Why Were they unhappy with Spice Up Your Life video?

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.
AmAdEus.lb

Re: Why Were they unhappy with Spice Up Your Life video?

Postby AmAdEus.lb » 09 May 2017, 18:05

Its weird though because I've always felt Larger Than life looked super cheap and very try hard futuristic, especially with those fake robot specimen they included. Spice Up Your Life had this stylish dark, raw/realistic vibe. New York in 2100 with a post apocalyptic cityscape. Less Star Wars and more Blade Runner. It's fantastically done, taking into consideration that it came out 20 years ago. Great cinematography. I love it.
AmAdEus.lb

Postby AmAdEus.lb » 09 May 2017, 18:07

AmAdEus.lb wrote:Its weird though because I've always felt Larger Than life looked super cheap and very try hard futuristic, especially with those fake robot specimen they included. Spice Up Your Life had this stylish dark, raw/realistic vibe. New York in 2100 with a post apocalyptic cityscape. Less Star Wars and more Blade Runner. Everything in it including their spaceship looked ' real' It's fantastically done, taking into consideration that it came out 20 years ago. Great cinematography. I love it.
iaintiffin

Postby iaintiffin » 09 May 2017, 18:51

I personally love the video..a great contrast to a relatively upbeat colourful track.
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 09 May 2017, 23:07

I adore the Spice up your life video it's their second best for me. It's such a cool dark slightly scary video, it helped to make the song a bit less bubblegum. Viva forever is my favourite video I think it matches the song perfectly and brings a whole new meaning of innocence and the loss of it when you grow out of childhood. Couldn't care less that the girls are not in it, it's such a mature fantastic video.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 10 May 2017, 00:38

Doesn't the video has an alternative ending that is indeed kinda creepy?
Luke S
Previous username(s): interactive element
Custom Title: interactive element

Postby Luke S » 10 May 2017, 12:11

I think it just wasn't what they expected – about both: final mix of the song and the video
– but I absolutely love it!
It gave the song an extra side and still looks amazing after all these years!
I love the dynamics of it!
herman22j

Postby herman22j » 11 May 2017, 11:46

Well lets be honest. When the girls went their way it flatlined. Thank God Virgin made this clip. It's good and working great. Outer space girls song would fit this video as well
NUFF SAID
Hannes84
Deactivated by request
Custom Title: ChiariWarrior

Postby Hannes84 » 13 May 2017, 23:13

They wanted to be taken more seriously, hence a darker video
I often look upon the stars, darling. Which one's yours?
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 15 May 2017, 22:43

It is wrong to generalise and say that they all were disappointed with the finished result.

According to interviews in the official SPICE magazine, the girls are divided. Mel C says quote: I was a bit dissapointed with the outcome, though. We knew it was going to be very dark, but it wasn't quite what we imagined". Mel B suggests that she would have liked it to have a more carnival feel if they had reshot it, she then says (quote) "I like the video but it's not one of my favourites". Geri says that the gloomy look to the video is to be an ironic contrast to the upbeat melody of the song and says (quote) "It's supposed to be set in the future and we're monitoring people's positivity, but I don't think it really worked".

Both Emma and Vicotria says they really like the video and how it turned out. Emma quote: "I think it's a good video because it's very different from anything else we've ever done. It's dark and moody, which people don't expect from us". Victoria quote: "I really like the video for 'Spice Up Your Life'. I like the contrast between what it looks like and how the song sounds".

So there you go, from the horses mouths. Two clear no's from Geri and Mel C, Mel B is a bit indifferent and Emma and Victoria really liked it.
msk-spice

Postby msk-spice » 15 May 2017, 22:57

Andreas wrote:It is wrong to generalise and say that they all were disappointed with the finished result.

According to interviews in the official SPICE magazine, the girls are divided. Mel C says quote: I was a bit dissapointed with the outcome, though. We knew it was going to be very dark, but it wasn't quite what we imagined". Mel B suggests that she would have liked it to have a more carnival feel if they had reshot it, she then says (quote) "I like the video but it's not one of my favourites". Geri says that the gloomy look to the video is to be an ironic contrast to the upbeat melody of the song and says (quote) "It's supposed to be set in the future and we're monitoring people's positivity, but I don't think it really worked".

Both Emma and Vicotria says they really like the video and how it turned out. Emma quote: "I think it's a good video because it's very different from anything else we've ever done. It's dark and moody, which people don't expect from us". Victoria quote: "I really like the video for 'Spice Up Your Life'. I like the contrast between what it looks like and how the song sounds".

So there you go, from the horses mouths. Two clear no's from Geri and Mel C, Mel B is a bit indifferent and Emma and Victoria really liked it.

Did they say something about other videos?
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 15 May 2017, 23:00

msk-spice wrote:Did they say something about other videos?

They talk about "Too Much" and "Stop" in the same edition. In the later one they cover "Viva Forever", and I'm pretty sure they talk about "Say You'll Be There" and "Mama" in earlier editions.
msk-spice

Postby msk-spice » 16 May 2017, 08:50

Andreas wrote:
msk-spice wrote:Did they say something about other videos?

They talk about "Too Much" and "Stop" in the same edition. In the later one they cover "Viva Forever", and I'm pretty sure they talk about "Say You'll Be There" and "Mama" in earlier editions.

would you mind making some scans of these last editions?
icecream

Postby icecream » 17 May 2017, 01:36

Tbh when the single came out although the video was different. I didn't think much of the video when listened to the song I thought more of the single cover with the colourful vision.

Return to “Spice Girls”