Version of Me & Anymore - Charts Topic

Levitate off the ground, getting up, getting down, let me see you post now
tiagohm

Re: Version of Me & Anymore - Charts Topic

Postby tiagohm » 01 Mar 2017, 17:57

She have great songs, she just need radio support, social media exposure and more TV performances
Emma Station |
felx

Postby felx » 01 Mar 2017, 18:12

tiagohm wrote:She have great songs, she just need radio support, social media exposure and more TV performances

nothing new....
I think we fans know the best how good songs she has......

but she wont get radio support or media exposure...or TV performances.....sadly
"'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'"
tommie

Postby tommie » 01 Mar 2017, 18:56

tiagohm wrote:She have great songs, she just need radio support, social media exposure and more TV performances

You can say that about any artist though. It's like saying if she only sold more records she'd be number one...
Red Boy
Custom Title: On A Mission

Postby Red Boy » 01 Mar 2017, 19:45

King wrote:Her lowest charting album in Switzerland.

Always look on the dark side of life, Electra.
Last edited by Red Boy on 01 Mar 2017, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
felx

Postby felx » 01 Mar 2017, 19:56

Red Boy wrote:
King wrote:Her lowest charting album in Switzerland. VOM did not enter Austrian Top 75 sadly.

Always look on the dark side of life, Electra.

I'll say it one more time - the Austrian Charts have NOT been revealed yet.

I am her biggest fan...but in this case....I am afraid there is no bright side at all.....
"'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 01 Mar 2017, 22:58

^ You are the biggest whiner on here, that's for sure. You whine about everything - shoes, clothes, single choices, performances and the list goes on & on.

Anyone who expected an album that had been out for four months to achieve the same chart position as an album that wasn't previously available is quite frankly deluded.
scrabbles

Postby scrabbles » 02 Mar 2017, 00:35

Still taking into consideration the huge delay with which the album was released in Germany - but I do think that this is disappointing. Or perhaps 'disappointing' isn't the right word, but just... deflating, perhaps. I hope she'll learn from this. What I think is needed now is another album release early next year, with the same release date both in the UK and in Germany. And something a lot more electronically than Version of Me. I do think that musically, this is a good route for her, but she needs to be more daring and push this electronic 'vibe' further.

On the up side of things, even though I find this deflating commercially, at the end of the day, I guess it depends how you define 'success'. Can we only measure this numerically, i.e. by looking at the numbers? That's probably the way Sony Music - being a globally operating for-profit organisation - will look at it.

I don't think that this is necessarily the way Melanie C, or Red Girl Records more collectively, will look at this. If she was purely out for commercial success, she would have never released album after album on her own label - some with moderate success, but some being commercial flops. I guess, at the end of the day, if she breaks even or makes a small profit, which - judged by her previous interviews, she always does - then that's fine. And she's indeed in a luxurious position: it enables her to keep doing what she loves to do - which is music. I think that determination and steadiness to keep going in the face of (some, not exclusively) commercial disappointments is admirable.

So, rather than just measuring success commercially, which most of her 'haters' on here seem to love doing, perhaps we should start looking at this from Mel's own perspective - so not (purely) commercially, but personally. And by so doing, Version of Me is a success in every aspect: she's more daring, and has a record to be proud of. She didn't bow down to huge external pressure - both from the press as well as hardcore Spice Girls fans who mistakenly seem to believe she has some sort of 'obligation' to reunite with them.

Instead, she followed her instincts and listened to what she felt was right for her. She just did her thing, completely irrespective of what others would think. That's Girl Power, right there. And to be able to still follow that philosophy, and to firmly do the things you believe are right, twenty years on from when the idea was conceived - that, to me, is bigger and stronger than any commercial success one can hope for.
felx

Postby felx » 02 Mar 2017, 00:43

Red Boy wrote:^ You are the biggest whiner on here, that's for sure. You whine about everything - shoes, clothes, single choices, performances and the list goes on & on.

Anyone who expected an album that had been out for four months to achieve the same chart position as an album that wasn't previously available is quite frankly deluded.

I don't have to like every clothes shoes she is wearing
but.....thinking this is ok album performance is a bit deluded....sorry.......the truth is this is a bad album performance...
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 02 Mar 2017, 00:49

scrabbles wrote:Still taking into consideration the huge delay with which the album was released in Germany - but I do think that this is disappointing. Or perhaps 'disappointing' isn't the right word, but just... deflating, perhaps. I hope she'll learn from this. What I think is needed now is another album release early next year, with the same release date both in the UK and in Germany. And something a lot more electronically than Version of Me. I do think that musically, this is a good route for her, but she needs to be more daring and push this electronic 'vibe' further.

On the up side of things, even though I find this deflating commercially, at the end of the day, I guess it depends how you define 'success'. Can we only measure this numerically, i.e. by looking at the numbers? That's probably the way Sony Music - being a globally operating for-profit organisation - will look at it.

I don't think that this is necessarily the way Melanie C, or Red Girl Records more collectively, will look at this. If she was purely out for commercial success, she would have never released album after album on her own label - some with moderate success, but some being commercial flops. I guess, at the end of the day, if she breaks even or makes a small profit, which - judged by her previous interviews, she always does - then that's fine. And she's indeed in a luxurious position: it enables her to keep doing what she loves to do - which is music. I think that determination and steadiness to keep going in the face of (some, not exclusively) commercial disappointments is admirable.

So, rather than just measuring success commercially, which most of her 'haters' on here seem to love doing, perhaps we should start looking at this from Mel's own perspective - so not (purely) commercially, but personally. And by so doing, Version of Me is a success in every aspect: she's more daring, and has a record to be proud of. She didn't bow down to huge external pressure - both from the press as well as hardcore Spice Girls fans who mistakenly seem to believe she has some sort of 'obligation' to reunite with them.

Instead, she followed her instincts and listened to what she felt was right for her. She just did her thing, completely irrespective of what others would think. That's Girl Power, right there. And to be able to still follow that philosophy, and to firmly do the things you believe are right, twenty years on from when the idea was conceived - that, to me, is bigger and stronger than any commercial success one can hope for.

Where are these interviews where she says she makes a profit? I don't watch all her interviews admittedly but what I have seen she always has said how she basically takes a hit when she releases a record and or tours. I'd be genuinely interested to watch when she talks about making a profit.

I cant believe she does because she wouldn't wait 5 years to release material and be doing a radio slot if she could actually make money from her own music.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
Fulvio84

Postby Fulvio84 » 03 Mar 2017, 17:45

generally I had big expectations from this album, i really tought it could be go much better than THE SEA and it's so sad to see that in the end each album go worst than the one before.
her music deserve much more (all solo spice music actually)
WHAT DOESN'T KILL ME IS MAKING ME STRONG!
upload immagini gratis
http://fulvio84.deviantart.com/
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 03 Mar 2017, 18:08

^ It actually opened better than both The Sea & Stages in the UK. I'm confident that, when all is said and done, it will eventually outsell them as well.

In fact, going by the number of weeks it spent in the Indie chart, I wouldn't be surprised if it has already outsold Stages.
Sam Rogers-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Sam Rogers-Bennett » 03 Mar 2017, 22:25

But are sales the same as in 2011? When Version Of Me charted did it outsell The Sea's first week sales? Serious question. Not sure if sales are up or down
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 03 Mar 2017, 22:32

3,735 first week sales for The Sea at #45 in 2011
4,084 first week sales for Version of Me at #25 in 2016

So a slight increase, but The Sea held up better in week two than Version of Me.
Kevsie

Postby Kevsie » 04 Mar 2017, 16:43

I would love her to be more successful, of course I would, and it's sad she's not. But I wish we could just love the reason she does it - for the music. She's never going to set he charts alight again, so let's just enjoy it
Kamcio

Postby Kamcio » 04 Mar 2017, 18:31

so shes no longer big in Deutschland
felx

Postby felx » 04 Mar 2017, 18:37

Kamcio wrote:so shes no longer big in Deutschland

she is not big since This Time
King

Postby King » 04 Mar 2017, 23:35

To be big somewhere you have to be constant or you lose momentum. Her first mistake was Reason being released in 2003, almost 4 years after NS. The album should have been released in Autumn 2001 to keep the momentum. Virgin didn't recognize that. Her second mistake was starting her own company instead of searching for a new label. I'm not saying she didn't have success with her company, but she did get lucky with BI and TT being modest sellers. Again, she waited too long to release The Sea and now VOM. She's not a constant artist that you can follow.
allatsea

Postby allatsea » 05 Mar 2017, 00:10

King wrote:To be big somewhere you have to be constant or you lose momentum. Her first mistake was Reason being released in 2003, almost 4 years after NS. The album should have been released in Autumn 2001 to keep the momentum. Virgin didn't recognize that. Her second mistake was starting her own company instead of searching for a new label. I'm not saying she didn't have success with her company, but she did get lucky with BI and TT being modest sellers. Again, she waited too long to release The Sea and now VOM. She's not a constant artist that you can follow.

No way!

Autumn 2001 would have been the tail end of a year when the there way way too much SG solo material release for the market to deal with it. Even EMI's CEO said that the public were sick of hearing about Geri at this point. Three out of four solo SG contracts were coming to and end or had already done so, I get why Virgin waited to release Reason. After Reason though, I'm sure she would have picked up a company if anything decent had been offered, and she went with Warners outside the UK. So I don't think the option was there. The waiting time for The Sea and VoM has been long but has delivered quality work. Mature artists tend to be less prolific anyway.
tommie

Postby tommie » 05 Mar 2017, 00:19

Let's get real here - Reason was mostly shit, hence it flopped. It had momentum, radio still played her and I think the album still was able to enter at #5 - had the material been there, so would the audience been. But she was Malevolent Mel at that point and decided to mostly go for Middle of the Road trash and it's like girl bye.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 05 Mar 2017, 01:18

tommie wrote:Let's get real here - Reason was mostly shit, hence it flopped. It had momentum, radio still played her and I think the album still was able to enter at #5 - had the material been there, so would the audience been. But she was Malevolent Mel at that point and decided to mostly go for Middle of the Road trash and it's like girl bye.

Yep I agree. HICA and OTH both were top 10 on radio and she opened at #5 with 35k sold. It is just reason is on reflection an awful album that lacked any spark or stand out tracks. Her attitude was awful too. She killed her own career.
*Babyboy*
Previous username(s): babymen

Postby *Babyboy* » 06 Mar 2017, 18:28

First page updated.
Dear Life is #88 on German airplay chart.... better then nothing.
~niki~

Postby ~niki~ » 06 Mar 2017, 18:57

tommie wrote:Let's get real here - Reason was mostly shit, hence it flopped. It had momentum, radio still played her and I think the album still was able to enter at #5 - had the material been there, so would the audience been. But she was Malevolent Mel at that point and decided to mostly go for Middle of the Road trash and it's like girl bye.

She was experimenting at that time and didn't really know what sound she wanted to go for. I think she got the radio play for that one because she was still a novelty, being freshly solo from the Spice Girls at that time. I personally hate most of the tracks from Reason. I only ended up downloading HICA and Reason.

Kevsie wrote:I would love her to be more successful, of course I would, and it's sad she's not. But I wish we could just love the reason she does it - for the music. She's never going to set he charts alight again, so let's just enjoy it.

I think we're lucky she enjoys it enough to keep going. She's put out so many albums when she could have just given up and done something else. I love that she's still putting albums out. I really hope this isn't the last!
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 06 Mar 2017, 19:24

Reason to me sounds like the exact opposite of experimenting, it is boring and so safe. I guess it could have worked for her had there been 1 or 2 absolutely beautiful songs (another Northern Star) but there really just isn't.
tommie

Postby tommie » 06 Mar 2017, 19:39

sammy01 wrote:Reason to me sounds like the exact opposite of experimenting, it is boring and so safe. I guess it could have worked for her had there been 1 or 2 absolutely beautiful songs (another Northern Star) but there really just isn't.

EXACTLY.

Malevolent Mel (which is a name that amuses me) needed another "I Turn To You" at that point - yet... there's not anything close to it. No wonder her label dropped her! I think they heard what she was recording and it was like "k girl, bye".
carlojosegomez8

Postby carlojosegomez8 » 06 Mar 2017, 20:47

I really don't understand why most fans including Melanie herself doesn't like the album Reason. I mean, she wrote the songs on Reason, right? It's not as great as Northern Star but why did she wrote those songs in the first place? I also think that the fans should stop blaming Reason for ending her music career. In my personal opinion it is the long wait in between album releases that ended it. Only few solid and very loyal fans like us are willing to wait for new materials no matter how long it will take for Melanie to release it. Some not so loyal supporters tend to forget her. In addition, I think most songs on Version Of Me sounded like songs from the Reason era but with electronic effects. Just saying... No matter what, I will always support Melanie. :)

Return to “Melanie C”