Do you feel the same Nostalgia?

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.
((SPICE))
Custom Title: I Call The Shots

Do you feel the same Nostalgia?

Postby ((SPICE)) » 15 May 2017, 11:05

Hello guys. I came back to the forums after years of not logging in.

I wonder if you feel the same like me sometimes. Spice Girls were my childhood band. I grew up listening Spice Girls music. And im 33 now. And i swear to you guys that sometimes i remember everything about the band, sometimes the flashes come back again to my mind of them performing on a tv show, award or touring and i wish i were again in 1997/1998 (the early months before Geri left) to feel the same as i did on those years when the girls were on top. It makes me feel so good but when i realize it exists only in my memory it makes me feel so sad. Happy times and moments that passed away and never will come back again.

I remember everything, like going with my brother (he is 38 now) to the centre town to buy music magazines where the girls had appeared or trying to get those rare cds from remixes and b sides of the singles, the Live rare and remixed. Internet wasnt there like now. Entering to many cd shops as possible asking if they got them or not. Recording video tapes of the girls tv appearances. Or cutting any picture of the girls from magazines or newspapers and putting them all in a big folder i got. Or telling to my grandpa (i miss him so much :cry: ) to buy me any magazine that said SPICE GIRLS on the cover (because he didnt know well their faces). Oh god i remember it like if it was yesterday. And i was 12 or 13 years old back then.

Sorry for my post and if my English is not very fluently, im from Argentina. It would have been my dream if they would have visited my country on those glorious years but sandly never happened. But I still remember them just like they used to be on those years with their outfits and wearing Buffalo shoes. And the nostalgia takes me on those moments, it feels good but at the same time it makes me feel very very sad. :'(

Thank you for reading my post.
Amaranthine18

Re: Do you feel the same Nostalgia?

Postby Amaranthine18 » 15 May 2017, 11:21

Time flies. It feels so good to reminisce. I was in high school in 1997/1998 and they are everywhere. It is hard to watch TV, listen to radio, read magazines or even go out in public without seeing their videos, songs, billboards etc...

You are cool if you like the Spice Girls that time.
kamel

Postby kamel » 15 May 2017, 13:20

Amaranthine18 wrote:Time flies. It feels so good to reminisce. I was in high school in 1997/1998 and they are everywhere. It is hard to watch TV, listen to radio, read magazines or even go out in public without seeing their videos, songs, billboards etc...

You are cool if you like the Spice Girls that time.

I remember too, they were huge till summer of 99 they were everywhere , i remembred buying some of their lollipops, marchandise etc in 99
MonkeySils
Custom Title: Monkey business

Postby MonkeySils » 16 May 2017, 22:14

That is the kind of memories a lot of us have in common!
Don't be sad and bless the happiness they provided you with! :hug:
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 16 May 2017, 23:34

I have mixed emotions with the girls really.

I adored them, far more than I have ever loved any commercial thing since and on a whole other level really. If I think back I do feel that nostalgia of how huge they were and how you couldn't get through a day without seeing them on TV or in the magazines or on the radio, or in the shops, the streets (billboards/busses). It truly was wow.

At the same time however I was such an unconfident, unhappy child. I didn't really have any friends, I was the only deaf child in a family and school of hearing people. Even at a young age I was somewhat aware that my attraction to girls was in no way sexual. I felt very different from everyone around me and was rejected constantly by my peers. I didn't act 'deaf enough' for the deaf community and I wasn't 'hearing enough' for the hearing community. That is partly why I loved the girls so much, I escaped into their confidence their 'girl power' and ambition and craved it for myself. It wasn't until I left home at 18 that I truly found my confidence and embraced who I was. My life changed from that point on and I have fabulous friends, I worked my ass off to do well for myself, and I met and married a lovely guy. I truly couldn't be happier and from the perspective I don't miss my childhood or my teen years at all.

On another note I feel a little sad that they couldn't sustain it, and tbh a little annoyed with them for being too big with their egos. They were huge in a way like The Beatles and Abba who managed to stay together and keep their phenomenon going for a decade with continuous music releases, and sadly their ego's for solo careers were too big so they didn't use the opportunity to do the same and really establish themselves as one of THE top music acts of all time. I often wonder what would happened had they continued releasing music until 2005/6 since they all managed to achieve solo hits continuously until that point so surely their group efforts would have performed much better. I feel like they threw it all away in the end, which is such a shame.
mrvb_19

Postby mrvb_19 » 17 May 2017, 19:03

I am still a fan to this day. I don't feel sad that they have a short time as a group. They gave us a lot of number 1s and they still are the biggest girl group. Almost all the songs they've released were number 1 which is quite a feat. I am not sure if they would have sustained it for the next 6 yrs or so. 20 yrs on and they are still talked about individually and collectively. I do think this is the only band whose members maintained their celebrity status and not vanish to obscurity.
schizophonic_spice

Postby schizophonic_spice » 17 May 2017, 19:29

I don't think they'd have maintained their huge success for 10 active years they blew up too fast too huge and that always meant a short lived run (The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long)

I definetly think they had another really big five piece album in them though but the idea of duets and solo songs being included on it which they said was going to happen pre Geri leaving never appealed to me. It's not to say that idea wouldn't have been scrapped though and that is something we'll never know and can only speculate.
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 17 May 2017, 21:55

1998 and 1999 would have definitely given them two more big albums (especially had they stuck together as 5).

The Beatles were a phenomenon bigger than the Spice Girls are they maintained it for 8years, so I truly believe had the girls played it right they could have done the same. The run of number ones would probably have suffered somewhat but they would certainly have maintained their run of hit singles. I mean right up until 2006 they were still achieving top 5s as solo acts...
MarcelWithLuv
Custom Title: Marcel With Luv

Postby MarcelWithLuv » 17 May 2017, 22:20

spicefreak wrote:1998 and 1999 would have definitely given them two more big albums (especially had they stuck together as 5).

The Beatles were a phenomenon bigger than the Spice Girls are they maintained it for 8years, so I truly believe had the girls played it right they could have done the same. The run of number ones would probably have suffered somewhat but they would certainly have maintained their run of hit singles. I mean right up until 2006 they were still achieving top 5s as solo acts...

As a 5 piece & with Simon Fuller!
zampeada
Custom Title: You Got Pow

Postby zampeada » 26 May 2017, 18:37

Nothing lasts forever!
You got a pow!
SomeonesBaby

Postby SomeonesBaby » 26 May 2017, 18:45

Yes, mostly. I will buy any official product.

Of course I can't keep up with (and can't afford) all of Victoria's things (and Emma's old Argos collection), but I do try to purchase something from each endeavor if I can't get everything.

I used to get each magazine they were on, but as long as I have HQ photos saved to my computer, I am content.
onebigfan

Postby onebigfan » 26 May 2017, 19:12

MarcelWithLuv wrote:
spicefreak wrote:1998 and 1999 would have definitely given them two more big albums (especially had they stuck together as 5).

As a 5 piece & with Simon Fuller!

Yeah definitely, I also feel that had they never fired Simon, they could easily have maintained their success for another year or two. Geri could then have left at the end of 1999 and both Victoria and Mel B could've fallen pregnant at the end of 1999 too. To be honest, and I think the girls themselves know this, even though they felt at the time they were doing the right thing, they were lost in Spice World without Simon's guidance. Fact.
Official Spiceworld
Custom Title: Spice Girls Net

Postby Official Spiceworld » 26 May 2017, 20:05

I don't think we would have had an album in both 1998 AND 1999 even if Geri had stayed and Simon was still managing them, but they definitely should have done another album as a 5 piece after the world tour and the Goodbye single.

So many more things they could have achieved as a group. The only thing that's a downside to being a Spice fan is that their discography is small, but the music we have is brilliant so swings and roundabouts.
SPICE GIRLS NET - Twitter|Facebook|Blog|Instagram
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Postby FiaSpice » 26 May 2017, 20:37

I'm one of the odd ball that started liking them a little too late. I didn't cared much for them until about March 1998. I saw Istanbul so many times on TV I started to like them. It was too late to buy concert tickets and I remember the whole day of the Montreal show, there was a special of them on Musique Plus. I wasn't a magazine/merchandise collector (at this time I was a way bigger fan of Jacques Villeneuve, I would buy every mag with him and steal one from the hospital my grandpa was in ICU).

Liking the SG at this time was not very cool anymore, so for me it always meant "shut up about them". Sometimes I wish I had those fond memories of the early fans who witnessed the hype and the merch. I remember seing one of the official cap at the dollar store and though "nah, it's not a cd, I'm not getting it". It ws one freaking dollar. I see those on ebay for $25+
DannyDirnt

Postby DannyDirnt » 26 May 2017, 23:15

I have a different kind of nostalgia, because I was actually born in 1996. So I do not remember the hype stage clearly, but I do have some really nice memories anyway. My sister was a really huge fan until around the time Geri left, and she had this awesome folder with tons of crops from magazines, stickers, drawings, pictures... She had a few VHS tapes she had recorded when they were on TV in Spain, lip syncing some of their hits, talking about the band and playing their music videos from Spice. It wasn't live, but the first one was from 1996 and the second one was from 1997, so it was the heyday anyway. I loved dancing to their music with my sister. In 1998 she got bored of the Spice Girls and gave me all the pictures, etc. What I vividly remember is the Forever More DVD my parents bought me. I remember being super confused and not understanding why Geri, my second favorite Spice Girl (I was a Posh kind of guy), was not in the videos. I constantly asked my mom to play "the crystal pyramid song". I loved all three Forever videos SO much!

And by the way, I've always thought that Earls Court would have been amazing with Geri on it. In 1999 she was looking gorgeous!

Return to “Spice Girls”