Why was Emma offended by Virgin's offer to record a demo for second album?

Suddenly the forum came, and then the fans came, and then the talking came, and all the drama came!
Rube

Re: Why was Emma offended by Virgin's offer to record a demo for second album?

Postby Rube » 22 Mar 2017, 11:47

*Babyboy* wrote:I have the first edition..... do you think I need to buy the updated one. What is about?

There are no updates on the second edition, not even the discography. The only thing that is different about it is the cover.
mad_ad
Custom Title: MelanieC all the way

Postby mad_ad » 22 Mar 2017, 13:37

^ i thought they updated it with new bits at the end?Or am i thinking of the paperback versions of each girls autobiography?
Peter

Postby Peter » 22 Mar 2017, 13:49

Am not sure now, think there were some updated chapters and introduction by Simon?

http://forums.denden.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=214522
BootyliciousJosh

Postby BootyliciousJosh » 28 Mar 2017, 09:05

The Spice Girls wrote:I just came across this interview from FM era and in it Emma states interesting thing. Have a look:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/emma-bunton-bringing-up-baby-76018.html%3Famp

Two years ago, Bunton realised that her record label, Virgin, the company that launched both the Spice Girls and her own first stab at a solo career, had gone lukewarm on her future prospects. Despite the number-one success of her 2001 single "What Took You So Long", Bunton and Virgin decided it was time to part company; just as Mel B, Victoria Beckham and Mel C all had, despite also notching up numerous hits, including several number ones.

"They [Virgin] came to me and said, 'Let's do a demo thing for the second album.' And I thought, 'Hold on a minute.' Not a lot of people know this, but I actually walked away from it. We put so much into it, and when they don't give you that support anymore, it's quite heartbreaking," says Bunton. "I said, 'Thank you very much for the demo idea, but I want to take this where I know people are going to be right behind me and work as hard as I do.'"

Was it just because she felt like she was left alone, without the proper guidance and someone managing her career properly? Or did she mean something else? I always thought she was sacked but am not so sure right now.

I haven't read all the comments so forgive me if this was mentioned.

By the looks of it, maybe she had the motown/60s direction already in mind. Virgin knew how her last few singles flopped (as Geri and Melanie C had some good success) and wanted to play it safe so they were ready to hand her songs already in demo form, ready for her to record her vocals. And knowing Emma, she probably wanted to be all hands on this project and not take the easy route.

Lots of labels do this. They see an album or a few singles not charting, so they want/need a hit to make them look good or have a rushed follow up.
ep7210

Postby ep7210 » 02 Apr 2017, 07:04

I think at the time they went solo they were still under contract of the SPice Girls with VIgin, that made them not allowed to sign to other compny. But then by the time they got dropped the spice girls had already split up and lost public interest, so Virgin can cut tie with them individually if they were losing money.

The girls must have high percentage of commission for their first solo album because of their SG status, but their solo project couldn't make such high profit with sales and the high commission...
WhatTheHell

Postby WhatTheHell » 04 Jun 2017, 23:27

ep7210 wrote:I think at the time they went solo they were still under contract of the SPice Girls with VIgin, that made them not allowed to sign to other compny. But then by the time they got dropped the spice girls had already split up and lost public interest, so Virgin can cut tie with them individually if they were losing money.

The girls must have high percentage of commission for their first solo album because of their SG status, but their solo project couldn't make such high profit with sales and the high commission...

An old topic but interesting. If I'm not wrong all the girls got big money as an advance payment from what the first solo albums should have done.
King

Postby King » 06 Jun 2017, 23:20

rusty_nail wrote:Where Virgin truly failed was allowing the insane release schedule the girls wanted. The girls were young...and perhaps weren't the most management-minded. Certainly Virgin could've pumped the breaks on the rapid-fire album releases.

I've never liked the assessment that A Girl Like Me was a bit of a dud album...with What Took You So Long as its only saving grace. Sure, there's filler (hey, She Was a Friend of Mine), but about half of it deserved to be top 5 singles.

We can't forget that in the year span from fall 2000 to fall 2001, four girls released solo albums...five girls released solo singles...and a group album/single was thrown into the mix as well. Can you imagine if One Direction did that today? Four group members AND the group releasing albums in a year? It would NEVER happen. They're managed too well. Literally every major group out there is managed better than this today. What were the girls/Virgin expecting? For one of them to occupy the number one spot for half the year? It wasn't just 'striking while the iron's hot.' It was a strategy that was completely bound to fail. So. A lot of material that could've performed better in a less Spice-heavy year suffered as a consequence.

One Direction is doing it right now aswell. Harry has a new single and album out, both Niall and Liam have their first singles released aswell. Louis released his first single only few months ago. And if we count Zayn, he had an album out last year with a new album out this year. Not to mention he also has a new single out now. So basically all 5 original members have a new single out in a span of few weeks/months. That's how 2000 and 2001 looked in Spice world. So i don't see much of a difference.

OD is basically following everything SG did. After Zayn (Geri) left they released one more 4-piece album and went on to pursue solo careers.
KingOfSpiceWorld

Postby KingOfSpiceWorld » 06 Jun 2017, 23:43

King wrote:
rusty_nail wrote:Where Virgin truly failed was allowing the insane release schedule the girls wanted. The girls were young...and perhaps weren't the most management-minded. Certainly Virgin could've pumped the breaks on the rapid-fire album releases.

I've never liked the assessment that A Girl Like Me was a bit of a dud album...with What Took You So Long as its only saving grace. Sure, there's filler (hey, She Was a Friend of Mine), but about half of it deserved to be top 5 singles.

We can't forget that in the year span from fall 2000 to fall 2001, four girls released solo albums...five girls released solo singles...and a group album/single was thrown into the mix as well. Can you imagine if One Direction did that today? Four group members AND the group releasing albums in a year? It would NEVER happen. They're managed too well. Literally every major group out there is managed better than this today. What were the girls/Virgin expecting? For one of them to occupy the number one spot for half the year? It wasn't just 'striking while the iron's hot.' It was a strategy that was completely bound to fail. So. A lot of material that could've performed better in a less Spice-heavy year suffered as a consequence.

One Direction is doing it right now aswell. Harry has a new single and album out, both Niall and Liam have their first singles released aswell. Louis released his first single only few months ago. And if we count Zayn, he had an album out last year with a new album out this year. Not to mention he also has a new single out now. So basically all 5 original members have a new single out in a span of few weeks/months. That's how 2000 and 2001 looked in Spice world. So i don't see much of a difference.

OD is basically following everything SG did. After Zayn (Geri) left they released one more 4-piece album and went on to pursue solo careers.

Emma's album had a different direction. She was going r&b working with Forever's producers. She had recorded several song with them before scrapping everything after the girls failed to promote Forever.
A girl like me, is filled with forgettable cheesy pop. At the time of Britney and Christina, Emma released a lazy baby album. She was 25. Not 16.
1000 monks. 1000 religions.
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 13 Jun 2017, 14:37

I actually think A Girl Like Me is a solid album. Definitely not as refined as Free Me, but it's not like there was a shortage of singles on this one. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like people would've been disappointed if Emma's debut album turned out to be anything else. This feels like a good starting point for her.
K89

Postby K89 » 17 Jun 2017, 02:01

The Spice Girls wrote:I just came across this interview from FM era and in it Emma states interesting thing. Have a look:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/emma-bunton-bringing-up-baby-76018.html%3Famp

Two years ago, Bunton realised that her record label, Virgin, the company that launched both the Spice Girls and her own first stab at a solo career, had gone lukewarm on her future prospects. Despite the number-one success of her 2001 single "What Took You So Long", Bunton and Virgin decided it was time to part company; just as Mel B, Victoria Beckham and Mel C all had, despite also notching up numerous hits, including several number ones.

"They [Virgin] came to me and said, 'Let's do a demo thing for the second album.' And I thought, 'Hold on a minute.' Not a lot of people know this, but I actually walked away from it. We put so much into it, and when they don't give you that support anymore, it's quite heartbreaking," says Bunton. "I said, 'Thank you very much for the demo idea, but I want to take this where I know people are going to be right behind me and work as hard as I do.'"

Was it just because she felt like she was left alone, without the proper guidance and someone managing her career properly? Or did she mean something else? I always thought she was sacked but am not so sure right now.

That means Virgin didn't want to push further with the album she was working on, rather seeing her release a single off it to "test" the market and see what intrest it would gain(a demo). She was obviously upset because that meant her record label weren't behind her and believed in the project nor wanted to put more money into releasing another studio album.

That's why she left.

And yeah, Geri was with Virgin still while she released Ride It and Passion(which was on Innocent, a company within Virgin for the pop- oriented acts).
rusty_nail

Postby rusty_nail » 21 Jun 2017, 05:57

King wrote:

I wrote that a few months ago and clearly spoke too soon.

I'm not a 1D fan, but credit where it's due. They've managed some US hits...when the solo Spices couldn't manage a single one. I've heard Zayn and Harry on the radio here quite a bit.

I still think with the rapid-fire album releases, the Spices ended up hurting each other. My general thought is that overcrowding approach isn't sustainable for any act...and sales will inevitably have to be hurt. But who knows? It's a different era. Maybe it'll all work out swimmingly for 1D?
Thom
Previous username(s): THOM
memyselfandspice

Postby Thom » 23 Jun 2017, 20:23

i think she was offered: "lets do a demo album and see if we like that or not. if we like it, we can put it out" instead of "lets make an album"
...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness

http://youtu.be/oxRWqirflxk

Return to “Emma Bunton”