Version of Me & Anymore - Charts Topic

Levitate off the ground, getting up, getting down, let me see you post now
scrabbles

Re: Version of Me & Anymore - Charts Topic

Postby scrabbles » 25 Feb 2017, 01:52

Okay, so #34 it is for the German album charts. Not great, not really bad either.

I think a few things will need to be reconsidered when evaluating that position:

1. Starting with the obvious, the 4-month delay between releasing the album in the UK and in Germany. German fans already knew the album was 'out there' since last year (!) and probably got hold of it at the time. I was convinced up until now that at the time my Amazon UK purchase would count towards the UK album charts. That doesn't seem to be the case: whilst obviously counting as an individual SALE, it ended up being ineligible to chart.

2. This has an interesting knock-on effect: had the album been released in Germany in October, we might have a higher chart position (perhaps something quite similar to Beautiful Intentions, This Time and The Sea, i.e. somewhere in the Top 20).

3. Even more interesting would be to know how many albums were shipped to Germany up until its official release date, and what chart position that would have resulted in. It's crazy to think that NONE of these albums were actually eligible to chart?! Jay, do you happen to have any numbers here?

4. I wholeheartedly agree with the fact that promoting singles acoustically when you've just released a more electronically-sounding album is a huge problem. Why? Because it ends up being completely unrepresentative of what these singles (Anymore, Dear Life) actually sound like as an official, recorded version. I bet there are people out there thinking, 'meh, another Melanie C ballad' when in fact Anymore in particular sounds completely different as a studio version. This happened before, even though in a different context: releasing I Want Candy as the official first single from This Time is extremely unrepresentative of the album.

5. Another problem is of course 'Dear Life' - being an official single - not being picked up by radio stations in Germany. Radio support has always been crucial for her to build her profile - I remember 'Next Best Superstar' being a huge radio hit in Germany at the time. Otherwise, promotion-wise I don't think Sony has done a bad job - I don't see them having 'failed' in terms of promoting this properly.

Overall, especially considering the first, second and third point, I'm okay with this chart position. It's not amazing and it doesn't exactly set the charts alight, but it's decent enough when factoring in all the above mentioned circumstances of the release.
HIMzone666

Postby HIMzone666 » 25 Feb 2017, 03:05

scrabbles wrote:Okay, so #34 it is for the German album charts. Not great, not really bad either.

I think a few things will need to be reconsidered when evaluating that position:

1. Starting with the obvious, the 4-month delay between releasing the album in the UK and in Germany. German fans already knew the album was 'out there' since last year (!) and probably got hold of it at the time. I was convinced up until now that at the time my Amazon UK purchase would count towards the UK album charts. That doesn't seem to be the case: whilst obviously counting as an individual SALE, it ended up being ineligible to chart.

2. This has an interesting knock-on effect: had the album been released in Germany in October, we might have a higher chart position (perhaps something quite similar to Beautiful Intentions, This Time and The Sea, i.e. somewhere in the Top 20).

3. Even more interesting would be to know how many albums were shipped to Germany up until its official release date, and what chart position that would have resulted in. It's crazy to think that NONE of these albums were actually eligible to chart?! Jay, do you happen to have any numbers here?

4. I wholeheartedly agree with the fact that promoting singles acoustically when you've just released a more electronically-sounding album is a huge problem. Why? Because it ends up being completely unrepresentative of what these singles (Anymore, Dear Life) actually sound like as an official, recorded version. I bet there are people out there thinking, 'meh, another Melanie C ballad' when in fact Anymore in particular sounds completely different as a studio version. This happened before, even though in a different context: releasing I Want Candy as the official first single from This Time is extremely unrepresentative of the album.

5. Another problem is of course 'Dear Life' - being an official single - not being picked up by radio stations in Germany. Radio support has always been crucial for her to build her profile - I remember 'Next Best Superstar' being a huge radio hit in Germany at the time. Otherwise, promotion-wise I don't think Sony has done a bad job - I don't see them having 'failed' in terms of promoting this properly.

Overall, especially considering the first, second and third point, I'm okay with this chart position. It's not amazing and it doesn't exactly set the charts alight, but it's decent enough when factoring in all the above mentioned circumstances of the release.

very well writen! i agree!
tommie

Postby tommie » 25 Feb 2017, 03:22

People need to realise that the charts have changed drastically these past few years and certainly since the 90s - how many acts do release physical singles these days? Very few, and those that do usually do it through their websites / official stores as there's barely any record stores these days and not a lot of them even bothers to stock singles these days. As for it not being put up as a seperate download digitally? Well, most people cherry-pick... it's like people want to make excuses for it not striking a chord with the general public.

IMHO, Anymore should've been pushed internationally as it's probably the one song that doesn't sound like same-old same-old from her and it's what she probably needs.
tiagohm

Postby tiagohm » 25 Feb 2017, 03:49

but Germany still got a lot of physical releases for singles
Emma Station |
HIMzone666

Postby HIMzone666 » 25 Feb 2017, 10:22

tiagohm wrote:but Germany still got a lot of physical releases for singles

exactly! at media and electronic stores like Media Markt, Saturn or others stores who have a music section, you can still get single CDs. i think, in germany, CDs or not dead yet.
MC2016

Postby MC2016 » 25 Feb 2017, 11:14

scrabbles wrote:Okay, so #34 it is for the German album charts. Not great, not really bad either.

Yes - yes and yes. Very well said.

Not great of course but it could have been worse. By the way, NBS was #1 in radio airplay and its success last from April to August 2005. THIS enabled FDOML to happen and it smashed.
I still believe that Dear Life was the wrong lead single, I can`t believe Sony let her shoot that (horribe, sorry) video for such an important launch of the album. Or, if it wasnt their choice, why they didnt shoot another video or even choose another song. She has done whatever was possible to promote the single (because yes it was a single) but without a decent TV performance or radio support (#95 in the airplay)... what could we ever expect?!
argispice

Postby argispice » 25 Feb 2017, 11:25

I agree with all of you. It's not a great position but it isn't terrible. Now that the album is on charts ... Can we know how many copies has she sold? In the Uk if is on charts we can know how many copies exactly
HIMzone666

Postby HIMzone666 » 25 Feb 2017, 13:49

argispice wrote:I agree with all of you. It's not a great position but it isn't terrible. Now that the album is on charts ... Can we know how many copies has she sold? In the Uk if is on charts we can know how many copies exactly

i never found out anything about the amount of sold copies here in germany.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 25 Feb 2017, 14:38

tiagohm wrote:but Germany still got a lot of physical releases for singles

What difference would that make to anything? CD singles are becoming very rare in Germany and it would only have meant the same Mel C fans who already owned the song/album/cd single would have just got another copy. Dear Life might have scraped into the singles chart for 1 week and then out. That certainly wasn't going to help the album in any way.

I said launching the album off the back of Dear Life was madness, it has had a luke warm reception at best compared to Anymore.

As for the big gap between releases in the UK and Germany well it is pretty evident it was done to ride the press Mel was getting in the UK over the possible reunion and her backing out. There is no reason they both couldn't have been released this month in both countries.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Fulvio84

Postby Fulvio84 » 25 Feb 2017, 14:46

I hope they will release anymore closer to summer with stronger promotion and maybe they can save the album
WHAT DOESN'T KILL ME IS MAKING ME STRONG!
upload immagini gratis
http://fulvio84.deviantart.com/
Jupiter

Postby Jupiter » 25 Feb 2017, 21:55

Dear Life is 94 on radio in Germany this week.

Does anyone have any links for any radio stations which have vote charts? I remember there was a good few to vote on during the sea era.

Found this one for Germany,
http://www.radioberlin.de/musik/hey_mus ... 02-17.html
Red Boy
Custom Title: On A Mission

Postby Red Boy » 25 Feb 2017, 22:23

Jupiter wrote:Found this one for Germany,

Voted!
carlojosegomez8

Postby carlojosegomez8 » 26 Feb 2017, 06:29

Red Boy wrote:
Jupiter wrote:Found this one for Germany,

Voted!

Voted! :)
Kamcio

Postby Kamcio » 28 Feb 2017, 21:28

GERMANY - OUT OF TOP200
AUSTRIA - OUT OF TOP200
SWITZERLAND - OUT OF TOP200
scrabbles

Postby scrabbles » 28 Feb 2017, 21:53

Kamcio wrote:GERMANY - OUT OF TOP200
AUSTRIA - OUT OF TOP200

How do you know this? The German midweeks will not be announced until Wednesday at 10 am German time.
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 28 Feb 2017, 22:02

scrabbles wrote:
Kamcio wrote:GERMANY - OUT OF TOP200
AUSTRIA - OUT OF TOP200

How do you know this? The German midweeks will not be announced until Wednesday at 10 am German time.

He is probably referring to the iTunes Albums Charts.
tiagohm

Postby tiagohm » 28 Feb 2017, 22:08

she didnt make top 100 in Swiss or Austria?
Emma Station |
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 28 Feb 2017, 22:19

tiagohm wrote:she didnt make top 100 in Swiss or Austria?

Both charts haven't been announced yet. I think we will know tomorrow.
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 01 Mar 2017, 08:34

It is official! 'Version of Me' has entered the Swiss Albums Chart @ #24. (:
argispice

Postby argispice » 01 Mar 2017, 09:51

It's great! :love: :love: :music: :music:
Marcomel90

Postby Marcomel90 » 01 Mar 2017, 10:13

Red Boy wrote:It is official! 'Version of Me' has entered the Swiss Albums Chart @ #24. (:

That's good :)
scrabbles

Postby scrabbles » 01 Mar 2017, 10:28

Yes! That's good :)
scrabbles

Postby scrabbles » 01 Mar 2017, 11:02

Good news from Switzerland.

Bad weeks from Germany: #98 in the midweeks. :(
King

Postby King » 01 Mar 2017, 13:56

Her lowest charting album in Switzerland. VOM did not enter Austrian Top 75 sadly.

As i predicted VOM will have a 34-out of Top 100 chartrun in Germany. I'm not sure what can be done to save this era from being her worst to date.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 01 Mar 2017, 15:35

Her career as a recording artist really is dead.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01

Return to “Melanie C”