How to Overcome Sugar Cravings.

Relax with your friends in The Den.... :satan:
Hann
Custom Title: Muppet Master

How to Overcome Sugar Cravings.

Postby Hann » 11 Jul 2011, 01:56

I need to lose weight. And I mean I REALLY need to lose weight. At the very least I need to stop gaining weight as the doctor has pinpointed this as a likely reason for my stopped menstruation (sorry any men reading). Now generally I dont find dieting difficult. In the past I have managed to stick quite rigorously to a healthy eating regime (primarily weight watchers) and I manage to fit a few sugary treats into it, but I never seem to lose weight despite sticking to the diet. Anyway, I have now reached well over a stone above my first year of uni weight (the lower end, but still within the healthy range of the BMI spectrum).

Since the end of uni a year ago now i have stopped playing sports. I was a keen dancer and played lacrosse but there are no lacrosse teams local and all the dance clubs are for (very) young girls. I cant afford a gym membership as I am also unemployed. Now ok, enough with the excuses. I have a serious problem with sugar. I am pretty close to calling it a sugar addiction as I get serious withdrawl when I cant have it. It causes bad mood swings and low points which are comparable with when I was suffering with depression.

so yeah, I am going to try to run or something tomorrow. Im not really sure as I have never really done running before, but I feel like I have to start somewhere and this is all I can think of thats free exercise. But I dont know what to do about the sugar. It is a real problem for me and I dont know how to stop these cravings. I will get migranes, nausia and and feel like crying when I havent had it. I need help. are there any foods that will help to curb the craving without just substituting the sugar?

please help, I dont actually know what to do here. :sad:
=]
Hann

Re: How to Overcome Sugar Cravings.

Postby Hann » 11 Jul 2011, 02:06

I've downloaded couch to 5K by the NHS. Its a guide to start running that you put on your iPod done by the NHS. they talk you through it. you are meant to do it 3 times a week. its a start. I might use this as a diary of how Im doing to motivate me. might work if I know people are watching. I remember someone else doing it and lost loads. haha. right, here we go. please please please I still need your advice on the sugar thing.
=]
Mama Dee
Admin
Custom Title: Mother Denden

Postby Mama Dee » 11 Jul 2011, 10:33

just a quick reply.
why dont u substitute sugar in ur drinks with Xylitol (tesco n sains sells it). its a healthier alternative to aspartame thaat doesnt mess with ur blood sugars, so no crashing.
Hann

Postby Hann » 11 Jul 2011, 11:32

ive never heard of it. thanks dee, Ill do some research on it.
=]
Mama Dee
Admin

Postby Mama Dee » 11 Jul 2011, 11:59

look for Perfect Sweet in sugar aisle or in "free from" section.
http://www.perfectsweet.co.uk/
Hann

Postby Hann » 11 Jul 2011, 15:20

^ I'll have a look out for it. is it the same sort of thing as candarel or is it a totally different product? oh and an update. I did my first run today. Im pretty pleased with myself. It was a 5 minute warm up then 8 60 second runs intersected by 90 second fast paced walks. then a 5 min cool down walk. It may sound useless but it was just about the right amount for me I think. I dont think I could have done much more and the woman talks you through it all the way. I have to do that one another 2 times then move on to stage 2. It says to leave a day between each run so Im not sure whether to do it wednesday, friday and sunday, or whether to miss sunday and just do it the same three days each week. anybody got any ideas?

anyway, Ima go buy some veggies and stuff and make some ratatouille or something because Im starving. Ill look out for that Perfect Sweet stuff whilst Im there. It might be good for use in things like ratatouille which needs a spoon of sugar to make it work.
=]
Hann

Postby Hann » 11 Jul 2011, 22:50

I never went to the supermarket, I had to go get my mom who was ill. Anyway, today went well. I had cereal for breakfast, then ran, then had poached egg on toast for lunch, and grilled salmon with parsley sauce on tagliatelli with veg for tea. not snacked at all but I am having a serious sugar problem atm and Im tempted to get a hot chocolate but make it with water. Its only 3 weight watchers points made with water. I think Ill have it just before bed to settle me because that is when it will really hit me.
=]
Madrigal
Custom Title: Sheerio

Postby Madrigal » 14 Jul 2011, 00:23

Is Xylitol the same thing as Stevia? (I think that's how it's spelled?)
dre
Custom Title: Andrea

Postby dre » 24 Jul 2011, 05:28

As far as the running goes it depends on whether you think having set days to run every week will motivate you or end up boring you. If you do decide to skip Sunday, as long as you get back on track Monday it shouldn't be a problem at all.
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -e.e. cummings
Queenie

Postby Queenie » 26 Jul 2011, 17:46

Madrigal wrote:Is Xylitol the same thing as Stevia? (I think that's how it's spelled?)

In Holland Stevia has on the outside of the package it comes in "dont use internally" they have to do this or else it cant be sold. But it seems much better and healthier then all the other stuff like xilitol and aspartaam cause Stevia is a natural product. I just bought Stevia last weekend cause its recomended in the diet i am using which is a less carbs diet. (people that had type 2 diabetics can even use it and some dont have to take insuline anymore)I also bought the recepie book and stevia is the thing for sweetness!
Madrigal

Postby Madrigal » 26 Jul 2011, 22:26

Good to know! I've heard a lot of good things about Stevia.
Vitalina
Custom Title: Yes I CAN

Postby Vitalina » 27 Jul 2011, 22:56

Are you sure you can't keep your sugary treats but exercise more? I am eating whatever I want (well, I don't get up at 2 in the morning to get a chocolate cake :)), but apart from that, basically anything. I am working out 4 times a week, and I am in a very good shape. Mind you, I am not a super model, and I mgith lose a couple of pounds here and there, but for someone who eats lots of chocolate icecream, I am not complaining :)
And I think you will feel better yourself when you are moving more :) Good luck! :)
Mama Dee
Admin

Postby Mama Dee » 28 Jul 2011, 09:52

xylitol is natural...it's pretty much the same as stevia and better for your teeth, that's why they put it in chewing gum ;)
Queenie

Postby Queenie » 05 Aug 2011, 09:35

^Oh ok,

anyway I try and stay away as much as possible of Aspartaam.

tried Stevia now, and I like it.
Toefje
Banned

Postby Toefje » 08 Aug 2011, 09:27

craving sugar means your bloodlevels are dropping rapidly. After you eat sugar you get a huge peek of energy that drops very quickly. I suggest eating more protein and eat at least something every 3 hours. to keep your blood level stabalized. When you eat carbs always "mask" them by eating protein with it. That way your body absorbs less carbs. Protein has shown in studies to give a more spread out energy trough out the entire day instead of just a huge peek. Hope this helped. I used to be overweight myself and lost 60 pounds by simply eating every 3 hours and no longer eating processed foods and eating stricly organic. I no longer felt drained. I used to wake up feeling like i had no oxygen all night. Now i wake up more refreshed than ever. All my headaces and allergies went away too.
Mama Dee
Admin

Postby Mama Dee » 08 Aug 2011, 17:48

^^^^oh Jillian would love you ;)

congrats! that's exactly the way to do it ;)
krtkkarphillmuk

Postby krtkkarphillmuk » 15 Aug 2011, 08:20

I think once you get into exercising your body will really feel the downside of sugar crashing :)

Try replacing your candy bars with naturally sweetened foods:
- apples, carrots, sugar snap peas..
- or if you need to add to your drinks or baked goods, replace sugar with honey, agave syrup or unrefined raw sugar

I love that candy wrappers announce, "a fat free candy".... sugar is carbs which if consumed more than the daily allotment turn to fat! :)
Madrigal

Postby Madrigal » 15 Aug 2011, 12:54

I LIVE for agave nectar. But it's so expensive. lol
Hann

Postby Hann » 17 Aug 2011, 16:19

Ive never heard of agave nectar. sounds bizzare. and ok, I completely fell off the wagon and went to camp for a month, followed by some travelling, but I will be starting again when I get back from italy next week. I've finally hit 10st. the point I never thought i'd get to. its 24lbs over what I feel I should be. my uni weight is my goal, so the weight I was age 17-19. I havent grown height wise so I presume thats a good weight for me. Im moving back in with my parents in september and they are both on weight watchers so I am hoping it should be easier to get down to my proper weight. The eating every three hours thing is what I wish I could do, but I never know what to eat and end up eating way too much. I am trying to work more fruit into my diet too in order to replace sugar with natural sugars like that. not sre it'll work though.
=]
Mama Dee
Admin

Postby Mama Dee » 17 Aug 2011, 18:44

agave nectar is sold at Tesco/Sainsburys etc...looks just like honey in a squeezy tub thing
krtkkarphillmuk

Postby krtkkarphillmuk » 17 Aug 2011, 18:59

Hann wrote:Ive never heard of agave nectar. sounds bizzare. and ok, I completely fell off the wagon and went to camp for a month, followed by some travelling, but I will be starting again when I get back from italy next week. I've finally hit 10st. the point I never thought i'd get to. its 24lbs over what I feel I should be. my uni weight is my goal, so the weight I was age 17-19. I havent grown height wise so I presume thats a good weight for me. Im moving back in with my parents in september and they are both on weight watchers so I am hoping it should be easier to get down to my proper weight. The eating every three hours thing is what I wish I could do, but I never know what to eat and end up eating way too much. I am trying to work more fruit into my diet too in order to replace sugar with natural sugars like that. not sre it'll work though.

You truly have to set your mind to it and be willing to change your lifestyle. You CAN do it!!!!

The 'little meals' don't mean large, hearty n' rich meals, but snacking smart and healthy throughout the day. And in order to change the 'not sure what to eat' you really do have to plan out your meals so you don't end up going, "what's quick and easy, majorly processed, loaded with salt and sugar and close by me?" :)

The other tough part is having to replace your naturally sugary goodness items on a weekly basis because fruits and veggies don't last very long, but in a way you can plan your grocery list and plan out your meals.

Also keep in mind every body type is different (sadly for us women it's tougher) when it comes to how long and where we lose the weight. Also, the older you get, the tougher it is to lose the weight. But you TRULY need to set your mind to it, you'll get used to your new lifestyle and viola, comfortable with the body, the mind, The Force that surrounds us and binds us and... yeah...

best of luck!!!
Hann

Postby Hann » 17 Aug 2011, 21:05

I have taken all my measurements today so I can see what I lose in inches rather than just in weight, i hear its easier that way so you dont get depressed when you stop losing weight. I'm looking to lose 2 inches off my chest, and 4 inches off my hips. Hopefully running will help with this.
=]
krtkkarphillmuk

Postby krtkkarphillmuk » 18 Aug 2011, 09:03

^^^ exactly! Coz muscle weighs more than fat... so it's better to measure than weigh :)

when you build muscle, you burn fat :)

good luck and best wishes!

Return to “Small Talk”