabe' was completely spot on. The girls had unwaveringly belief in themselves, and that belief had paid off, big time. The song went on to sell well over 1.2 million copies in the UK, and to date the song is still within the Top 100 best selling songs of all-time in the UK.

The song wasn't just a massive success in the UK, of course. It topped the charts in over 30 other countries - most notably in the US, at the beginning of 1997. 'Wannabe' entered the US charts at #11 - the highest debut by a British group since The Beatles. It quickly climbed to #1, where it spent 4 weeks at the top of the charts. As of 2014, 'Wannabe' wasn't far off total US sales of 3 million, with physical singles & downloads combined. 'Wannabe' is also said to have sold over 7 million copies worldwide, which makes it the best selling single by a girl group of all-time.

In conclusion, 'Wannabe' is a hugely successful & iconic song, and if you were to ask average Joe to name a Spice Girls song, the majority would not only be able to name this song, but sing some of the lyrics too. Is 19th in this rate justified, which is in fact the exact same position it achieved in the 2012 rate? Perhaps. The most dedicated of Spice Girls fans have long maintained that 'Wannabe' is nowhere near being the group's best single, and this rate certainly reflects that notion - there's still 9 other group singles to come. We also reckon that there are 9 solo singles which topped 'Wannabe'. Those 18 songs all owe something to the massive success of 'Wannabe' though. Who knows how different things could have been if the girls had been subservient to their label and not pushed hard for 'Wannabe'?

viewtopic.php?p=4021855#p4021855
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 16 Oct 2015, 19:29

Voted like it.

Its so overrated and I hate how its the one track they are remembered for giving their excellent singles discography.

But its a very catchy song.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 16 Oct 2015, 19:29

(Interesting topic idea and I hope u do one for each single / group and solo in due time)...

I remember not being that impressed with the song or video... my sister was into them... and I ended up singing along without knowing who they were or what they're name was... but it was catchy as hell!

When getting the album (beginning or 1997, I think), of course it was my sister's but I immediately was drawn into Geri... the face, smile and colorfulness... (I liked Emma second)...

I ended up liking the video cause it was fun and weird... but remember all kinds of comments to it... like a friend saying "Geri's a lesbian cause she grabs Emma's ass in one scene" and I was kinda mortified and ashamed... but didn't dwell much on it

Since in Perú we didn't have much TV shows that aired any kind of performance -just the ocassional rare TV performance in Surprise Surprise...- I didn't see any performance till later on when the internet madness began and I could see lots of performances...

I enjoy most of them but I don't think "live" (really live) it captured the song's cuteness: They all seem to sing it like a mockery (even if it's a kinda easy song, they kinda karaoke the song...) ... Mel B always shouts her rap part and go all growl-y instead of really singing it... And when Geri left, Melanie C really didn't sound good on the rap part (acknowledged by Melanie C herself)...

I love the artwork... it's simple yet stylish... I think most of their artwork it's great... I just hate how some other artists had HORRIBLE single covers (...Baby One More Time, IMO) but the girls maintained a certain level of quality throughout their whole catalogue...

As for the b-side... I don't think ANY b-side is much better than any álbum song (a few are GREAT, I love "Walk Of Life")... Like for example Melanie C's b-side where you could rightfully replace a b-side to a few "Reason" songs... IMO, the girls had average b-sides (a few good) but they were good as b-sides... and "Bumper To Bumper", for me, is that... avergage...

The song is iconic, catchy but I prefer others from them...

Still, AWESOME beginning to their career and would not change it for another :D
onebigfan

Postby onebigfan » 16 Oct 2015, 19:49

Strangely enough I don't remember hearing the song on radio or seeing the music video on tv when it came out, the first time I heard the song was probably in Spice World The Movie. I was totally unaware of their existence (apart from an article or two I remember seeing in a magazine, but never really took much notice) until I saw Spice World The Movie in 1998 and everyone started going spice girls mad, it was spicemania! Really wish I could remember a distinctive time or place I might've heard the song in 1996 or 1997, but I don't. Weird.
VodkaMouth

Postby VodkaMouth » 17 Oct 2015, 00:16

I like it, there is no doubt the song is fun and, at the end of the day, I became a fan of the girls thanks to it.

However, if this was released today I would absolutely hate it. And not because it would sound dated.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 17 Oct 2015, 00:26

I loved it back in the day, got sick of it and loathed it for a while and now I'm back full circle to loving it. It is still so unlike any other song you will ever hear which is part of the reason it was so successful.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
littleta

Postby littleta » 17 Oct 2015, 00:29

the first tiem i heard it, i was 7 o 8 years old. and i remember trying to copy the music video with sister and cousin in my house lol
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 17 Oct 2015, 03:59

It's (unfortunately) the song they are known for, but also Stop and Viva Forever are THE songs.
Savanna

Postby Savanna » 17 Oct 2015, 04:22

Fucking love it.
NearlyCivilized
Custom Title: vegans do it better

Postby NearlyCivilized » 17 Oct 2015, 15:17

There's nothing I dislike about this song. and 20 years later, I smile every time it comes on.
@jonnyrecord #horror
*Babyboy*
Previous username(s): babymen

Postby *Babyboy* » 17 Oct 2015, 15:41

Not their best song but I still love it.
7eleven

Postby 7eleven » 17 Oct 2015, 16:32

I love 'Wannabe' I just wish it wouldn't overshadow all of their other single releases.
onebigfan

Postby onebigfan » 17 Oct 2015, 16:45

I love how Wannabe and Stop, their first and last video with all five girls before the reunion, had a similar concept.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 17 Oct 2015, 20:09

Loved it, got over it and loved it again. It obviously isn't their best song, but it is the perfect pop song. In fact, as I said once, I think it's the most perfect pop song ever made. And basically the only song I've ever heard where all its parts are catchy recognizable iconic hooks. I wish they would get more credit for other hit singles, but 'Wannabe' was just too huge to ignore and everybody on every single developed country on Earth knew the song.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
SoSoDef

Postby SoSoDef » 17 Oct 2015, 20:49

I like it. The song I absolutely love is Spice Up Your Life.
I'm such a stan for that song :music:
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 17 Oct 2015, 21:54

I voted 'Love'. It's actually like 9th in my personal ranking of their singles, but that just shows how much I like their songs... nearly all of their singles are brilliant. There was a period of time when I didn't really like to listen to it (teenage years, I think) but it's grown in my affections again in recent years. It's a cleverly crafted pop song, and it's still unique almost 20 years later.
wannabe69
Location: My room, Home, San Juan, Alicante, Spain, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Postby wannabe69 » 18 Oct 2015, 02:53

BEST FUCKING SONG EVER.
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Postby Stas » 18 Oct 2015, 10:01

7eleven wrote:I love 'Wannabe' I just wish it wouldn't overshadow all of their other single releases.

Same thoughts. It's a shame how some people think that they only have one song/hit. Especially the younger generation.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 18 Oct 2015, 12:27

I have a friend who's at uni, and he must have sent me at least 5 or more snapchats of Wannabe playing at clubs or house parties (he knows I love the Spice Girls). (He was born a month after Wannabe came out! :'( ). So I would agree that for the youth of today, the Spice Girls = Wannabe.
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 18 Oct 2015, 12:33

At least they know them even if it's just for one song. For the youth of today, All Saints, Atomic Kitten, Bananarama, Sugababes, Pussycat Dolls and TLC = Who?
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
CoolCatFlash

Postby CoolCatFlash » 18 Oct 2015, 15:37

I think Wannabe has now transcended 'single' status and can now be considered to be a genuine iconic song.

What I mean by that is that many songs become huge - and sometimes bigger than anyone imagined -, Lady Gaga's Bad Romance for instance, however I think Wannabe represents a whole generation and time in pop music and pop culture in general. I think I'm correct in saying that Wannabe was recently announced as the most recognised song of all time which is a huge achievement considering the vast number of songs in the public domain.

Wannabe, to me, isn't necessarily a song anymore, it represents far more than a few lyrics and a melody.
i'm on my way to sexual healing do you wanna come?
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 18 Oct 2015, 16:07

CoolCatFlash wrote:I think Wannabe has now transcended 'single' status and can now be considered to be a genuine iconic song.

What I mean by that is that many songs become huge - and sometimes bigger than anyone imagined -, Lady Gaga's Bad Romance for instance, however I think Wannabe represents a whole generation and time in pop music and pop culture in general. I think I'm correct in saying that Wannabe was recently announced as the most recognised song of all time which is a huge achievement considering the vast number of songs in the public domain.

Wannabe, to me, isn't necessarily a song anymore, it represents far more than a few lyrics and a melody.

I agree with this, Wannabe is now very much something that represents a moment in time.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Brett
Custom Title: Fucking Love SGs

Postby Brett » 18 Oct 2015, 20:49

Love it! I remember when I first heard it and SYBT on the Spice Album.. I instantly fell in love with them. Wannabe is just pure fun and I can't help but enjoy it when I hear it.
OnYourRadar

Postby OnYourRadar » 18 Oct 2015, 21:33

I love it! From 2001 until 2012 I really turned off it - even during the reunion, but the Olympics shot it straight back to my heart!
Fly like an angel, heaven sent to me... :Angel:

Return to “Spice Girls”