Version of Me Tour - UK / Ireland

Levitate off the ground, getting up, getting down, let me see you post now
Red Boy
Custom Title: On A Mission

Re: Melanie C UK/Ireland Tour (April 2017)

Postby Red Boy » 13 Apr 2017, 16:49

LIVE REVIEW: MELANIE C – 8TH APRIL 2017 – SHEPHERD’S BUSH EMPIRE – LONDON, UK

Published On April 10, 2017 | By Brendon Veevers

With a career behind her as one fifth of the best selling girl group of all time, several applauded stints on the West End Stage and a hugely successful solo career that has seen her turn out several studio albums over the past 20 years, you would think that former Spice Girl-turned-solo superstar Melanie C would have little left to achieve. Despite all of the success that has come her way, the driving hunger inside of the musician is what has brought her 7th studio release to fruition.

Led by synth-pop toe-tapper Anymore, Version of Me was released toward the end of 2016 and saw the singer, who has previously dabbled in pop, rock and dance and has even dished up a pretty decent stage show covers collection (2012’s Stages), venture deeper into electronic terrain. It proved a fitting genre for an artist who had teased us with successful dance-oriented singles like I Turn To You quite early on in her career.

With more than her fair share of chart successes under her belt, any tour from Sporty Spice is bound to be a hit-filled night of entertainment, as we have been witness to throughout her touring career thus far, and Saturday nights performance at London’s famous Shepherds Bush Empire, a venue that Melanie C has frequented on tour over the years, was no different.

As the crowd were warming up to the arrival of the Liverpudlian superstar, and following a fantastic set from support act Alex Franics, the West London punters were offered an early surprise appearance from fellow Spice Girl, Geri Horner aka Ginger Spice who arrived with friend in tow to a deafening response from thousands of voices cheering her name and taking snaps of the singer who lapped up every ounce of admiration from those below and above with a couple of peace signs offered and selfies taken.

At a little after 8.45pm the lights dimmed, the beat kicked in and the northern star danced her way onto the stage to new album lead single Anymore; the tracks synth-dripping melodies creating an early club atmosphere before offering fellow new album tracks Escalator and Version Of Me; the latter seeing Melanie take to a set of drums to the side of the stage and pound out the tracks rhythmic closing.

“I’m gonna be quite self indulgent”, Melanie confessed to playing the entire new album during the night along with something “a little spicey” which garnered the singer a rapturous applause that could have been heard in nearby suburbs. On that note she continued her journey through tracks from the record which included the pulsating Room For Love and piano ballads Unraveling and Loving You Better, which both came peppered with some of the nights more beefier chorus’; the crowd swaying along with the singer who was dressed in a figure complimenting, shoulder-less and tattoo-revealing black dress, gold belt and a killer pair of shoes that increased the height of the pint sized superstar by at least a few extra inches.

While new album Version Of Me holds centre stage during this current tour, a handful of hits were interjected between the lesser known numbers, giving the set a beautiful balance of new and old; as the musician announced to the crowd, “Is there anyone here who would like to hear an oldie” before swinging into a sweeping, pitch-perfect performance of Northern Star from her 1999 solo debut.

Fellow Northern Star highlight, Never Be The Same Again was a clear highlight within the set; the crowd giving their all in providing the singer with a united backing vocal as she strutted the stage to the tracks infectious rhythm.

As the crowd enjoyed tracks from the new record alongside a small number of debut album highlights, the leading lady delivered a remarkable cover of Rag ‘N’ Bone Man’s breakthrough hit, Human into the middle of the show; declaring to the crowd “I think it’s a bit foolish to do a cover of an artist who’s a really big bastard” before offering a rendition that would make the Brit Award winning creator of the track proud.

Closing the main part of the set, Melanie gave the audience something they had waited for from the beginning of the show when it was announced that something ‘spicey’ would be revealed. With its recognizable beat, it didn’t take long for the audience to pick up on the arrival of the Spice Girls second number one single, Say You’ll Be There. With her former Ginger band mate watching on, Melanie offered the single in solo form; sealing the main section of her set with pure pop nostalgia.

With a performance of Hold On opening the 3-song encore and welcoming support act Alex James back on stage for a mesmerizing duet, the musicians 2011 album, The Sea was perfectly showcased through a punchy performance of Think About It before a burst of lasers welcomed one of the highlights of any Melanie C concert; I Turn To You in all its remixed glory. The track immediately turned the Shepherds Bush Empire into a techno-fueled nightclub as the flooring shook with the crowd dancing to one of the musicians most celebrated hits; ending the night with flawless showmanship.

Dancing energetically for the majority of the show in front of her backing back of four and the stars name brightly lit in changing colours overhead, Melanie’s raw talent and natural charisma owned the show; the singer unleashing various tracks from her new record to a loud and very enthusiastic Saturday night crowd.

Melanie C has long retained the reputation of being THE musician out of her previous Spice outfit having released 7 records and remaining a consistent stage performer, taking to the road frequently to show off her new records and successful back catalogue. Version Of Me is yet another reminder of Melanie’s staying power in pop and her ability to keep her fans satisfied through the supporting stage shows that she, quite frankly, slays! In a space where she has frequented many times during her solo career, including her 40th birthday in January 2014, the Shepherd’s Bush Empire served as a perfect spot to deliver another remarkable set of old and new for her fans who lapped up every note and word from one pop music’s brightest talents.

Set List:
Anymore
Escalator
Version of Me
Room for Love
Something for the Fire
Northern Star
Dear Life
Unraveling
Human (Rag N Bone Man cover)
Numb
Loving You Better
Never Be the Same Again
Our History
Blame
Say You’ll Be There (Spice Girls)

Encore:
Hold On
Think About It
I Turn To You

4.5 / 5 stars

Source
Sam Rogers-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Sam Rogers-Bennett » 13 Apr 2017, 22:30

Nice review. Good description of the gig and he actually did a bit of research instead of writing anything and getting stuff wrong
Snapple Spice

Postby Snapple Spice » 14 Apr 2017, 06:44

Wow! This tour was amazing. I'm so glad I got to go to three shows AND meet Melanie (for the first time)! I'm not quiet sure how I'm going to plan future trips when I know they just can't compete with this one.

I took a ton of pictures and some videos (mostly from Birmingham and Belfast, where I was front row!) that I wish I could figure out how to post here!

If I happened to meet/see you at any of these shows, please shoot me a message! I don't remember everyone's names, but I met a ton of great people and it was so exciting to meet people who are just as big of fans as I am! My name is Heather, and I was one of the crazy people waiting super early (25 yo, black and grey curly hair for those of you who remember faces better than names!).
~I Love Melanie C :)~
CarlosAlmeida

Postby CarlosAlmeida » 14 Apr 2017, 14:27

ParisBurning wrote:I have audio from the London Shepherds Bush but no idea how to share tbh. I was at the Birmingham gig VIP and barrier for the gig so could well have met anyone of you from the Birmingham gig :)

put on https://mega.nz/ and send us the link :)
CarlosAlmeida

Postby CarlosAlmeida » 14 Apr 2017, 17:38

ParisBurning wrote:https://mega.nz/#!kOAyGY4D

Link for audio download of Shepherd bush empire gig

Thanks! :)
Glindathegood

Postby Glindathegood » 14 Apr 2017, 18:41

SourSpice wrote:As if she'd do the more rock songs like Goin Down, When You're Gone, Next Best Superstar during a set that's meant to be electronic. She's always going on about her new electronic sound, it makes sense to do the entire new album of the electronic sound with only a few classic hits that can be done electronically and still sound great.

Good point! I think that's another factor that played a role. Most of the older songs she didn't do are more rock, acoustic and ballads which didn't really fit into the electronic sound.
Glindathegood

Postby Glindathegood » 14 Apr 2017, 18:49

Samuel-Bennett wrote:I agree that if you're gonna go and see someone live and haven't bothered to learn the latest album at least then it's your own fault if you don't know the songs.

I'm going to see Bruno Mars next week. Take That and Olly Murs in June. Steps in November. I've made sure I know their new album's as it's obviously what the tour is promoting so the majority of songs will be from that album

I can see people going to a concert and not knowing the latest album when the singer/band is a huge star and icon with a gigantic number of hits over many decades, and their concerts are an event that people go to just to say they've gone and to experience them once. Examples would be Madonna, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Kylie, Rolling Stones.

A lot of older artists do play sets that only have a few new songs or are mostly from older albums, but that's artists that have a large number of hits and highly selling older albums.

But Melanie C is not on that level. People don't go to experience her as a must see on their bucket list. If you go to see an artist like Melanie C., you would have to know she doesn't have a huge number of gigantic hits. And surely you would check out her latest album?
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 14 Apr 2017, 20:23

Hungy
Admin
Custom Title: DDs resident biatch

Postby Hungy » 15 Apr 2017, 01:13

Hey everyone! Back in Canada after an amazing UK trip. Saw Melanie in Liverpool (VIP), London (I chose to not queue and sit in level 2), and Birmingham (VIP). great to see so many friends and familiar faces! Especially in London, it was chaos, even DenDen Admin Marc was there. I probably saw way more Dendeners than I realized. Remember that with London, the families sit on the sides on level 1 so that's the place to go to celeb-sight.

I did thank Melanie for doing the entire new album in the show, as that's the whole purpose of the tour. She was like: 'I KNOW, RIGHT??????'.

As for my pics, I obviously treasure the erm, "Titanic" one which is viewable publically as my Facebook profile picture: https://www.facebook.com/angiehung It did feel great to have her arms around my stomach.
I'm on facebook now, just search for my name in the Calgary, AB network.
I'm the person in the orange Tigger hat in the picture below:
Rafael_XCX

Postby Rafael_XCX » 15 Apr 2017, 01:31

Masterpiece
Custom Title: Immune

Postby Masterpiece » 16 Apr 2017, 15:57

What a wonderful experience!!

Best five nights of my life, even better than TROTSG. Thanks everyone involved, I had a blast!

Meeting DenDeners is definitely a great part of the experience, it's amazing to be able to actually TALK to people.

My meet & greet experience was beyond the wildest I ever imagined. Simply perfect. Thanks for being such a lovely lady, Melanie!!
King

Postby King » 16 Apr 2017, 22:09

Aurelien wrote:
King wrote:
Aurelien wrote:I saw that she prepared 4 others songs for the tour. Probably for the German tour because one of them is First Day of my Life.

Which are the other 3?

HICA, WYG, NBS & FDOML
I thought some would have been for London, but she did not change the set list.
Anyway, will see for the European tour.

London was a fantastic night :music: i danced from the beginning to the end. :music:

She will probably ditch 4 VOM songs in favour of those 4. Smart move!
Sam Rogers-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Sam Rogers-Bennett » 16 Apr 2017, 23:20

Glindathegood wrote:
Samuel-Bennett wrote:I agree that if you're gonna go and see someone live and haven't bothered to learn the latest album at least then it's your own fault if you don't know the songs.

I'm going to see Bruno Mars next week. Take That and Olly Murs in June. Steps in November. I've made sure I know their new album's as it's obviously what the tour is promoting so the majority of songs will be from that album

I can see people going to a concert and not knowing the latest album when the singer/band is a huge star and icon with a gigantic number of hits over many decades, and their concerts are an event that people go to just to say they've gone and to experience them once. Examples would be Madonna, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Kylie, Rolling Stones.

A lot of older artists do play sets that only have a few new songs or are mostly from older albums, but that's artists that have a large number of hits and highly selling older albums.

But Melanie C is not on that level. People don't go to experience her as a must see on their bucket list. If you go to see an artist like Melanie C., you would have to know she doesn't have a huge number of gigantic hits. And surely you would check out her latest album?

Exactly
Rodrigo
Custom Title: Mexicanspiceboy

Postby Rodrigo » 17 Apr 2017, 21:20

It was truly amazing!

I had a blast on both London and Birmingham! I got to meet some amazing people I´ve read for years and some others that are completely new!
Just watched the online concert… it has nothing to do with the real atmosphere and vibe we were living at being at it! We were on a roll!

Finally meeting Melanie after 20 years, it couldn’t be better. She was truly amazing! Had a nice chat, she was all smiles and positivity. The picture turned out great!

So thanks to everyone that I got to see and talk… I will defo. Go back to see her whenever I can do it! 
But he screams out and echoes all around tonight! :D http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=638081420
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 22 Apr 2017, 22:31

"Going to see her tonight in Dublin and a bit nervous about how empty the gig is going to be. They dropped 20 tickets into our office so clearly eager to get a crowd in."

"As others have noted it was about half full. The gig itself was grand, I never realised what a talented singer Mel was but the set list needed major work. It was far too heavy on the new album and not enough hits, it felt like there was very little momentum when it came to getting the casuals going and to not even perform a verse of When You're Gone felt like a missed opportuntity.

Her 'banter' was also hilariously shit, consisting of 'it's Easter innit! Dead exciting, long weekend, get in!"

These 2 quotes are taken from a poster on popjustice forum. See this is exactly what I meant when talking about the set list. You always get casuals ending up coming along to tours and you have to try to please them more than Melanie did. I mean had she not done a couple of VOM tracks and done a couple of more known songs all her hardcore fans wouldn't care and be back to her next tour even if it was next month. Where as this casual fan would probably not rush to buy tickets next time given he/she's experience.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Postby FiaSpice » 25 Apr 2017, 16:22

Rafael_XCX wrote:April 13th - Dublin: http://www.zigazig-ha.com/zgallery/thum ... lbum=10987

Thanks for posting those links. Great pitures in HQ. It was hard to chose which I use for my own DVD cover!
NotLikeYou

Postby NotLikeYou » 30 Apr 2017, 11:50

Hey Guys!
Can anyone who's done the VIP thing describe what it was like? As in, how many VIP's were there? Did she sign some of your stuff? Could you take a selfie with your own phone?
I'm finally going to meet her in Germany and I'm very curious what it's like!!
chris92

Re: Version of Me Tour - UK / Ireland

Postby chris92 » 30 Apr 2017, 15:30

I will also know because I will be tomorrow
Masterpiece

Postby Masterpiece » 30 Apr 2017, 17:15

NotLikeYou wrote:Hey Guys!
Can anyone who's done the VIP thing describe what it was like? As in, how many VIP's were there? Did she sign some of your stuff? Could you take a selfie with your own phone?

No signing, no hugs, no kisses, no selfies, don't even touch your phone while you're in there. That's what they tell you when you get in. And you'll get a cute lanyard.
chris92

Postby chris92 » 30 Apr 2017, 17:21

No signing booklets cds? :(
Masterpiece

Postby Masterpiece » 30 Apr 2017, 17:26

chris92 wrote:No signing booklets cds? :(

That's what her people will tell you.
NotLikeYou

Postby NotLikeYou » 30 Apr 2017, 18:13

Thanks for the reply Masterpiece! Although I must admit it sounds a bit disappointing.
Masterpiece

Postby Masterpiece » 30 Apr 2017, 18:47

NotLikeYou wrote:Thanks for the reply Masterpiece! Although I must admit it sounds a bit disappointing.

Don't be. I sent you a PM. :dee:
Red Boy

Postby Red Boy » 30 Apr 2017, 18:58

NotLikeYou wrote:Hey Guys!

chris92 wrote:I will also know because I will be tomorrow

Please don't be discouraged by Erick's (bizarre) comments. Here are a few replies I've collected from this thread. Enjoy! ;)

SourSpice wrote:This is basically how my meet and greet went down...

Me: *when I'm told I can go in* OH MY GOD
Me: *when I go in and see Melanie* HI
Melanie: Helloooo! How did I sound during soundcheck?
Me: You sounded amazing! This is my first time seeing you live!
Melanie: Oh my god, really? I hope you have an amazing time tonight!
Me: I know I will!

*photos took*

I thanked her after I got the photo, but I don't think she heard me. I'm so insanely happy right now, she was so lovely in the short time we got with her!

Also I was the first person to go in and see her, and I was so nervous. Now I'm just in a state of shock and bliss that I've just met her.

dentistologo wrote:
Snapple Spice wrote:
dentistologo wrote:The show was really amazing, really centered in VOM (the whole album). She sounded AMAZING, perfect voice! A bit problem at the beginnin' of anymore, but perfect anyway.
I'd still wish she had done some more classics, though :(
Longing to see ya at Manchester
All the oldies with new arrangements were AMAZING!
PS: She was AMAZING with me at the meet & greet, they didn't let her to sign all my CD's, but as i told her I came from very far away, she said that she would keep the booklets and give them back to me at Manchester <3

Wow, that's so nice!

Yes! She was amazing with me. She hugged me when i started gettin' my eyes wet and my voice cracked, then kissed my right cheek and everything was so perfect <3

dentistologo wrote:
~niki~ wrote:
SourSpice wrote:This is basically how my meet and greet went down...

Me: *when I'm told I can go in* OH MY GOD
Me: *when I go in and see Melanie* HI
Melanie: Helloooo! How did I sound during soundcheck?
Me: You sounded amazing! This is my first time seeing you live!
Melanie: Oh my god, really? I hope you have an amazing time tonight!
Me: I know I will!

*photos took*

I thanked her after I got the photo, but I don't think she heard me. I'm so insanely happy right now, she was so lovely in the short time we got with her!

Also I was the first person to go in and see her, and I was so nervous. Now I'm just in a state of shock and bliss that I've just met her.

Congrats! I'm going tonight. So excited! Were you allowed cameras during any of the VIP stuff? The tickets says "not during your time with Melanie", so I'm wondering if they're allowed during the soundcheck. SO happy we can have cameras during the concert!!!

No cameras or phones on soundcheck and meet & greet. They told us that if we were using one, we would be taken off the vip, so don't do it!

dentistologo wrote:She's the most amazing ever!
I just went to the o2 ritz, and talked to the guy who is doing the checklist and photos of the meet & greet, and he gave me back all the albums i gave to her on the meet & greet in glasgow, all signed! She's really amazing!! I feel so lucky! It's not just that she signed them, she touched me, hugged me and gave me a kiss on my right cheeck <3 I love her so much! <3
Now I'm going to the o2 again to enter for today's concert <3
Masterpiece

Postby Masterpiece » 30 Apr 2017, 19:02

Red Boy wrote:Please don't be discouraged by Erick's (bizarre) comments. Here are a few replies I've collected from this thread. Enjoy! ;)

But that's what they TELL people. Not what actually happens. :angel:

Return to “Melanie C”