Version of Me - Album Reviews (Critics)

Levitate off the ground, getting up, getting down, let me see you post now
felx

Re: Version of Me - Album Reviews (Critics)

Postby felx » 21 Oct 2016, 21:10

_Douglas_ wrote:'Numb' is a no go... I keep on jumping the track when it comes in...lol! It sounds annoying.

'Anymore' is great, but it made me afraid the album would just sound like this. I'm glad it doesn't.

I'm just very surprised she choose 'Something For the Fire' to be the second single, having way much better tracks on the album. 'Escalator' would make a great second single, so would 'Room For Love' be the third and finally SFTF as 4th and last.

We don't know which song is the next single.... that is based on some fan site hashtag and that the director wrote "Something for Melanie C"
"'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'"
halloweenhead
Custom Title: SPICE FORCE FIVE

Re: Version of Me * Sunday Express review

Postby halloweenhead » 21 Oct 2016, 21:13

Samuel-Bennett wrote:Fair review. Numb shouldn't be on the album. To me though neither should Anymore. The rest of the album is so much better. To me Numb and Anymore are NOT good introductions to the album. Everyone hears it and feels it different though. I was personally really impressed with the album. I'd been worried after numb and Anymore. Both of which I like but they're not that strong as singles. Think About It blows Anymore out the water

I totally agree. While Anymore has grown on me, I still don't love it. I LOVED Think About It.
1-2-3-4-5, SPICE-GIRLS!
Red Boy
Custom Title: On A Mission

Postby Red Boy » 22 Oct 2016, 11:17

Music-News.com wrote:Melanie C
Version of Me
Red Girl Records (label)
21 October 2016 (released)

Jeremy Williams-Chalmers

Melanie C has been making a lot of noise in the press recently. This is no bad thing as we love Melanie's honesty. With demand high for the Spice Girls to reunite for their 20th anniversary, Melanie has found herself time and again having to justify her decision to focus on her solo career as opposed to the much-in-demand reunion. With her reasons clarified repeatedly, Melanie clearly wants to allow the Spice Girls to go out with a bang rather than simply turn them into a cash cow. Fair enough. So what has she been upto instead, the answer is clear on her seventh studio album, Version of Me, she has been rediscovering her identity as a musician.

Unlike her former bandmates, Melanie C has never really played the straight forward pop card in the aftermath of the Spice Girls. While her cover of I Want Candy, which featured on 2007's This Time, demonstrated her at her poppiest, her more recent releases have explored subdued rock (2011's The Sea) and musical theatre (2012's Stages). However it is for her debut album, the rock and r'n'b driven Northern Star, released in 1999, that Melanie C is most heralded as a soloist.

Therefore it is little surprise that for her latest record Melanie has returned to the sound that defined her initially as a soloist. However, it would be unfair to suggest that she is retreading old ground. This may not be a reinvention on the level of Lady Gaga or Madonna, but Melanie C has never tried to be like either of those. She has always maintained her own integrity and personality and simply applied her dexterous and versatile vocal to whatever genre she pleases.

Teaming up with Sons of Sonix gives Melanie C a sound that is current and straddles a perfect balance between winning over new, younger fans and pleasing the wants of her fans of old. As lead single, Anymore, proved, Melanie C is in a feisty moved and ready to make you move. As a result the album is more R'n'B anthem heavy than any of Melanie's earlier work, but this is no bad thing when the cuts are as addictive as Escalator and Numb.

Clearly aware that her fans crave her emotionally rich, unaffected vocal, Melanie closes the album with a flawless closing quartet. While Unraveling will give you thrilling shivers down the spine, these only intensify as she builds to the intense and intelligent closer Blame.

Version of Me is aptly titled. It is definitively Melanie C, but as ever a Melanie C that has not been explored on record previously. This is a must-listen.

★★★★★

http://www.music-news.com/review/UK/121 ... /Melanie-C

:music:
Thom
Previous username(s): THOM
memyselfandspice

Re: Version of Me * Sunday Express review

Postby Thom » 22 Oct 2016, 12:03

Vomiting Porpoise wrote:lmao I love DenDen anything with a hint of negativity just gets the "omg they dunt know wot there talking abowt!!!1" treatment Image haha

x

OR if it's a negative review it's also
"but usually they are a lot more negative so i think this is good!!"
...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness

http://youtu.be/oxRWqirflxk
alexgirardii
Custom Title: back in business

Postby alexgirardii » 22 Oct 2016, 20:23

Red Boy wrote:
Music-News.com wrote:Melanie C
Version of Me
Red Girl Records (label)
21 October 2016 (released)

Jeremy Williams-Chalmers

Melanie C has been making a lot of noise in the press recently. This is no bad thing as we love Melanie's honesty. With demand high for the Spice Girls to reunite for their 20th anniversary, Melanie has found herself time and again having to justify her decision to focus on her solo career as opposed to the much-in-demand reunion. With her reasons clarified repeatedly, Melanie clearly wants to allow the Spice Girls to go out with a bang rather than simply turn them into a cash cow. Fair enough. So what has she been upto instead, the answer is clear on her seventh studio album, Version of Me, she has been rediscovering her identity as a musician.

Unlike her former bandmates, Melanie C has never really played the straight forward pop card in the aftermath of the Spice Girls. While her cover of I Want Candy, which featured on 2007's This Time, demonstrated her at her poppiest, her more recent releases have explored subdued rock (2011's The Sea) and musical theatre (2012's Stages). However it is for her debut album, the rock and r'n'b driven Northern Star, released in 1999, that Melanie C is most heralded as a soloist.

Therefore it is little surprise that for her latest record Melanie has returned to the sound that defined her initially as a soloist. However, it would be unfair to suggest that she is retreading old ground. This may not be a reinvention on the level of Lady Gaga or Madonna, but Melanie C has never tried to be like either of those. She has always maintained her own integrity and personality and simply applied her dexterous and versatile vocal to whatever genre she pleases.

Teaming up with Sons of Sonix gives Melanie C a sound that is current and straddles a perfect balance between winning over new, younger fans and pleasing the wants of her fans of old. As lead single, Anymore, proved, Melanie C is in a feisty moved and ready to make you move. As a result the album is more R'n'B anthem heavy than any of Melanie's earlier work, but this is no bad thing when the cuts are as addictive as Escalator and Numb.

Clearly aware that her fans crave her emotionally rich, unaffected vocal, Melanie closes the album with a flawless closing quartet. While Unraveling will give you thrilling shivers down the spine, these only intensify as she builds to the intense and intelligent closer Blame.

Version of Me is aptly titled. It is definitively Melanie C, but as ever a Melanie C that has not been explored on record previously. This is a must-listen.

★★★★★

http://www.music-news.com/review/UK/121 ... /Melanie-C

:music:

I really don't remember any other 5 stars review with other album she had... I think NS get some 4 stars but... this is 10/10. Nice recognition.
Spice Girls feat. Indigno Kid
alexgirardii

Postby alexgirardii » 22 Oct 2016, 20:25

Melanie C returns with trendy pop album

The Spice Girls celebrated the 20th birthday of their break out hit ‘Wannabe’ this year and Emma Bunton, Melanie B and Geri Halliwell teased a reunion. Melanie C wasn’t joining them for the little celebration though and soon after it turned out she was working on new solo material. After waiting for five years for more original material, we finally have a new record to listen to! After the release of the contemporary sounding pop anthem ‘Anymore’, Sporty Spice drops the album Version of Me that follows a similar trendy path.

‘Anymore’ certainly was a promising first taste of the record. The track is well produced and has an incredibly memorable chorus. If there was any (pop)justice in the world she would have had a big hit with such a well written on trend song. Of course that did not really happen, but that did not stop her from sending more electronic pop that sounds right on the money our way. The album opens with ‘Dear Life’, an anthemic pop tune with a big soaring chorus and an important question: “Dear life, what do you hold for me?” Unfortunately we can not answer that, but we can tell you that Version of Me holds a lot to enjoy for admirers of Mel’s distinctive vocals.

With ‘Escalator’ she delivers the most electronic track of the new album with some unexpected synths in the bouncy chorus. It probably is the most interesting and daring composition and production on the album and we applaud her for that. On the darker title track, driven by dramatic strings ad thunderous drums, she delivers a clear message to the person from her past who keeps haunting her: “Why can’t you let go of me, I don’t have the patience anymore!” One of the absolute best choruses on the album comes from ‘Room For Love’, a midtempo track with prominent beats and a typical 2016 electronic production.

The most obvious hit potential on Version of Me is definitely the track ‘Numb’. If you ever wondered what it would sound like if Melanie C sang on a Major Lazer or DJ Snake track, this would be the answer. The same way of creating instrumental hooks is created in the chorus, and the melody line in the verses is strong enough to carry the parts in between. This is not to say that Melanie C is only chasing trends on this record, as she also delivers classic guitar pop on a song like ‘Loving You Better’, in a style that might have fitted with the earlier Spice Girls work as well.

Although this might not be a groundbreaking or headturning album in any way, it is definitely more than serviceable with strong compositions and well executed prodcutions that seamlessly capture the period they were recorded in. It is not Melanie’s most original work, but she shows she knows how to stay relevant and follows a trend convincingly while still being able to put her own mark on it, with those easily recognizable distinctive vocals of hers. If she keeps up this good work, we are excited for another 20 years of Mel C in the music industry.

Must listen: Anymore, Dear Life, Room For Love, Escalator, Version of Me

Source: https://abitofpopmusic.com/2016/10/22/a ... ion-of-me/
alexgirardii

Postby alexgirardii » 27 Oct 2016, 17:34

Another 5 stars review:

Source: https://www.auspop.com.au/2016/10/melan ... um-review/

Self-confessed Sporty Spice fan David has some very good things to say about Melanie C’s newbie ‘Version Of Me’ in his latest album review.
The year is 1996 and I am glued to the TV as an eight year old because there is a new band with a crazy new music video and an extremely catchy song. I’ve got my VHS player ready to record it so I can play it back on repeat and try to learn the dance moves.
There’s a girl in the group with Adidas track pants, a gold tooth and reminds me of myself (as an eight year old athlete anyways). This is obviously the Spice Girls’ debut album and I am head over heels for Sporty Spice. So much so, that my mum is forced to the local toy store to pick up a Sporty Spice doll for me amongst all the other crazed parents and when she comes back with Posh, I refuse to speak to her for a week.
I have always loved Melanie C and her voice and so when she went solo, I suitability felt like her number one fan.
Her debut came out in 1999 (if you ignore that collaboration with Bryan Adams in 1998) and I was hooked.
Always seen as the “voice” of the group, Mel has always created interesting bodies of work. And with a solo career spanning 15 years so far, she has had a longevity that any artist could envy.
Melanie C’s seventh studio album is now here and ‘Version Of Me’ harks back to her debut, while showcasing her affinity for a good pop tune.
Working with London based electronic duo Sons Of Sonix, she has created a lush, complex and very polished set. The lyrics are amongst some of the most personal yet and I think this is why she sounds so believable behind them.
Album opener ‘Dear Life’ is a letter to the powers that be asking for some guidance. It’s stoic and really relatable (particularly if you’re having a less than stellar day).
Lead single ‘Anymore’ is amongst the best pop tunes this year. Its unique sound means it stands out in a sea of tropical house.
The thing I love most about ‘Version Of Me’ is just how consistently good it is the whole way through. Previous efforts have been a bit more of a mixed bag but this is a consistently good album.
In the press leading up to the release, she’s talked about always wanting to make an electronic album but not having felt confident enough to do so. I can honestly say it doesn’t sound like she had any reason to worry.
Criminally, this album won’t hit number one (it’s out the week Lady Gaga’s new album is out) and that’s a crying shame.
This is the best Mel has sounded in years and deserves the attention, accolades and success its music warrants.
Whether you’re a Spice Girls fan or not, any fan of pop should have this album in their collection – one of the best this year.

VERDICT : 5/5.
MUST LISTEN : Dear Life, Anymore, Version Of Me, Room For Love, Blame.
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 29 Oct 2016, 16:47

Sunday Times

23/09/2016

MELANIE C
Version Of Me
Red Girl Records

As if throwing a spanner in the Spice Girls reunion wasn’t enough, Mel C has at last made an album fit to put Sporty out to pasture. Opting for classy electronic pop proves a masterstroke for the nicest Spice on her seventh solo outing. With the aid of beatmakers including Sons of Sonix (Stormzy, Tinie Tempah), she summons the spirit of Ray of Light-era Madonna, does dancefloor for grown-ups, shimmies into tropical pop and reins in the powerhouse vocals. The shimmering Dear Life, which deals with depression, the anti-consumerist Escalator and the strings-soaked title track, about overcoming bullying, are more fun than finger-wagging.

Paul
Custom Title: Say No To The World

Postby Paul » 29 Oct 2016, 20:23

^ Love it.

She also got 4 stars in the Daily Mail yesterday and a 1/2 page review. I have taken a picture of it and can upload if needed.
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 29 Oct 2016, 20:27

Paul wrote:She also got 4 stars in the Daily Mail yesterday and a 1/2 page review. I have taken a picture of it and can upload if needed.

Yes. Please do. :)
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 30 Oct 2016, 00:36

Paul wrote:^ Love it.

She also got 4 stars in the Daily Mail yesterday and a 1/2 page review. I have taken a picture of it and can upload if needed.

Please, upload it :-)
Juanko

Postby Juanko » 30 Oct 2016, 03:56

Im so glad! Its a very good album she deserves it. Very good production Sons of Sonix!
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 05 Nov 2016, 13:01

PopCrush: Best Songs We Heard This Week

Melanie C, “Escalator”
It’s no coincidence that Melanie C’s new album (perhaps her best since 1999’s Northern Star) aligns with the 20th anniversary of the Spice Girls — but on Version of Me, the artist formerly known as Sporty Spice proves her lasting potency sans the rest of the Spice rack. “Escalator” in particular is a testament to her undeniable talents as a solo pop force. The moody, rhythmic pop jam is elevated by a flurry of trendy house beats and shadowy synths, Melanie’s voice emoting as earnestly as ever as she laments about trying to keep up with the fast-paced rush of life. It’s a surefire alt-pop anthem, and she rides it all the way to the top. – Erica Russell

Source

Wow! :love:
felx

Postby felx » 05 Nov 2016, 14:24

Red Boy wrote:PopCrush: Best Songs We Heard This Week

Melanie C, “Escalator”
It’s no coincidence that Melanie C’s new album (perhaps her best since 1999’s Northern Star) aligns with the 20th anniversary of the Spice Girls — but on Version of Me, the artist formerly known as Sporty Spice proves her lasting potency sans the rest of the Spice rack. “Escalator” in particular is a testament to her undeniable talents as a solo pop force. The moody, rhythmic pop jam is elevated by a flurry of trendy house beats and shadowy synths, Melanie’s voice emoting as earnestly as ever as she laments about trying to keep up with the fast-paced rush of life. It’s a surefire alt-pop anthem, and she rides it all the way to the top. – Erica Russell

Source

Wow! :love:

niceeeee :love:
"'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 05 Nov 2016, 14:50

Paul wrote:^ Love it.

Managed to find it in the end:

Forget Sporty Spice, here's Electro Spice... Mel C's latest album Version of Me is grown-up pop that shows why she rejected a reunion

By ADRIAN THRILLS FOR THE DAILY MAIL

MELANIE C: Version of Me (Red Girl)
Verdict: Grown-up Pop
Rating: Image

When she was approached by former bandmates Geri, Emma and Mel B about a money-spinning Spice Girls reunion to mark the 20th anniversary of their first hit, Melanie Chisholm thought long and hard and then said: No.

This seventh solo album by the artist formerly known as Sporty Spice goes some way towards explaining why the 42-year-old singer joined Victoria Beckham in turning down the project.

A thoughtful collection of mature electronic pop, Version Of Me is far from ground-breaking, its textured, atmospheric rhythms recalling everyone from Massive Attack to Australian singer Sia Furler.

But all in all, it’s a significant departure for an artist still prepared to experiment.

Mel has dabbled in synthetic stylings before, but this album, much of it produced by dance duo Sons of Sonix, is her first full electronic offering.

Revealing its power gradually, it also examines her hopes and fears with surprising candour.

Chisholm has admitted that some of the material deals with her split, four years ago, from former boyfriend Tom Starr, father of her seven-year-old daughter, Scarlet.

However, she tackles other difficult topics, too, singing about depression and bullying without lapsing into self-pity.

‘I wanted an album I’d listen to,’ she says.

‘I’m a grown woman and mother, and a lot has happened in the five years since my last album. It’s all in there, and none of it is too cryptic. I’ll never be a left-field artist, because I write pop songs, but I wanted to be more creative.’

The confessional tone is apparent from opening track Dear Life.

Backed by shimmering piano and crashing cymbals, Melanie sings about fighting her feelings of helplessness: ‘Should I lay back and let the tide wash over me . . . or fight?’

The Spice Girls’ Wannabe it isn’t.

Domestic upheaval and romantic turmoil are addressed on desolate numbers such as Unravelling and the bittersweet Something For The Fire (co-written with London duo Turin Brakes), but not all of the heartbreak songs are down-tempo: recent single Anymore is stridently funky.

Chisholm’s voice, too, has acquired greater resonance.

Always the most technically gifted vocalist in the Spice Girls, her singing has progressed since she starred in the West End production of Willy Russell’s Blood Brothers, and she displays a calm authority here.

Certain tracks, including the closing ballad Blame, suffer from cluttered arrangements that detract from the album’s honesty, but Version Of Me is largely distinguished by an appealing lightness of touch, with Numb a quirky pop number and Escalator an airy, electronic piece.

Saddled with a drab, track-suited image after she signed up to the Girl Power revolution at 19, Melanie C has come of age with her dignity fully intact.

In the Spice Girls, she helped to give pop its voice again.

She now seems to have found her own.

Source
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 06 Nov 2016, 14:50

^ Wow, very flatering review.
Blond Pharaoh

Postby Blond Pharaoh » 06 Nov 2016, 17:36

Yeah Numb shouldn't be on the album but Anymore is perfect and it was the best first single .
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 06 Nov 2016, 19:10

Blond Pharaoh wrote:Yeah Numb shouldn't be on the album but Anymore is perfect and it was the best first single .

Agreed. I put it as a "bonus" at the end of the album in my own re-ordering of the album. I love the album and Melanie C, but sometimes I find the choice of the order doesn't tell a story as much as it can or should. I find I'm often re-ordering the tracks.

Numb COULD have been better if it was a different remix and mixed better with the sound of the rest of the record.
TeddyBear
Custom Title: hit the lights

Postby TeddyBear » 07 Nov 2016, 01:59

^Yeah, i agree... when i saw it on the album tracklist i hoped it would be a different version
goin down

Postby goin down » 07 Nov 2016, 12:48

Numb needs to be where it is in the album because it it ends with 3 ballads and two ballads before .
'all i can tell you is to know who you are'
littleta

Postby littleta » 07 Nov 2016, 14:07

Released: 21st October 2016
Label: Red Girl

The 5th release of her own Red Girl Records label see’s Mel C in full fun mode musically. After always leaning to the pop-rock end of the spectrum, Version of Me see’s Mel go fully electronic with striking results. Starting off with the rousing ‘Dear Life’, Mel weaves weighty subject manner with electronic backbeats and though not an obvious opener, its effective in it build up to give way to dreamy chorus as her distinctive voice shining through. The lyrically provoking tone carries on throughout the album on tracks ‘Something for The Fire’ and ‘Loving You Better’, with the latter incorporating soft jazz saxophones with soft electronic trip hop beats.

Fantastic lead single ‘Anymore’ is perfect simply for making a heartbreak song so happy and funky. She collaborates with Sons of Sonix on ‘Numb’, which sounds like a cross between Chainsmokers and Major Lazer, very tropical-pop. The latter half of the album slows down somewhat without losing quality. ‘Room for Love’ has the best sing-a-long chorus on the album and has a hook reminiscent of Nelly Furtado’s brilliant ‘all Good Things’. The stand out track without any doubt is ‘Escalator’ – with dub beats and 80s synths it hard to resist. It’s a testament to her artistry and intelligence that this album can stand up today amongst her contemporise that are 20 years younger than her. Across the album, Mel C shows that 20 years on she can produce material this good that has something to say.

8/10
Words by George Mcloughlin

source
goin down

Postby goin down » 07 Nov 2016, 15:04

Escalator receiving lots of love
'all i can tell you is to know who you are'
POPsychologist

Postby POPsychologist » 07 Nov 2016, 21:46

Hopefully, with such good reviews, the album will have longevity not only in selling but also keeping her name and music out there. Hoping the next single brings some strategy other than Spice Girls reunion to grab attention.
felx

Postby felx » 07 Nov 2016, 22:26

POPsychologist wrote:Hopefully, with such good reviews, the album will have longevity not only in selling but also keeping her name and music out there. Hoping the next single brings some strategy other than Spice Girls reunion to grab attention.

strategy to talk about SG reunion?????... it wasn't a strategy.....it was the interviewers who asked her the same annoying question all the time.....
Vomiting Porpoise

Postby Vomiting Porpoise » 07 Nov 2016, 22:30

POPsychologist wrote:Hopefully, with such good reviews, the album will have longevity not only in selling but also keeping her name and music out there.

25 --> 146 --> OUT

the reviews are working a treat x

Return to “Melanie C”