David Beckham Masculinity

Talk about Becks here
Forum rules
We would kindly like to remind you that due to a request of the Beckhams, pictures of their children are NOT allowed to be posted on the forums!
Emma C

David Beckham Masculinity

Postby Emma C » 02 Jan 2013, 13:32

Hi there.

I am doing a research project on the reconstruction of masculinity.

I wondered what you thought of the influence in which Beckham has on the changes in masculinity, if any at all?

Has the way in which Beckham has dressed, posed in photos, things in has said in interviews had any affect on you?

Do you think the media has helped with the change in masculinity?

Any of your ideas would be great! :)

Thank you! :)
sluttyspice

Re: David Beckham Masculinity

Postby sluttyspice » 02 Jan 2013, 19:56

I live in Canada so I only know of the impact he's had on masculinity/society/pop culture/fashion through what I read online, but imo he didn't necessarily spearhead a movement or anything, but was the face of a growing trend in increased male vanity. I guess the media put the focus on him, apart from obvious reasons like his level of fame or how outlandish his clothes could be, was because he's in a profession that's so macho and masculine, a world away from fashion/getting his hurr did. So people recognized that it was okay to stray from the preconceived notions of masculinity since a celebrated athlete was doing it.
this dress is dry clean only melanie!!!!!!!!!!!!
Emma C

Postby Emma C » 04 Jan 2013, 16:36

Thats great thank you for your input :)
Emma C

Postby Emma C » 07 Feb 2013, 16:51

Hi Guys,

If there could be a couple more posts that would be GREAT please it would really help my research, :) :)

AlvaroSpice

Postby AlvaroSpice » 13 Feb 2013, 00:31

Emma,

In my opinion, David Beckham is a clear example of attitude towards mens fashion and masculinity.
I can only comment from the fashion point of view, I'm not interested in sports.

Remember when he used to wear that long bright blond hair and could wear a Gucci sarong http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 4435314508

and all of a sudden you could see other football players and politicians wearing the sarong to the beach.

It's the fact maybe that being a football player is such a masculine stereotyped profile that really suited David's image at the time, he was also a fashion victim of the 90's wearing the OTT and opulent Versace and Gucci colorful outfits. Nowadays these designers are using hip hop stars to bring that 'over the top' look to coolness.

David's grown and so is his wardrobe, full of Ralph Lauren's Purple label refined knitwear and suits and sporty and high end PRPS jeans,
Emma C

Postby Emma C » 13 Feb 2013, 16:22

Thats great, thank you for your input and very interesting points you have raised.

Thanks.

Emma
ohmarkayam

Postby ohmarkayam » 24 Mar 2013, 02:35

You should ask british men and women, he didnt have any impact with fashion and masculinity in the rest of the world.
Emma C

Postby Emma C » 24 Apr 2013, 14:12

Interesting comment. Thank you for your input :)

Return to “David Beckham”