Why Were they unhappy with Spice Up Your Life video?

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.
msk-spice

Why Were they unhappy with Spice Up Your Life video?

Postby msk-spice » 25 Apr 2017, 21:07

I've read somewhere that the girls werent too keen on that video . They had a plan to make something kinda carnaval on Time Square but Virgin wasn't about to do it. So why they ended up being unhappy with the result , it was the most expensive video from them.
~niki~

Re: Why Were they unhappy with Spice Up Your Life video?

Postby ~niki~ » 25 Apr 2017, 21:13

I think that was near the point when the creative control was being taken away and Virgin was attempting to make all the decisions. I think I read this somewhere in either Muff's book or the Revisited book? I can't remember for sure.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 25 Apr 2017, 21:19

Yeah, I also read that they wanted a Happy approach, not that "gloom and doom" vibe it got
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Postby FiaSpice » 25 Apr 2017, 21:19

I think it was in the Sinclair book where it was said the girl wanted something happy and colourfull. SUYL ended this dark and gloomy videa. The take-over idea was not bad, but it was so dark, I would the SG would "colour" a world a bit like Rainbow Brite!
Spice & Solo stuff for sale here
MisterMiamiSpice

Postby MisterMiamiSpice » 25 Apr 2017, 21:30

I had never heard they were unhappy with the final results; they seemed pretty excited with the concept during the MTV behind the scenes special they filmed for the video. I think the 'Blade Runner' post-apocalyptic look for the video was completely unexpected and a sophisticated choice. I think Victoria even commented during that MTV special that most people probably would have expected them in a Carnival-in-Rio type setting for the video, but the Girls are always full of surprises and you never know what to expect with them. I'm actually very glad they didn't do a Carnival video for SUYL, it would have been too literal and probably a bit boring.
SW8
Previous username(s): SW8

Postby SW8 » 25 Apr 2017, 21:37

MisterMiamiSpice wrote:I had never heard they were unhappy with the final results; they seemed pretty excited with the concept during the MTV behind the scenes special they filmed for the video. I think the 'Blade Runner' post-apocalyptic look for the video was completely unexpected and a sophisticated choice. I think Victoria even commented during that MTV special that most people probably would have expected them in a Carnival-in-Rio type setting for the video, but the Girls are always full of surprises and you never know what to expect with them. I'm actually very glad they didn't do a Carnival video for SUYL, it would have been too literal and probably a bit boring.

100% agree.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 25 Apr 2017, 21:47

Maybe VB said that cause she KNEW they wanted that but as a way of accepting the idea, she said: well, u would've expected us to do a carnaval video but we're doing this instead...

I think Mel B is the one who said they wanted a happier video... could be wrong though
MC2016

Postby MC2016 » 25 Apr 2017, 21:53

You will all hate me for this but it is possibly my least favourite video of theirs. Too grey and gloomy.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 25 Apr 2017, 21:58

Mel B definitely mentions it in her book something about not knowing what was going on most of the time in the video but they were too tired to say anything.

Personally I love the video it captures their world take over of 97 so well with a nice dark edge.
Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

Postby Official Spiceworld » 25 Apr 2017, 22:32

I think Mel B once said "we were too tired to fight it" (in relation to the concept of the SUYL video)

This was the time where they weren't really that close and would go to Simon every time they had a personal problem, it was just after the movie that there seemed to be a shift, which obviously came to ahead in the November when they sacked him.
Last edited by Official Spiceworld on 25 Apr 2017, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Postby FiaSpice » 25 Apr 2017, 22:34

MC2016 wrote:You will all hate me for this but it is possibly my least favourite video of theirs. Too grey and gloomy.

I agree (But I like it more than VF)

But the wrost IMO is the suf board effect, it looked "bad" even back then (it was obvious it was green screen). They should have skiped this.
Spice & Solo stuff for sale here
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Postby Javi » 25 Apr 2017, 23:32

I'm glad they were too tire to fight it cause, for me, it's their best video, hands down. I simply hate when they turn the song into a Carnival like they did for the Spiceworld tour. I prefer the industrial/futuristic vibe of the video and the ROTSG tour.

I also think the video helped the song to become another anthem with a bit of an edge and not another camp bubble gum pop Spice Girls song like the media and fans were expecting back then.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
MarksGroove

Postby MarksGroove » 25 Apr 2017, 23:42

It shows versatility. They are a Pop band right? The video is great IMO. And it was also their first single for the second album. It had to be sth to talk about. Good choice.
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 26 Apr 2017, 00:21

Javi wrote:I'm glad they were too tire to fight it cause, for me, it's their best video, hands down. I simply hate when they turn the song into a Carnival like they did for the Spiceworld tour. I prefer the industrial/futuristic vibe of the video and the ROTSG tour.

I also think the video helped the song to become another anthem with a bit of an edge and not another camp bubble gum pop Spice Girls song like the media and fans were expecting back then.

I agree. They definitely hit back with something original and unexpected, and it got noticed.
rusty_nail

Postby rusty_nail » 26 Apr 2017, 05:30

I actually think the vibe of the video fits the song to a T. Spice Up Your Life always sounded a bit dark to me. Dark...and epic. The video captures it. I also think they needed that video at that moment. The Spice World trailers were showing them at their lightest and brightest. They needed a contrast in the Spice Up Your Life video.

The only thing I don't like about it is the commercialization thing. It has the appearance of the girls' brand placements turning the world into this dark, cold place where everyone's depressed. Was that the intention? I don't *think* so. The director, Marcus Nispel, is not a deep guy. I'm pretty sure all his decisions were made "cause it looks cool". But. It at least has the appearance of cynicism about their marketing. I don't believe the girls ever discussed that aspect of the video.
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 26 Apr 2017, 06:34

I enjoy the video. I think if they had more colour it would've been even better. I mean when you think of Spice domination, the black and gray theme is far from it.

They wanted a carnival/calypso theme at first right?
Masterpiece
Custom Title: Immune

Postby Masterpiece » 26 Apr 2017, 13:03

I wonder who fucked up the video frame rate. Probably because it was an US/UK production. It's a mess.
Veli
Custom Title: The Piccie King

Postby Veli » 26 Apr 2017, 14:01

I remember when I first saw it on MTV I thought that this is a new commercial by them. I just couldn't figure out what it was for :D For some reason it didn't look like a music video to clueless young me, maybe because it was too dark and I couldn't imagine them doing a video like this.
Melancholie

Postby Melancholie » 26 Apr 2017, 17:22

Well, they could have filmed two music videos then.

I think the video is good, they are showed in colour on those commercial screens while everything around is so gray, I always interpreted it as if they were the colour that people need, the contrast.
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 26 Apr 2017, 17:25

I think it was kinda smart to do it a little dark. Every one of their other videos is so colourful, it was nice to get something a little different.

And the idea that the Spice Girls would be rulers of the world, even if it goes dark. It was really trendy for the time and unique.
PoshInMaine
Previous username(s): BostonBeebs

Postby PoshInMaine » 26 Apr 2017, 18:13

I love the concept of the video. I interpret it as the Spice Girls are an alien force that has dominated Earth and they come down to the surface to see what is now, essentially, SpiceWorld. They travel around to see the obsession that has invaded Earth and noticing that the people are glum and melancholy without them, they begin entertaining and energizing them. Mel B DJ's music for them, Geri inspires with a passionate speech at the podium, Mel C shows Girl Power with a knock out in the boxing ring... etc.
KingOfSpiceWorld

Postby KingOfSpiceWorld » 26 Apr 2017, 20:31

Mel B hated it. She mentions that on spice magazine issue 5.
Geri has spoken about it too but I don't remember if it was on the same magazine article or years later when she was solo. She had said smt between the lines of "some times spending a lot of money on a video doesn't give you the best result"

Personally I love it. But it's not their best video. Their best videos are (in order of release)
Say you'll be there
Too much
Goodbye
Holler

I think they could have filmed a cheaper funny video along with the impulse spice add as well as a better stop video with aprilia (who bought that VHS of the making of?)
Fighter

Postby Fighter » 26 Apr 2017, 20:47

one of my least favourites too. Concept is fine but the execution not so much... its patchy.
Hannes84
Custom Title: ChiariWarrior

Postby Hannes84 » 26 Apr 2017, 21:27

For most casual fans, Spice Up Your Life is THE track from the Spice Girls, despite getting really bad reviews and even hate during the time it was released. Nowdays it's more popular than Wannabe, altho that track shot them to stardom.
I often look upon the stars, darling. Which one's yours?
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 26 Apr 2017, 22:50

^ I have to disagree, Wannabe is still far and away their most known/loved song for casual fans & the general public at large. Their numbers on YouTube & Spotify support this:

Wannabe on YouTube - 244,177,173 views
Wannabe on Spotify - 145,476,945 streams

Spice Up Your Life on YouTube - 16,276,414 views
Spice Up Your Life on Spotify - 17,780,389 streams

SUYL is of course one of their most popular songs, but it never has and never will overtake Wannabe in the popularity stakes. I'd say the only set of people who generally prefer Spice Up Your Life to Wannabe are their most devoted hardcore fans, i.e. us lot. :p

---

As for the SUYL music video, I totally understand why the director heard a "dark sound" in the song and thus went with a dark looking video. It compliments it instrumentally - but not so much lyrically. Some of the imagery is very bleak, which is in stark contrast to the positive lyrics. The overall impression the video leaves me with is that this version of Spiceworld is not a nice place to live in at all, and that the girls are ruling over the people in a seemingly oppressive fashion. I totally see why it's not what they had in mind for the song. Anyway, it's certainly their most interesting video! My major thumbs down towards it is the rain effect, it looks very cheap. I don't mind the hover boards, it's super obvious green screen of course, but they look cool anyway. :p

Return to “Spice Girls”