Version of Me - Album Reviews (Critics)

Levitate off the ground, getting up, getting down, let me see you post now
Red Boy
Custom Title: On A Mission

Re: Version of Me - Album Reviews (Critics)

Postby Red Boy » 03 Dec 2016, 15:53

Digital Journal wrote:Review: Melanie C is fabulous on her new studio album 'Version of Me'

Melanie C of the Spice Girls (best known as Sporty Spice) has released her newest studio album, "Version of Me", and it is a superb musical effort.

Most impressive about this album is that she co-wrote all 11 songs on there. It was released on Red Girl Records. Version of Me opens on an atmospheric note with "Dear Life," and it is followed by the mid-tempo Escalator," which has a laid-back, retro vibe to it.

Equally fun is the electro-pop lead single, the chart-topper "Anymore." She showcases her sultry and crisp voice on "Something For the Fire." She is able to convey a wide spectrum of emotions in the moving title track "Version of Me."

The groovy "Numb" is a collaboration with Sons of Sonix. Another stand-out track is the liberating "Room For Love." She slows down the pace for the piano-driven ballad "Unravelling," which she sings effortlessly. The mid-tempo "Loving You Better" is comprised of electronic synths, which add to its appeal. The album closes with "Our History" and with the ballad "Blame."

Overall, Melanie C delivers on her latest solo album Version of Me. All 11 tracks are highly eclectic, and there is something in it for everybody. She is not afraid to show her vulnerability as a recording artist. It garners an A rating.

Source
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 10 Dec 2016, 15:10

AllMusic wrote:For Version of Me, her first pop album in five years, Melanie C seems to take several cues from Ellie Goulding. What draws Melanie C to that light is its sleek, urbanite gloss, equal parts pop, R&B, and electronica. Melanie C is a stronger personality than Ellie Goulding -- she's not as dexterous a singer, but that's her appeal -- and the songs on Version of Me also have strong contours: not necessarily hookier melodies, but arrangements that emphasize movement instead of shimmer. Version of Me still tends to collapse into style, grooving on feel instead of song, but Melanie C actually winds up giving the album a bit of a kick. No matter how anodyne and elegant her electronic surrounds are, she punctures their sheen with her earthiness, and that gives Version of Me an unexpectedly nervy heart.

Source
scrabbles

Postby scrabbles » 11 Dec 2016, 01:30

She is also featured in the Top 25 Best Pop Albums of 2016 by Popcrush - great!

Melanie C, Version Of Me

Unwanted Spice Girls trio GEM be damned—as a solo pop star, Melanie C is more than potent enough a Spice on her own, and 20 years following the iconic girl group's debut, she's exactly where she needs to be on Version of Me, a sparkling collection of dark, soaring synth- and alt-pop. Pulsing house-infused tracks like "Anymore" and "Escalator" feel on trend with the current state of atmospheric Top 40 pop without trying too hard to fit in, while melodic, sweeping songs like "Dear Life" and the titular "Version of Me" are quintessential Melanie C at her most lyrically, emotionally and vocally effective.

http://popcrush.com/best-albums-of-2016 ... allery-1=6
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 13 Apr 2017, 16:59

ALBUM REVIEW: MELANIE C – VERSION OF ME

Published On November 21, 2016 | By Michael Smith

It’s been a long time since Melanie C was a part of the Spice Girls, and she’s covered a lot of ground since then. With six previous albums under her belt covering styles from pop and rock to musical theatre covers on 2012’s Stages, she’s come a long way since the girl group pop she was used to in the nineties. Rather than letting Stages define her career, however, she takes her music back in a contemporary direction with her seventh album Version Of Me, and her career’s reaching new heights simultaneously.

While the album varies between songs with a more pop or R&B-focused style, its electronic nature is what defines most of it. The lead single Anymore indicates the style well, with the funky synths that dominate its chorus setting the tone of the song even despite its simpler choruses. Moments like the wobbling dub synths on the chorus of Escalator, the synthetic growl that makes up the bass line in Something For The Fire and the lush arrangement of electronics across Unravelling shine bright thanks to their production, and Melanie’s vocals meld with the songs perfectly. Its less electronic moments, such as the ballad Room For Love and the R&B style of Loving You Better, fit alongside the more upfront electronic tracks thanks to the diverse styles she covers, and nothing really drags the album down.

Perhaps most surprising, however, is Numb. Being the only track to come close to house music, it stands out from the majority of the tracks on the album, but also acts as a heavy focal point for the album. As someone with a hesitation to step into electronic music, Numb showcases why it suits her so well, with her raw vocals sounding perfectly in tune with the deeper beats and near-tropical vibe of the track, cementing her ability to be diverse yet still comfortable handle the new style. It’s a very different direction for her to take, but it’s an experiment that works out regardless.

There’s a major juxtaposition between Stages and Version Of Me stylistically, but if anything that only makes the latter shine brighter. It’s an on-trend collection of songs; one that shows her potential place with electronic music in the future, despite still leaning very close to the pop spectrum, and cements her potential versatility simultaneously. Rather than allowing her career to grow stale after seventeen years as a solo artist, Melanie C takes a stab at something a little different with Version Of Me and easily pulls it off.

4 / 5 stars

Source

Return to “Melanie C”