Do u think Virgin was a good choice for girls?

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.
msk-spice

Do u think Virgin was a good choice for girls?

Postby msk-spice » 21 Apr 2017, 23:17

I was just thinking looking back I see that girls were huge and everywhere but I can't figure it out who's merit it was. It was clear that after Simem being booted out things started fading out Especially in US . It was Simon who broke them out there , I think being with Virgin and having another manager they couldnt have been so huge there , may be they even wouldn't have tried . I truly believe that Virgin should have fought for the American market in late 1997 - during 1998 . They should have payed mtv and radio for airplays like it did Simon. Yes , they blew America up with Spice World premiers but it had been arranged by Simon . They gave up though they saved Virgin from crash in 1997.
kamel

Re: Do u think Virgin was a good choice for girls?

Postby kamel » 21 Apr 2017, 23:36

The Spice Girls still huge after Simon gone I think they should had stayed with Simon tho, and fixed the issues they had with him
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 22 Apr 2017, 00:11

I think, at the time, yes, because Virgin was in need and was willing to put out for them. Nowadays.....DEFINITELY NOT.
sluttyspice

Postby sluttyspice » 22 Apr 2017, 02:11

They were great for them I think as the girls always seemed to get their way (getting to release Wannabe as the first single etc) - they allowed them a lot of creative freedom. However I think Virgin America dropped the ball around Spiceworld when Spice Up Your Life underperformed in the states. It seemed like they didn't promote the album and singles as much as they could've. I was just a kid then and I remember the promo looking like they were some second rate teen group, not the biggest band in the world.
this dress is dry clean only melanie!!!!!!!!!!!!
KingOfSpiceWorld

Postby KingOfSpiceWorld » 22 Apr 2017, 04:01

But even Simon had arranged a big American mess for them. The American media were already against them when they announced the release of their second album in USA less than a year after they released their first there. And that was Simon's choice.
(spice was released in January 97 in USA and Spice World, November 97)
They should have released the second album along with the movie there. The turn out at the premiere was the biggest crowed ever (at the time) but the album was old news by then.

I think that's why the second album wasn't a huge deal there. From 2 become 1 in July 97 they went to spice up your life in just a couple of months and then the second album...
1000 monks. 1000 religions.
Hannes84
Deactivated by request
Custom Title: ChiariWarrior

Postby Hannes84 » 28 Apr 2017, 01:14

msk-spice wrote:. They gave up though they saved Virgin from crash in 1997.

That's such BS. Janet Jackson was the artist who kept Virgin Records running. The founder of Virgin, Richard Branson said every time Janet releases an album, he gets a new house, cause it generates so much money. Spice Girls & Janet were at the height of their careers at exactly the same time, but the label owns most of it's profits to Janet Jackson. It was only after J's career started going down-hill, that Virgin got into trouble. After 2004.
I often look upon the stars, darling. Which one's yours?
Poshboy78

Postby Poshboy78 » 28 Apr 2017, 21:40

They were desperately looking for a record company and Virgin took the risk of a girlband in a boyband world. It worked, isn't it?

Return to “Spice Girls”