STOP ☆ Discussion Thread (3rd Single from 'Spiceworld')

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.

Stop:

I love it
66%
I like it
26%
I don't mind it (neither particularly like it or dislike it)
6%
I dislike it
1%
I hate it
1%

Total votes: 111
Jay
Mod

STOP ☆ Discussion Thread (3rd Single from 'Spiceworld')

Postby Jay » 26 Oct 2015, 20:26

Wannabe | Say You'll Be There | 2 Become 1 | Mama | Who Do You Think You Are | Spice Up Your Life | Too Much | Stop | Viva Forever | Goodbye | Holler | Let Love Lead The Way | Headlines (Friendship Never Ends)

Stop what you're doing and reply to this thread about 'Stop'!

Possible discussion points: the video, the artwork, the lyrics, performances, its chart battle with Run DMC vs Jason Nevins in the UK... discuss anything to do with 'Stop'!

========================================

What I wrote about 'Stop' in the Spice Rate from 2014:

'Stop' was released as the third single from the Spice Girls' second album 'Spiceworld'. It's a Motown influenced pop song, which drew a favourable response from critics. The girls had started their 'Spiceworld' tour two weeks prior to the single's UK release, and were performing in Italy, France & Spain throughout the release week.

'Stop' was released in the same week as 'It's Like That' by Run DMC vs Jason Nevins, and early midweeks showed that 'It's Like That' was well ahead of 'Stop'. It seemed certain that the Spice Girls' string of #1 hits was about to come to an end, and sadly it did. 'Stop' achieved first week sales of 115,000 - respectable enough given that it was taken from an album which had already sold over a million copies. 'It's Like That's sold significantly more copies - 247,000, and went on to become a million seller. The fact the Spice Girls had missed out on #1 was actually newsworthy, but #2 was still a great position. The Spice Girls later referenced this chart battle during the Return of the Spice Girls tour (2007/8) - they included the intro of 'It's Like That' at the very start of 'Stop'.

I seem to remember that 'Stop' originally had a UK release date of 2nd March, but it was pushed back to 9th March. If they'd stuck with the original release date then 'Stop' may well have become their 7th UK #1 in a row. Céline Dion was #1 a week earlier with 'My Heart Will Go On', only requiring 112,000 copies to top the charts.

It's anyone's guess how much 'Stop' has sold to date in the UK, for reasons too long-winded to get into here, but it had sold 331,000 copies by the end of 1998. It hasn't sold 400,000 yet though because it hasn't been certified as gold. Hopefully it passes that threshold someday!

'Stop' didn't reach #1 anywhere in the world, but it did make the Top 3 in Canada & Ireland, and #5 in Australia. It peaked at #16 in the US, in the aftermath of Geri Halliwell leaving the group.

Despite 'Stop' being one of their worst selling singles in the UK, it seems to have grown into one of the group's best known signature hits in recent years! I don't think there's a particular reason why, but it's an undeniably catchy tune. One of the most recognisable elements of 'Stop' is its dance routine - with it easy to copy hand gestures, it's probably their best known routine.

Interestingly 'Stop' has ended up in 14th position in both the 2012 & the 2014 rates.

viewtopic.php?p=4022081#p4022081
Jay
Mod

Re: Stop

Postby Jay » 26 Oct 2015, 20:37

Firstly, I didn't realise until fairly recently that the photo shoot used for the 'Stop' covers took place almost a year prior to release. I wonder why they didn't use more up to date photos? Anyway, I like the artwork - very eye catching. I like that for one cover they had 'STOP' in a big font, and the other 'SPICE' (Girls).

A very obvious single choice I think, I don't think anything else would have been a better third choice - even if it is the song that stopped their run of #1s. Despite that, it has seemed for a while now that it is one of their more recognisable singles to the public / one of their signature hits.

I like the video a lot more now than I did at the time. I wish they'd update the still of the YouTube video. :p

I was never the kind of child to learn or imitate their dance moves, but I loved their 'Stop' routine. I think we can all do that one! :D

Performances... the 'Stop' performance at the Brits is enjoyable, and although there's a lot of energy to it, I still feel like it pales in comparison to the previous year's performance of 'Who Do You Think You Are' (which for me was great not just because of Geri's dress).
littleta

Postby littleta » 26 Oct 2015, 21:26

i have a serious question about this song.
i remember emma saying this was from spice right? well, in argentina there was a tv serie that was air at the beggining of 97, (a new chapter from monday to friday), and in some of the very first chapter, the begginig of stop sound in the background.
what was that about?

i will search one of the chapter when you can hear it
Dreamland47

Postby Dreamland47 » 26 Oct 2015, 21:33

Don't mind the song or video but not one of my favs. :(
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 26 Oct 2015, 21:48

Love it one of the best and most catchy pop songs of all time easily.

I remember when buying Spiceworld in November 1997 I played Stop more than any other track except SUYL. I knew it just had to be a single (that was confirmed when An Audience with aired soon after)
TeddyBear
Custom Title: hit the lights

Postby TeddyBear » 26 Oct 2015, 22:19

I like the song but that video is just ughh
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 26 Oct 2015, 23:51

It's overplayed and overrated. I also think that this reaching #2 was part of why Geri left. She probably thought the wheels were starting to fall off because it hadn't gone to #1.
James
Custom Title: Legacy member

Postby James » 27 Oct 2015, 00:08

Jamie wrote:It's overplayed and overrated. I also think that this reaching #2 was part of why Geri left. She probably thought the wheels were starting to fall off because it hadn't gone to #1.

I just noticed after all these years that Geri's waving as if to say "bye" on the cover. Very appropriate in retrospect.

Anyway. I don't think Stop has aged as well as some of the other singles but it's clearly a classic. Weird that it's one of the least selling singles yet one of the most remembered, though clearly the dance routine helped with that. Despite being #2 it was a fantastic single choice.

It was a bizarre package. I've never been a fan of the video and the CD singles were definitely lacking with live tracks & remixes. I've never understood the artwork either, a couple of photos from the video would have made more sense than a random photoshoot from nearly a year before.

I absolutely loved the Brits performance. Although I liked the ROTSG arrangement, I was a bit disappointed they didn't do more of the original routine.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 27 Oct 2015, 02:25

I remember being a bit miffed at the lack of B Sides. Maybe the lazy track listing was a factor in people not rushing to buy it?? Who knows.

I wish it would go Gold at some point. I feel it deserves that at the very least.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 27 Oct 2015, 02:49

CLASSIC! My fave song (one of them)... from the melody, to the vocals, to the dance routine... Everything about this, for me, is special.

If I'm walking down the Street and I wanna sing something, this ALWAYS pops into my head... it's like my mandatorial sing-a-long song.

I do have a few things I would've improved had I been in charge...

Starting from the cover, I've seen a version of the original one but instead of a pink background it's white and the letters ("Spice Girls" and "Stop") are in write writing... and I think it does look better... Not that I dislike it but it's a bit too Barbie for my taste...

Despite being an excellent motown song, I'm sad by the b-sides we got. All live verrsions... and nothing new. I wanted a new song... but maybe they didn't have anything to include... such a pity. As for "Ain't No Stopping Us Now"... dunno why it's labeled "Spice Girls FEATURING Luther Vandross" when it should be the other way around... he sings most of the song... (And I don't like it)

The video is... great somehow. I think each of them look PERFECT! I like the end opening sequence... it's so fits the song... and the last scene of them on the stage is iconic... but there are a few scenes during the video which are weird... like the pig walking by... Still, I like it...

The choreography is truly iconic!!! So simple but still sweet and tender, in a way...

One of their best performances is the Brits one... live, great look, the guys playing the trumpets in the background... really good (it won't top the previous one but still great)... The Victoria's Secret would've been great had they done it live

I like how they updated the choreography for the Return tour so it was modern, but still maintained the iconic simple moves...

I didn't know the cover was from a photoshoot done a previous year...

Being from South America (Perú), we didn't get physical releases, just a radio station playing the song... so when we got "Stop" on the radio there wasn't Run DMC's song along... so I found out about this story later on... way later on...

For me, such a pity it didn't reach #1 but I'm glad it's reached an iconic level in that it's so recognized by people
Brett
Custom Title: Fucking Love SGs

Postby Brett » 27 Oct 2015, 05:21

I REALLY like it, I don't love it.
7eleven

Postby 7eleven » 27 Oct 2015, 10:55

'STOP' is my absolute favorite uptempo Spice Girls song. I love everything about this song apart from it not reaching number 1.
onebigfan

Postby onebigfan » 27 Oct 2015, 18:29

Strangely it was one of my least favourite songs from them back in the day. I never liked it much for whatever reason. However, I like it now. It's a spice classic :)
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 27 Oct 2015, 21:07

numbar one in my hart x
Sideout

Postby Sideout » 28 Oct 2015, 01:20

Jamie wrote:It's overplayed and overrated. I also think that this reaching #2 was part of why Geri left. She probably thought the wheels were starting to fall off because it hadn't gone to #1.

"Don't you break my heart. It's so plain to see that you should PM me.
Don't you break my heart. If these leaks should end I will never post again"
VodkaMouth

Postby VodkaMouth » 28 Oct 2015, 02:14

I like it, but it was never one of my favourites. I do love it when it's played at the club and Simone and I couldn't care less about being cool and do the dance moves though :p
Charmingspice5
Custom Title: Show Me Love

Postby Charmingspice5 » 28 Oct 2015, 03:33

Love it, always been one of my favorites to dance too. The routine is so simple. I usually end up doing the routine whenever I hear it. Its habit, one of my top 10 fav songs overall by the girls.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 28 Oct 2015, 03:37

I think my favourite section of the song is "don't you know it's going too fast, racing so hard you know it won't last" (the bridge, I guess?). I love how that part sounds, a bit dramatic somehow. Everything else in the song is relatively cheery and cheesy, not that that is a criticism.
Dave87

Postby Dave87 » 28 Oct 2015, 03:48

This song grew on me during the 2007 reunion and now it's in my top 5 faves.
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 28 Oct 2015, 04:26

Sideout wrote:

I'm not?
Poshboy78

Postby Poshboy78 » 28 Oct 2015, 16:26

James wrote:I just noticed after all these years that Geri's waving as if to say "bye" on the cover. Very appropriate in retrospect.

Well spotted, never noticed before!

One of their trademark tunes. A solid choice, a pure classic pop gem with the accompaning dance routine. The video is simple but very well done, their looks improved a lot with this release and Victoria premiered her new hairstyle :inlove:

I appreciated the fact that they sang it live at the Brits, proving that they weren't only a manufactured pop band. And I loved all the american promo campaign with several tv performances.
simby

Postby simby » 29 Oct 2015, 12:17

Poshboy78 wrote:
James wrote:I just noticed after all these years that Geri's waving as if to say "bye" on the cover. Very appropriate in retrospect.

Well spotted, never noticed before!

One of their trademark tunes. A solid choice, a pure classic pop gem with the accompaning dance routine. The video is simple but very well done, their looks improved a lot with this release and Victoria premiered her new hairstyle :inlove:

I appreciated the fact that they sang it live at the Brits, proving that they weren't only a manufactured pop band. And I loved all the american promo campaign with several tv performances.

they performed Stop at:
Brits 98
Pavarotti
Letterman Show
Jay Leno show
Much Music Showcase

is there others?
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 29 Oct 2015, 13:09

This is one of their big well loved songs nowadays because it hasn't aged as it was dated sound wise upon release. The 60's mowtown vibe is just that and like Emma's Maybe if something already sounds like a throwback and it is good chances are in 20 years it will still sound like a throwback and good.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Daniel Liam Glyn

Postby Daniel Liam Glyn » 06 Nov 2015, 15:49

Stop is probably one of my least favourite singles, I'm not sure if it's because it never made it to that number 1 spot (a stupid reason to dislike, but as a child I took that defeat to heart!) and it often reminded me of the fact Geri left soon after. She never seemed herself around that time (we all knew why in the May) so it kind of marred my affection towards the song even though I did really like it on first listen on 'An Audience With'. Plus, it's very overplayed.. everytime the Spices are requested at parties or weddings I can guarantee it'll either by Stop or Wannabe. Jusice for other singles please!

Like most things in life I always contemplate 'what could have been' and sometimes go through single releases in my head and what I would have done differently, and I often think about Stop and how they handled the release. I understand they were touring at the time, March was a busy time and they were knackered. But would it have really hurt the album campaign plan if they pushed the release back to early April? Considering Viva Forever ended up being released in July in the end, the gap between April - July would suffice as a necessary break between singles. They were back in the UK the first week of April (I remember seeing them in Manchester on the SW tour, 8th April - what a night!) they could have done some light promotion whilst being on home land. Jason Nevins' song would have died down sales wise, they could have performed on daytime tv shows or done a day of radio. Imagine if they did a giant London cd signing in HMV oxford street and created a massive buzz - the media would have had a field day and it would have generated interest in Stop and possibly affect sales.

It's a silly thing to think about (#2 is hardly a terrible position!) but it's a shame it broke their string of number 1's, plus it sticks out that it's the only song not to reach there in the entire back catalogue (1996-2000). I'm sure there is a good reason for them not wanting to promote too much but it's just an observation I made time wise for release.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that...

Oh and the b-sides.. please! I really didn't think much of Ain't No Stopping Us and I didn't have much interest in the live versions of songs from Spice. The remixes weren't that great too.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 10 Mar 2016, 19:53

Yesterday marked 18 years since 'Stop' was released!

Return to “Spice Girls”