The end of the Spice Girls (to you)?

Slam your body down and post it all around!
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that posting, requesting or linking to sites containing copyright material is against our rules and will result in a warning/ban.
cripesdude

The end of the Spice Girls (to you)?

Postby cripesdude » 29 Jul 2017, 16:49

Hi all! This post is a little unstructured because I'm not sure what I think...

It's occurred to me this week that in January 2018, just 5 months away, it will have been TEN YEARS since the girls last performed a tour date, and over ten years since the girl's last single and album. This gap is quite a bit bigger than the one between Forever and the reunion press conference. Since then all we've had is the Olympics performance :music:, Viva Forever: The Musical :hmm: and "Song For Her/GEM" :confused:...

This had me thinking... is it time to accept the Spice Girls are over?

On one hand I'm not sure the Spice Girls will ever be "over". As long as they have fans they will always be present through nostalgia. Also, there will always be the possibility that something new might happen... a "final" Wembley show, a revised Greatest Hits package... a fourth album... who knows...

On the other hand it's been so long since they did a full show together or released anything, I feel like you have to be deluded to think they haven't ended in all but name.

Maybe it's not about whether the Spice Girls are "over" but "active" or "inactive"? As a fan, when they are inactive I can just enjoy the old music and videos etc, and whenever they are active join in again... But then, that's my problem... will they ever be active again? Is it time to accept that what we've gotten is all we're gonna get?

I guess I want to be able to say to myself the Spice Girls are over, but I sort of feel like they will never be over for me because they were such a part of my past they will always be a part of my future (no matter how big or small). More-so, I can't think of them as "over" because of the niggling possibility that just maybe they might do something together again.

All us fans are growing up now. We're having to let go of things that used to be such an immediate part of our lives, and let them move into memory... I find it hard to place my current fandom for the girls... In a way, it would be easier if they had just broken up and ended things officially - but as things are many fans are holding on just in case there is another chapter... but we have no guarantees at all that will ever come about and it's a little exhausting. In another way, it can be thought of as nice that they haven't officially ended, and that the Spice Girls will always exist in one way or another... Girl Power lives on regardless, and why should that (they) have to "end" at all?

I think I am moving to a position where I accept the Spice Girls - at least their main era - is long gone and in that sense they are well and truly over. However, because of nostalgia and fans keeping them relevant, they still have a place in the present (their music is always there, I might not have a room covered in their posters anymore but I do have my favourite one framed)... Thus we have a new 'extra' era, which isn't as well defined and continuous but just might throw up some new surprises.

Basically:

The Spice Girls (Main Era): 1996 to 2008 - new releases, videos, shows, merchandise, appearances, interviews, active group (with small hiatus); [marked from Wannabe release through to ROTSG final tour date], Iconic moment: 1998 Brit Awards performance - OVER

The Spice Girls (Extra Era): 2008 to Present - enjoying the past, occasional surprises/mini projects, dormant group (with occasional limited activity); [marked from the end of ROTSG tour to now], Iconic moment: London 2012 Olympics performance - CURRENT (will be over too one day)

The Spice Girls (Legacy Era): TBC - no new music, projects, or appearances at all, only revisiting old material, retired group (with no activity); (marked by a formal split announcement/inevitable retirement/old age), Iconic moment: TBC (perhaps something like an extended retrospective article in a major publication) - TIMELESS

How does everyone else feel?

What are the opinions of other Dendeners?

How has your fandom altered over the years, and how do you categorise/relate to the girls today?
PeruvianSpice

Re: The end of the Spice Girls (to you)?

Postby PeruvianSpice » 29 Jul 2017, 19:41

Hmm it's weird cause everytime there's a rumour of a reunion we all eagerly wait so in a way, they're not completely over

But sadly they keep teasing us from time to time only to leave us disappointed.
DannyDirnt

Postby DannyDirnt » 30 Jul 2017, 12:51

In a way, I believe that they are over. In the sense that they are no longer young, loud and cheeky hitmakers who are literally everywhere making us all relate to them. We all know they aren't the best of friends anymore. Their "successful era" is over. Anything they do from now on will be based on nostalgia and the same stuff we've been hearing for two decades. What happened with the 2016 reunion changed my view on the subject, and made me see them differently. I enjoy their catalogue and always will, it brings back good memories, but they don't seem interested anymore and anything they do will never be as special. They are no longer a "we", but five different "me"s, and that's fine, they've evolved, but that also means for me that it's time to move on.
musicbox21

Postby musicbox21 » 30 Jul 2017, 13:35

hmm ...nice topic!

Well, as i've said before to me, they are timeless!! And never ending! The songs, the messages....i love them dearly.
I mean Michael Jackson is an icon, Beatles, or even Madonna (who is still active but hasn't released a proper hit in ages..!)they will never be over.

Times have changed, more digital era, but more fake as well... I love them...i wish i could see them doing sth again..plus some of them look exactly the same as back in the day
(Emma/ Mel B) so sometimes i check their instagram and i don't know how old i am for a few seconds! lol

I love them, yes they moved on, yes perhaps they can't support the message "girl power" as strong (Mel B staying in an abusive relationship, Victoria not divorcing after multiple cheatings) but...i prefer ideal than reality! that's me!
iaintiffin

Postby iaintiffin » 31 Jul 2017, 19:27

For me the end was at the Olympics.
AldoSpice

Postby AldoSpice » 31 Jul 2017, 21:29

The Real Spice Girls end was in the end of may 1998
pinkdor

Postby pinkdor » 31 Jul 2017, 21:44

AldoSpice wrote:The Real Spice Girls end was in the end of may 1998

I think the Spice Girls still was "The Real Spice Girls" until Goodbye, included. From the moment they had baby's and move on to do solo careers it was the end.
RobertAmsterdam
Custom Title: Spice Girls Fan NL

Postby RobertAmsterdam » 01 Aug 2017, 00:27

Afrer the Brit Awards 2000!! :cry:
megzluvsmelc
Custom Title: Beautiful Mind

Postby megzluvsmelc » 01 Aug 2017, 01:13

I always thought it was the end for them after when Forever era was over and Melanie C wanted to concrete on her solo career rather than being in the group. She was having a hard time during the era. I guess it's time to move on just after when Olympics era was over. Because Melanie said that the group should've laid to rest.

So I think it's over. GEM didn't work it out at least we got SFH.
VivaMGMVE
Previous username(s): VBrocks!

Postby VivaMGMVE » 01 Aug 2017, 01:33

When they released 'Goodbye' - To this day I think its an amazing song with tragic unintended connotations to their young fanbase and the media. They needed a different more celebratory or upbeat single to come after Geri's departure for US fans as we didn't have Viva Forever released here or the constant media from tour press (which in the US is not as frequently reported on as in Europe/UK).

Now, having seen them come back with Forever, ROTSG, and the Olympics- that bit at London 2012 really transitioned them in my mind as a legacy act. Where new material would be rare, but for the most part they are cultural icons that are done in the creative phase of their career arc, but still relevant in a nostalgic way. I think for me London 2012 really was the end.
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 01 Aug 2017, 02:13

iaintiffin wrote:For me the end was at the Olympics.

Same here.
starz1

Postby starz1 » 01 Aug 2017, 04:22

The Good...
for me I will say it was when their 1998 North American tour wrapped up. That was the 'end' of SPICE GIRLS. Even with Geri quitting in May it wasen't the end for them, because the tour was planned as a 5 piece and they carried it out as a 4 piece without taking away any of the authentic magic that the 5 of them would have offered.
Like for me, their 5 piece spice world Euro tour with Geri was just as magical as when they set foot on stage in Florida for the June 15th 1998 show
That's where the story ends for me, with the August 26th 1998 show in Dallas.

The Bad... and the Ugly...
But come the Sep 1998 with their 4 Wembley concerts, (and then the that was the beginning of the band's contrived era...
To this day I have never seen the Wembley concert, nor do I want to. Same with the christmas in spice world, never seen it.
The costumes were so redic, the facial expressions were put on, etc...
I look at it as, anything past their 1998 tour was contrived and done STRICTLY FOR $$$$

these words come to mind...

deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
created or arranged in a way that seems artificial and unrealistic.
"the ending of the novel is too pat and contrived"
synonyms: forced, strained, studied, artificial, affected, put-on, phony, pretended, false, feigned, fake, manufactured, unnatural; More
labored, overdone, elaborate
"the story's contrived ending is a big letdown"
antonyms: natural
dentistologo

Postby dentistologo » 01 Aug 2017, 06:45

Musically, for the end it was the olympics.
In some kind of "spiritual" way, they will never be over. It's a vibe. It can't die =)
Thank you, my ladies! Keep spicing it up! :D
Imageimagenes gratis
Silence is golden
Custom Title: AKA S.I.G

Postby Silence is golden » 01 Aug 2017, 16:08

starz1 wrote:The Good...
for me I will say it was when their 1998 North American tour wrapped up. That was the 'end' of SPICE GIRLS. Even with Geri quitting in May it wasen't the end for them, because the tour was planned as a 5 piece and they carried it out as a 4 piece without taking away any of the authentic magic that the 5 of them would have offered.
Like for me, their 5 piece spice world Euro tour with Geri was just as magical as when they set foot on stage in Florida for the June 15th 1998 show
That's where the story ends for me, with the August 26th 1998 show in Dallas.

The Bad... and the Ugly...
But come the Sep 1998 with their 4 Wembley concerts, (and then the that was the beginning of the band's contrived era...
To this day I have never seen the Wembley concert, nor do I want to. Same with the christmas in spice world, never seen it.
The costumes were so redic, the facial expressions were put on, etc...
I look at it as, anything past their 1998 tour was contrived and done STRICTLY FOR $$$$

these words come to mind...

deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously.
created or arranged in a way that seems artificial and unrealistic.
"the ending of the novel is too pat and contrived"
synonyms: forced, strained, studied, artificial, affected, put-on, phony, pretended, false, feigned, fake, manufactured, unnatural; More
labored, overdone, elaborate
"the story's contrived ending is a big letdown"
antonyms: natural

Really? I find it hard to believe that you've never seen even a snippet of it...
PoshInMaine
Previous username(s): BostonBeebs

Postby PoshInMaine » 01 Aug 2017, 19:38

I suppose the Olympics but if I'm TRUTHFUL... the premiere of Viva Forever when Victoria showed up late and didn't join the other four girls. I'm not trying to restart a debate about this but I'm answering the question. I felt like that whole evening was her way of saying... guys, it's really time to move on. The Olympics felt like the possible start of something again, not the end. That night, it felt like the end to me.
patagoniarebelde

Postby patagoniarebelde » 01 Aug 2017, 19:44

PoshInMaine wrote:I suppose the Olympics but if I'm TRUTHFUL... the premiere of Viva Forever when Victoria showed up late and didn't join the other four girls. I'm not trying to restart a debate about this but I'm answering the question. I felt like that whole evening was her way of saying... guys, it's really time to move on. The Olympics felt like the possible start of something again, not the end. That night, it felt like the end to me.

Victoria knew before it even went on premiere that it was crap. She does not take part that kind of crap. :devil:
PoshInMaine
Previous username(s): BostonBeebs

Postby PoshInMaine » 01 Aug 2017, 19:48

patagoniarebelde wrote:
PoshInMaine wrote:I suppose the Olympics but if I'm TRUTHFUL... the premiere of Viva Forever when Victoria showed up late and didn't join the other four girls. I'm not trying to restart a debate about this but I'm answering the question. I felt like that whole evening was her way of saying... guys, it's really time to move on. The Olympics felt like the possible start of something again, not the end. That night, it felt like the end to me.

Victoria knew before it even went on premiere that it was crap. She does not take part that kind of crap. :devil:

Then, I suppose, she should have participated more in the development of it.
cripesdude

Postby cripesdude » 02 Aug 2017, 16:05

It seems like there is some consensus here that the "core" Spice Girls era is over... for me it was 1996-2008, but could easily be seen as anywhere from 1994-2012/14 (or as short as 1996-1998/2000).

There was definitely something very final for me, too, about the London Olympics performance (one final hurrah... and what a way to bow-out!)... In a way Viva Forever: The Musical and "GEM" sort of scuppered me feeling that that was the "end"... but I guess it was really - the last time (it seems) we had all five together as The Spice Girls (rather, Viva Forever was about someone else writing about the Spice Girls and "GEM" obviously just three of them bouncing some ideas around).

I wish there had been a 4th album (even if just rarities/previously unreleased stuff), I wish there had been a DVD of ROTSG, I wish we could damn well get a studio version of W.O.M.A.N, I wish there had been a definitive final show/performance (London 2012 was implied but not confirmed) ...I still hope we see new/re-pressed vinyl... But more than anything I'm very happy with the memories I have... I just can't hold on waiting for something else substantive anymore... For me it's time to draw a line and enjoy the memories and maybe, just maybe, have one or two little more surprises to act as nostalgic highlights :)
menime123

Postby menime123 » 02 Aug 2017, 16:31

The thing is, had they all announced that the Olymics was absolutely it, I’d be over it. But then we had Viva Forever and some fairly string rumours of a 4 piece reunion, then were hinted at to expect something for the anniversary and then we got GEM.

There is clearly unfinished business and the Spice Girls aren’t done yet. Whatever their future, I do believe there is room for 1 final reunion tour down the road - I’m hoping 25th anniversary, but not ruling out the 30th.

No matter what Victoria says, I have always believed she’d do it one more time. It’s just a waiting game now.
Bubble_Butt
Previous username(s): Irish_Eyes
Custom Title: OxyMORON

Postby Bubble_Butt » 02 Aug 2017, 21:53

The Spice Girls that i fell in love with ended for me with Goodbye. They were never the same after Geri left but I count that whole era right up until December 1998. Everything since then has never lived up to the expectations.

Return to “Spice Girls”