Version of Me - Album Reviews (Critics)

Levitate off the ground, getting up, getting down, let me see you post now
felx

Version of Me - Album Reviews (Critics)

Postby felx » 16 Oct 2016, 19:33

Version of Me * Sunday Express review

Melanie C Version Of Me  (Red Girl)

Former Spice Girl Melanie Chisholm’s seventh album brings in hot production duo Sons Of Sonix and is a very deliberate exercise in modern R’n’B flavoured pop. This feels, at times, like a mistake: Numb, in particular, is laden with so much sonic trickery it sounds like builders are working in the studio.
When the producers calm down and her huskily powerful but always slightly vulnerable voice is allowed to soar, as on the closing quartet of tracks, the results are superb. 

VERDICT: 3/5

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/721340/Album-reviews-The-Lemon-Twigs-Kings-Of-Leon-Melanie-C
"'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'"
Paul
Custom Title: Say No To The World

Re: Version of Me * Sunday Express review

Postby Paul » 16 Oct 2016, 20:01

An ok review from the Sunday Express. They are usually negative about anything I enjoy.

Look forward to reading more reviews!
goin down

Postby goin down » 16 Oct 2016, 20:51

Useless review
Reveals nothing
'all i can tell you is to know who you are'
bryand

Postby bryand » 16 Oct 2016, 20:58

I have to agree with regards to Numb. The chorus imo is horrific!
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 16 Oct 2016, 21:05

I actually was a bit dissapointed at Numb being int he album. I thought it would be a bside.
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 16 Oct 2016, 21:15

When she released Numb didn't she or her team say it was not from her new album just something she wanted to release, wasn't it even Sons of Sonix ft Melanie C, odd it made the album.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
RCB84

Postby RCB84 » 17 Oct 2016, 07:17

sammy01 wrote:When she released Numb didn't she or her team say it was not from her new album just something she wanted to release, wasn't it even Sons of Sonix ft Melanie C, odd it made the album.

Naybe it's a remixed form?
pinkdor

Postby pinkdor » 17 Oct 2016, 08:21

sammy01 wrote:When she released Numb didn't she or her team say it was not from her new album just something she wanted to release, wasn't it even Sons of Sonix ft Melanie C, odd it made the album.

A girl's allowed to change her mind!! :p
Hannes84
Custom Title: ChiariWarrior

Postby Hannes84 » 17 Oct 2016, 09:10

I prefer Numb over Anymore very much. It has an organic flow to.it, develops towards the end until all the elements of the song come together. Quite brilliant! Granted, it is not typical Mel C but it's still one of her best. I really hope there will be more songs like Numb on the album.
I often look upon the stars, darling. Which one's yours?
pinkdor

Postby pinkdor » 17 Oct 2016, 09:28

Hannes84 wrote:I prefer Numb over Anymore very much. It has an organic flow to.it, develops towards the end until all the elements of the song come together. Quite brilliant! Granted, it is not typical Mel C but it's still one of her best. I really hope there will be more songs like Numb on the album.

+1
herman22j

Postby herman22j » 17 Oct 2016, 10:20

I don't like Anymore nor Numb... to me weakest numbers at the moment... i'm not blown away. I'm more interested in the leaked version Didn't hear you leave... much better and stronger song. Numb/Anymore just forgetable
NUFF SAID
felx

Postby felx » 17 Oct 2016, 10:39

herman22j wrote:I don't like Anymore nor Numb... to me weakest numbers at the moment... i'm not blown away. I'm more interested in the leaked version Didn't hear you leave... much better and stronger song. Numb/Anymore just forgetable

Lol those leaked snippet songs are not even Bside materials....sorry
Anymore is her best since NS.....(for my taste)
"'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 17 Oct 2016, 21:58

lmao I love DenDen anything with a hint of negativity just gets the "omg they dunt know wot there talking abowt!!!1" treatment Image haha

x
Sam Rogers-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Sam Rogers-Bennett » 17 Oct 2016, 22:39

Fair review. Numb shouldn't be on the album. To me though neither should Anymore. The rest of the album is so much better. To me Numb and Anymore are NOT good introductions to the album. Everyone hears it and feels it different though. I was personally really impressed with the album. I'd been worried after numb and Anymore. Both of which I like but they're not that strong as singles. Think About It blows Anymore out the water
[Dan]

Postby [Dan] » 18 Oct 2016, 12:10

Samuel-Bennett wrote:Fair review. Numb shouldn't be on the album. To me though neither should Anymore. The rest of the album is so much better. To me Numb and Anymore are NOT good introductions to the album. Everyone hears it and feels it different though. I was personally really impressed with the album. I'd been worried after numb and Anymore. Both of which I like but they're not that strong as singles. Think About It blows Anymore out the water

I actually really disagree! Obviously I've only heard the album at the album launch so haven't properly heard it, but I felt that these two songs really gave the album a lift as they're definitely the two most upbeat. They were a nice change of pace.

And I also don't really feel the same about Anymore/Think About it either! True, Think About It was my favourite song of hers in years when it came out, but I think Anymore actually is a stronger single... It's much more 'replayable' IMO and accessible for non-fans with a catchier chorus. The two of them are up there with her best singles since the Northern Star days though!
felx

Postby felx » 18 Oct 2016, 13:41

Anymore is by far her best single since NS era.......at least for my taste....
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 18 Oct 2016, 15:14

I'm also on the Anymore team.
alexgirardii
Custom Title: back in business

Re: Version Of Me REVIEWS

Postby alexgirardii » 19 Oct 2016, 19:37

What about all VOM reviews on the same topic?

Here it is one from Independent.co.uk

Melanie C, Version Of Me
★★★☆☆
Download: Dear Life; Something For The Fire; Numb
With her seventh album, the most prolific former Spice Girl offers her most accomplished solo outing so far, a series of ruminations on life and love that reflect her growing maturity. The opening “Dear Life” establishes the tone, with a lyric – “should I lay back and let the tide wash over me, or fight?” – in effective recasting Hamlet’s soliloquy to express worries about losing control of her life. Set to fluttering piano tremors and swelling cymbals, it’s an intriguing direction taken up in the title-track, where Chisholm determines to be a different character from the one romantically paralysed in the synth stomper “Anymore” and the philosophical “Something For The Fire”. Marked by an inventive title-hook featuring multiple autotuned vocals, “Numb” sums up this general theme of alienation, while “Escalator” offers a potent metaphor for the wearying pace of modern life and ambition.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 69836.html
cripesdude

Postby cripesdude » 19 Oct 2016, 19:49

Quite a descriptive review, if a little light on opinion. 3 stars isn't bad, wish it was 4!
mattchat

Postby mattchat » 19 Oct 2016, 19:50

Good idea
Glindathegood

Postby Glindathegood » 19 Oct 2016, 20:22

Nice review!

Is this thread just for professional reviews from magazines and newspapers?

I think it would be great to have a thread starting Friday with fan reviews. I always find it more interesting reading reviews by other fans than by music critics anyway.
We could rate each song on a scale of 1 to 10. It would be a lot of fun!
bryand

Postby bryand » 19 Oct 2016, 20:46

Slightly hypocritical of me but any chance we can keep this post with just reviews only and not everyone replying. Such a drag scrolling through everyone's opinions of the reviews lol. :kiss:
felx

Postby felx » 19 Oct 2016, 20:56

bryand wrote:Slightly hypocritical of me but any chance we can keep this post with just reviews only and not everyone replying. Such a drag scrolling through everyone's opinions of the reviews lol. :kiss:

+1
kelsoTX

Re: Version of Me - Album Reviews (Critics)

Postby kelsoTX » 21 Oct 2016, 20:17

I like this one http://jcinldn.com/melanie-c-version-review

"Published on October 21, 2016 — by Jamie Clarke

Version Of Me Is Out Now
You may be hearing plenty of talk about some bird called Joanne, but today sees the release of an album from a truly legendary artist. Melanie C’s seventh album Version Of Me is now unleashed upon the world. Five years are a lifetime in pop, and following up her brilliant 2011 album The Sea must have been a daunting prospect. Melanie started writing sessions for Version Of Me in 2013, taking her time to create something that truly captured where she is in her life.

Her first truly electronic record, Version Of Me is probably the most ‘current’ album Melanie has ever recorded. Straddling the pop-rock landscape since 1999’s Northern Star, this is certainly new sonic territory for her, but she sounds confident and comfortable. Aside from Melanie herself, it’s the lyrics and themes that really shine through on an album that wanders into pretty generic production territory at points during its forty-two minutes.

“Don’t know if I believe in a god…Don’t know if I believe in fate…” Melanie C sings on ‘Dear Life,’ the album’s opening track. “The only thing I know for sure, we’re not getting out of this alive,” she near-raps over 808 beats and fluttering synths.

It seems Melanie C has been making an effort to make sense of her place in the world. “I haven’t got it sussed, I still make mistakes. And I want that out there in my music,” she recently told Bizarre during a live interview. Wise, and self-assured she continued, “We’re in this together. Everybody as human beings. We have the same issues. We have the same fears. Instead of being at war with each other, let’s just come together and enjoy our time here.”

These themes are explored at length on Version Of Me, which is as much a personal revelation as it is a pop album. It may not be as left-field in its method, or as accomplished in its production, but there are clear thematic similarities with Madonna’s Ray Of Light.

‘Escalator’ tackles our obsession with possessions over relationships and surprises with its bordering-on-grime bass line and Fairlight-style synth. “I don’t wanna get political,” Melanie warns, “would it be so terrible, if we all helped each other so much more than we do?”

"Melanie C Version Of Me
She might be Philosophical Spice, but she’s still sporty
‘Something For The Fire’ is an incredibly strong, moody electronic ballad. The track’s dirty bass line draws the listener along with it as Melanie laments the loss of a relationship, despite life carrying on regardless. “It don’t matter. Just a memory been and gone. Nature carries on,” she sings with an almost bitter delivery.

Spice Girls subtext is all over ‘Version Of Me’ as Melanie sings, “Nothing lasts forever, but you’re wrapped around my DNA. And I’m hiding in the corner, the wounded kid I was.” Lyrically, it’s one of the most interesting tracks on the album. Melanie has been quite honest about her experiences in the band, her relief upon leaving it, and her problems after it.Clearly it’s something that affected her deeply, as sixteen years after first leaving the group, it’s still providing subject matter for her songs.

‘Room For Love’ is an album highlight, and probably should have been the album’s first single. There’s a dubstep-lite bass line and skittering synth flourishes and a hook that’s reminiscent of Nelly Furtado’s ‘ brilliant ‘All Good Things (Come To An End)’.

‘Loving You Better’ has an early-ninties feel with its grimy filtered beat, electronic hi-hats and electric piano chords. A restrained and relaxed vocal delivery really elevates the track, and the chorus hook, “If I’m loving you better that’s cool…” is simple and effective.

Two of the album’s most interesting tracks are its closing ones. The almost-oriental chimed backing track and wooden block beat of ‘Our History’ makes a welcome change from the pretty constant textures on display on the rest of the record. ‘Blame’ is sparse and raw with an near-spoken verses that open up into a euphoric chorus with a classic Melanie C middle eight.

Version Of Me contains some of the best vocal performances and insightful lyrics of Melanie C’s career. The album might lack the huge singles of Northern Star, or the rich orchestral arrangements of The Sea, but it absolutely holds its own in her now extensive back catalogue. It’s testament to Melanie’s artistry, humility and intelligence that, at this point in her career, she still has so much to say, and that she can say it so well.

Version Of Me is available to download and stream from iTunes, Spotify, Apple Music and Deezer."
"Face your fears, live your dreams!"
_Douglas_

Re: Version of Me - Album Reviews (Critics)

Postby _Douglas_ » 21 Oct 2016, 20:58

'Numb' is a no go... I keep on jumping the track when it comes in...lol! It sounds annoying.

'Anymore' is great, but it made me afraid the album would just sound like this. I'm glad it doesn't.

I'm just very surprised she choose 'Something For the Fire' to be the second single, having way much better tracks on the album. 'Escalator' would make a great second single, so would 'Room For Love' be the third and finally SFTF as 4th and last.

Return to “Melanie C”