STOP ☆ Discussion Thread (3rd Single from 'Spiceworld')

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.

Stop:

I love it
66%
I like it
26%
I don't mind it (neither particularly like it or dislike it)
6%
I dislike it
1%
I hate it
1%

Total votes: 111
Stas
Custom Title: straight forward

Re: Stop

Postby Stas » 10 Mar 2016, 23:26

Daniel Liam Glyn wrote:Stop is probably one of my least favourite singles, I'm not sure if it's because it never made it to that number 1 spot (a stupid reason to dislike, but as a child I took that defeat to heart!) and it often reminded me of the fact Geri left soon after. She never seemed herself around that time (we all knew why in the May) so it kind of marred my affection towards the song even though I did really like it on first listen on 'An Audience With'. Plus, it's very overplayed.. everytime the Spices are requested at parties or weddings I can guarantee it'll either by Stop or Wannabe. Jusice for other singles please!

Like most things in life I always contemplate 'what could have been' and sometimes go through single releases in my head and what I would have done differently, and I often think about Stop and how they handled the release. I understand they were touring at the time, March was a busy time and they were knackered. But would it have really hurt the album campaign plan if they pushed the release back to early April? Considering Viva Forever ended up being released in July in the end, the gap between April - July would suffice as a necessary break between singles. They were back in the UK the first week of April (I remember seeing them in Manchester on the SW tour, 8th April - what a night!) they could have done some light promotion whilst being on home land. Jason Nevins' song would have died down sales wise, they could have performed on daytime tv shows or done a day of radio. Imagine if they did a giant London cd signing in HMV oxford street and created a massive buzz - the media would have had a field day and it would have generated interest in Stop and possibly affect sales.

It's a silly thing to think about (#2 is hardly a terrible position!) but it's a shame it broke their string of number 1's, plus it sticks out that it's the only song not to reach there in the entire back catalogue (1996-2000). I'm sure there is a good reason for them not wanting to promote too much but it's just an observation I made time wise for release.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that...

Oh and the b-sides.. please! I really didn't think much of Ain't No Stopping Us and I didn't have much interest in the live versions of songs from Spice. The remixes weren't that great too.

I read somewhere that it was a crazy move to push the release head to head with the "comeback" single from Run DMC. Their own fault then!
onebigfan

Postby onebigfan » 11 Mar 2016, 18:15

Disappointed that it's not included on the Istanbul concert VHS/DVD :@
kamel

Postby kamel » 11 Mar 2016, 18:35

Stas wrote:
Daniel Liam Glyn wrote:Stop is probably one of my least favourite singles, I'm not sure if it's because it never made it to that number 1 spot (a stupid reason to dislike, but as a child I took that defeat to heart!) and it often reminded me of the fact Geri left soon after. She never seemed herself around that time (we all knew why in the May) so it kind of marred my affection towards the song even though I did really like it on first listen on 'An Audience With'. Plus, it's very overplayed.. everytime the Spices are requested at parties or weddings I can guarantee it'll either by Stop or Wannabe. Jusice for other singles please!

Like most things in life I always contemplate 'what could have been' and sometimes go through single releases in my head and what I would have done differently, and I often think about Stop and how they handled the release. I understand they were touring at the time, March was a busy time and they were knackered. But would it have really hurt the album campaign plan if they pushed the release back to early April? Considering Viva Forever ended up being released in July in the end, the gap between April - July would suffice as a necessary break between singles. They were back in the UK the first week of April (I remember seeing them in Manchester on the SW tour, 8th April - what a night!) they could have done some light promotion whilst being on home land. Jason Nevins' song would have died down sales wise, they could have performed on daytime tv shows or done a day of radio. Imagine if they did a giant London cd signing in HMV oxford street and created a massive buzz - the media would have had a field day and it would have generated interest in Stop and possibly affect sales.

It's a silly thing to think about (#2 is hardly a terrible position!) but it's a shame it broke their string of number 1's, plus it sticks out that it's the only song not to reach there in the entire back catalogue (1996-2000). I'm sure there is a good reason for them not wanting to promote too much but it's just an observation I made time wise for release.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that...

Oh and the b-sides.. please! I really didn't think much of Ain't No Stopping Us and I didn't have much interest in the live versions of songs from Spice. The remixes weren't that great too.

I read somewhere that it was a crazy move to push the release head to head with the "comeback" single from Run DMC. Their own fault then!

They always go head to head with some artist that they were huge like Westlife and Leona ,, so they lost the race for number 1 album to them , they shouldn't done that :( i hope now when the tour will start the GH will enter to number 1 or top 3 :)
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 11 Mar 2016, 18:46

I totally thought Jay was telling us to "stop" with something when I first saw that, hahaha.
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 12 Mar 2016, 00:02

:laugh: Laying down the law, once and for all. :cool:
FabianC
Custom Title: Beautifully Intended

Postby FabianC » 17 Mar 2016, 17:17

Stop has just been featured in "This week in 1998" of the Official charts

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-new ... 1s__14143/

My Melanie C & Spice Girls CD Collection - http://www.instagram.com/melaniecmusiccollection
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 17 Mar 2016, 17:21

I know it has only just gone gold but I'd love if it eventually went platinum. It is a lot more well known now than a few of their plat singles. Would be good if this reunion boosted its streaming and sales.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 17 Mar 2016, 18:41

I'd have been so mad with that article if we hadn't have had the recent certification news. No sales total mentioned, I'd have flipped out Image

It'd be amazing if it could go Platinum one day, so like Sammy I'll keep my fingers crossed that the reunion does some major things for their back catalogue.
Christopher
Previous username(s): Posh Punkk

Postby Christopher » 17 Mar 2016, 19:16

Now that I'm older I don't seem to play this song anymore but I loved it as a kid. Very catchy. I was never fond of the video. The colors are dull and the outfits aren't as crazy. But I appreciate it for what it is. Even though I don't listen to it now, If ever I hear it on the radio, I wouldn't turn the station!
kamel

Re: Stop ☆ I'm a Celeb contestants sing Stop during Bushtucker trial

Postby kamel » 15 Nov 2016, 00:24

Some of celeb did sang STop on Im a celebrity get me out of here tonight :)
PoshInMaine
Previous username(s): BostonBeebs

Postby PoshInMaine » 15 Nov 2016, 17:24

One of my absolute favorite songs by them. I literally played this in my car the other day and did the full on dance routine (I was passenger). The song is so upbeat and classic. People that aren't totally familiar with the Spice discography always know this song (and Wannabe). I love the covers, the dance routine and the video; I think they all look absolutely FLAWLESS in the video. I love the live performance at the Brits.

The only flaw was the single tracklisting. I couldn't care less about Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now.
PoshInMaine
Previous username(s): BostonBeebs

Postby PoshInMaine » 15 Nov 2016, 17:32

Just went and watched the video again.... CLASSSSSSIIIICCCCC!!!! :love: :love: :love:
Ren
Custom Title: Paris Hilton Fan

Postby Ren » 15 Nov 2016, 19:57

James wrote:It was a bizarre package. I've never been a fan of the video and the CD singles were definitely lacking with live tracks & remixes.

To this point, I'll NEVER understand why despite being the biggest pop group in the world at one point, we never got half a decent remix of any of their tracks, Such a missed opportunity for good dance mixes.
Suddenly I see why the hell it means so much to me.
http://twitter.com/imhoturenot
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 15 Nov 2016, 21:35

I never cared for the b-sides either... I wish theyd included more songs... :D
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 15 Nov 2016, 22:39

I haven't heard it for years but I hated the Stretch N Vern's remix at the time, I just thought it was noise! I quite like the Morales remix though, more so the edit than the full version.
Jay
Mod

Re: Stop ☆ I'm a Celeb contestants sing Stop during Bushtucker trial

Postby Jay » 15 Nov 2016, 23:13

kamel wrote:

Some of celeb did sang STop on Im a celebrity get me out of here tonight :)

Was funny that they used that song to distract themselves from the horrible trial! A shame it didn't prompt a revival for Stop on iTunes, lol.
Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

Re: STOP ☆ Discussion Thread (3rd Single from 'Spiceworld')

Postby Official Spiceworld » 28 Jan 2017, 17:15

Stop was filmed in Ireland, 19 years ago January 27-28th, 1998

Here's an original article from Jan 1998 :D

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/SPICE+STREET%3b+Girls+shut+road+for+video+shoot.-a060707576

Daily Edge article from yesterday :D

http://www.dailyedge.ie/spice-girls-stop-stoneybatter-3210388-Jan2017/

SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
Jer

Postby Jer » 29 Jan 2017, 03:55

In Canada, it's one of their most classic, well known songs. Most millenials know the lyrics AND the dance. I think it's perfect.
Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

Postby Official Spiceworld » 29 Jan 2017, 14:36

Jer wrote:In Canada, it's one of their most classic, well known songs. Most millenials know the lyrics AND the dance. I think it's perfect.

I agree, I think it's probably their most iconic song along with Wannabe, SUYL and 2 Become 1. Even a casual fan would know the song Stop.
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 29 Jan 2017, 15:45

^It definitely seems to be a favourite among non-fans as well. It's usually the one song they bring up that they like and sing along to.

I loved it when it was released and I still love it to this day. The video looked amazing in my mind, I loved the theme and how the girls looked, especially Geri (which looked flawless), Melanie C and Victoria. Their makeup is amazing in this video, and so happy the accompanying photoshoot was used for the SpiceWorld Tour book.

The mixes and live tracks were a bit meh, bUt I love the pink/White photoshoot that was chosen for the cover.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 21 Feb 2017, 21:10

Just noticed the video has reached 20 million views. Their fifth most viewed video after Wannabe, SYBT, Viva Forever & 2 Become 1.
Luke S
Previous username(s): interactive element
Custom Title: interactive element

Postby Luke S » 22 Feb 2017, 01:18

it's an amazing pop gem

I actually didn't like it that much back then in 1998 – but it came to me with time
This song has a really great construction and is incredibly catchy
Jay
Mod

Re: 19 Years: STOP ☆ Discussion Thread (3rd Single from 'Spiceworld')

Postby Jay » 09 Mar 2017, 16:25

19 years since 'Stop' was released as a single! :D

Jay
Mod

Re: 19 Years: STOP ☆ Discussion Thread (3rd Single from 'Spiceworld')

Postby Jay » 16 Mar 2017, 20:16

:love: Thanks for posting!

Return to “Spice Girls”