Mel B in Chicago Musical (Broadway NYC)

From UK to LA, Todays The Day To Post Away
NearlyCivilized
Custom Title: vegans do it better

Re: Mel B in Chicago Musical (Broadway NYC)

Postby NearlyCivilized » 01 Dec 2016, 05:41

Yeah it's a shame there is no decent quality recordings from her time in Rent. To the best of my knowledge anyways. It's so wonderful to hear her voice in Song For Her, I'd love some new solid material from Mel B.
@jonnyrecord #horror
HellaGeo
Custom Title: HellaGeo

Postby HellaGeo » 07 Dec 2016, 06:19

Something interesting to note that is on the event page when you go to book tickets is that Mel B will NOT be there one weekend (the weekend I'm going to be there... BOO!):

Chicago Cast Members:
Dylis Croman as Roxie (thru 12/27)
Mel B as Roxie (12/28 thru 2/19, but will not appear 01/05-01/11)
Amra-Faye Wright as Velma Kelly (thru 2/19)
Paul Alexander Nolan as Billy Flynn (thru 12/11)
Raymond Bokhour as Amos Hart (thru 4/30)
NaTasha Yvette Williams as Matron "Mama" Morton (thru 1/29)
R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine (thru 3/26)
Kareem

Postby Kareem » 07 Dec 2016, 18:49

I'm gonna be in NYC form 22Dec to 26Dec, such a shame I am gonna miss this :(
rusty_nail

Postby rusty_nail » 09 Dec 2016, 07:52

I'm concerned she's about to get the harshest reviews of her career with this.

Granted, I don't know how often theater critics attend Chicago after so many years...but if this goes south as much as I think it will, word's going to get out.

Mel's not really one to surprise with her vocals.

Rent seemed totally out of her range...and turns out...it was.
Fever on It's a Scary World seemed like the completely wrong song for her voice...and turns out...it was.
For Once In My Life didn't seem like was a song she could pull off live...and turns out...it wasn't.

Now here we are...and Funny Honey, Roxie, and Nowadays seem absurdly wrong for her. Worse yet, she's going to have to carry more of Chicago than she did with Rent.

To be clear, I do think Mel can sing. She'd nail her Spice Girls parts today...and to be honest, the Chicago songs would've been all wrong for her voice even in her vocal peak of 1998/1999.
mad_ad
Custom Title: MelanieC all the way

Postby mad_ad » 09 Dec 2016, 11:19

rusty_nail wrote:I'm concerned she's about to get the harshest reviews of her career with this.

Granted, I don't know how often theater critics attend Chicago after so many years...but if this goes south as much as I think it will, word's going to get out.

Mel's not really one to surprise with her vocals.

Rent seemed totally out of her range...and turns out...it was.
Fever on It's a Scary World seemed like the completely wrong song for her voice...and turns out...it was.
For Once In My Life didn't seem like was a song she could pull off live...and turns out...it wasn't.

Now here we are...and Funny Honey, Roxie, and Nowadays seem absurdly wrong for her. Worse yet, she's going to have to carry more of Chicago than she did with Rent.

To be clear, I do think Mel can sing. She'd nail her Spice Girls parts today...and to be honest, the Chicago songs would've been all wrong for her voice even in her vocal peak of 1998/1999.

100% agree with this.

I tell you what though, I think Emma would be able to do this - and I think it would be really good for her - to be in an ensemble to provide a bit of security and confidence plus finally get to show people she can sing really well.

I hope Mel suprises us all - but yeah, :oops:
AcidBurn
Custom Title: Triple Goddess Three

Postby AcidBurn » 10 Dec 2016, 18:28

I might be wrong, but it also kind of seems like she's just flying in to do the thing without much preperation. Like it's just another gig for her. I imagine that a lot of people would die to get a chance like this, so it makes me feel a bit iffy about it.

I do hope she surprises us all and does brilliantly, though. And I do appreciate that she's doing something that actually involves singing this time :)
Amaranthine18

Postby Amaranthine18 » 11 Dec 2016, 06:33

AcidBurn wrote:I might be wrong, but it also kind of seems like she's just flying in to do the thing without much preperation. Like it's just another gig for her. I imagine that a lot of people would die to get a chance like this, so it makes me feel a bit iffy about it.

I do hope she surprises us all and does brilliantly, though. And I do appreciate that she's doing something that actually involves singing this time :)

Agree. I hope this will inspire to release another music. Might not be a whole album but another single perhaps.
Craig-Rogers
Custom Title: I Am Craig

Postby Craig-Rogers » 15 Dec 2016, 18:47

Found this on Facebook, so it has started being advertised! i would love to see it

Travis

Postby Travis » 16 Dec 2016, 02:21

HellaGeo wrote:Something interesting to note that is on the event page when you go to book tickets is that Mel B will NOT be there one weekend (the weekend I'm going to be there... BOO!):

Chicago Cast Members:
Dylis Croman as Roxie (thru 12/27)
Mel B as Roxie (12/28 thru 2/19, but will not appear 01/05-01/11)
Amra-Faye Wright as Velma Kelly (thru 2/19)
Paul Alexander Nolan as Billy Flynn (thru 12/11)
Raymond Bokhour as Amos Hart (thru 4/30)
NaTasha Yvette Williams as Matron "Mama" Morton (thru 1/29)
R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine (thru 3/26)

I'm thinking about flying into NYC to see this. I don't know much about Broadway, though. Does anyone know if she'll be in the production every day besides those listed above? Or is this the type of thing where she's only in it on weekend nights?
simby

Postby simby » 16 Dec 2016, 18:41

Craig-Rogers wrote:Found this on Facebook, so it has started being advertised! i would love to see it

WoW! I love this!
It's great when they say "Spicing up...something" because it shows how iconic the girls still are, even in America.
And Mel B is the only one who promote the Spice brand these days, has a high profile career, working all over the world, never tired.
Also I'm happy that Victoria has her own successfull career. I wish the other 3 would have done something more, but it's just my opinion.
Samuel-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Samuel-Bennett » 18 Dec 2016, 21:27

Yeah the other 3 are wasted. Melanie C not so much cuz she's done a lot and stuck to what she loves. Emma and Geri though are so disappointing
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 19 Dec 2016, 22:36

Samuel-Bennett wrote:Yeah the other 3 are wasted. Melanie C not so much cuz she's done a lot and stuck to what she loves. Emma and Geri though are so disappointing

I think the 2 Mel's and Vic have done ok and keep the Spice brand looking good. I know Mel C's career is a bit of a flop but her presence through radio 2 and gigs she does singing spice songs keeps the brand out there. I also know Vic is incredibly savvy with what and when she lets herself by associated with the Spice Girls these days, but she does the odd thing to just keep everyone happy and to harp back to the glory days.

Emma is so disappointing, she is absolutely wasted on radio. She could so easily carve out a nice little solo music career. I feel like a covers album with some duets on it released before xmas would be a nice little success for her. She is rarely on TV and when she is it doesn't feel special, she is usually interviewing someone or it not being about her.

Geri has become the ultimate bore, I wonder if she even gets may job offers these days as she doesn't really have any sort of solo career now or any projects to talk about.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
spicefreak
Custom Title: Enjoy the show

Postby spicefreak » 20 Dec 2016, 02:08

Victoria is in a whole other league really. She is just as much A-list in her own right as she was as part of the Spice Girls.

Melanie B has astounded me considering she was easily the most forgotten about Spice only 10 years ago. I might not be particuarly into the TV talent show Spice, however I cannot deny she has made herself into a successful 'relevant' celebrity again in key worldwide markets - UK, Australia and the USA which is particuarly impressive. I hope she does well on Broadway because I feel this will showcase her other talents if so.

Melanie C is doing something she always wanted which was to sing so good on her. She was certainly for a short time the most relevant in the European countries 10 years ago, and she still manages to keep a presence in Europe thanks to her past big hits such as NBTSA, WYG, ITTY, FDOML and also having huge radio hits and to, differing degrees, chart hits with Carolyna, Next best superstar, The moment you believe. She also has a good UK radio presence at the minute thanks to Radio 2 support (best she has had since Virgin days) and her duets with acts like Jools Holland, The Feeling etc singing both solo and Spice Girls stuff at festivals and on TV have helped her keep the Spice brand out there. She has also had far more critical success than Mel B on the stage, she got rave reviews for Blood Brothers (rightly so) and was nominated for the most prestigious stage award (perhaps with the exception of a Tony?) Laurence Olivier Award, then of course JCS was a huge Arena success in the UK and also Australia for which she did win a Whats On Stage Award. Melanie might flop alot now charts wise but I feel her constant dedication to music (she has always in some way been linked to music) actually gives the Spice Girls a little more credibility in that at least one of them managed to stick with what they all claimed was their 'passion.' Performing and music.

Emma is a well known celeb and has carved out a perfect career for herself really. It might not interest me one bit, however I bet she takes home a more than comfortable wage. She is probably the 3rd richest of the lot in terms of what they make now in their current careers. That and the fact it allows her more normality, which she seemed to want after the craziness of Spiceworld, I can see why she is happy to settle doing what she is doing.

Geri upsets me a little. She was easily the most forward thinking one back in the 90's early 00's. From music, to putting on performances/music videos, fitness dvds (yoga), children's books. She has quite alot of successful ventures and deffo had the most out there persona/career. Love her or hate her, her videos/images were far bigger and in your face than any of the other girls. She was on TV for all sorts, she really was such a big star in her own right (UK/Europe wise), however now it seems she either isn't interested in sustaining a celebrity career (which is fine if that is the case and good for her), or she can't get anything for a career... :shrug: Such a change from her star shining so brightly to now. On the plus side she seems healthier and happier than ever before and that is far more important than the rest.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 20 Dec 2016, 18:43

I kinda defend Geri even if I'm bored waiting for music. I mean, she was really a superstar and seems like she did it so she isn't' hungry for fame anymore. She's Happy living a quieter life.

Mel B has changed the most. I mean, she was the least successful, even spotted kissing another woman looking like a mess (not cause of the Kiss but her whole unkept look) and now she's a Hollywood, Kardashian celebrity
...FunkyFresh...
Custom Title: MB World

Postby ...FunkyFresh... » 22 Dec 2016, 17:33

from Mel's instagram, so glad she's doing the straight bob :love:

mrvb_19

Postby mrvb_19 » 22 Dec 2016, 18:31

Let's be honest here. If not for the relationship with Eddie Murphy she won't be thrusted into the Hollywood spotlight. I would say she had grabbed the opportunity to be in US media in every single way and it paid off. Though it's disappointing that she only gets judging and hosting stuff
simby

Postby simby » 22 Dec 2016, 18:41

looks great
sammy01

Postby sammy01 » 22 Dec 2016, 21:07

She does look amazing.
Follw me, you know you want to - https://twitter.com/Sammyb01
tiagohm

Postby tiagohm » 23 Dec 2016, 02:58

Emma Station |
simby

Postby simby » 23 Dec 2016, 19:18

Just read she appeared on the Late Night Show
...FunkyFresh...

Postby ...FunkyFresh... » 23 Dec 2016, 20:53

another interview:

-She's apparently doing NYE Live ball drop in NYC with Carson Daly (I thought Ryan Seacrest had this job)
-Like the Roxie character she used to practice her signature (pre-Spice days) hoping one day someone would want it

...FunkyFresh...

Postby ...FunkyFresh... » 23 Dec 2016, 21:01

mrvb_19 wrote:Let's be honest here. If not for the relationship with Eddie Murphy she won't be thrusted into the Hollywood spotlight. I would say she had grabbed the opportunity to be in US media in every single way and it paid off. Though it's disappointing that she only gets judging and hosting stuff

i disagree. that Eddie drama really put her in a negative spotlight, hyped up by the likes of Perez Hilton media site. What thrusted her was DWTS thats when US accepted her and forgot about Eddie completely not to mention that was right on the heels of the ROTSG reunion.

as a VB fan urself im sure you cant stand it when people say she's only successful because of David... ;)
mrvb_19

Postby mrvb_19 » 24 Dec 2016, 03:07

...FunkyFresh... wrote:
mrvb_19 wrote:Let's be honest here. If not for the relationship with Eddie Murphy she won't be thrusted into the Hollywood spotlight. I would say she had grabbed the opportunity to be in US media in every single way and it paid off. Though it's disappointing that she only gets judging and hosting stuff

i disagree. that Eddie drama really put her in a negative spotlight, hyped up by the likes of Perez Hilton media site. What thrusted her was DWTS thats when US accepted her and forgot about Eddie completely not to mention that was right on the heels of the ROTSG reunion.

as a VB fan urself im sure you cant stand it when people say she's only successful because of David... ;)

I totally accepted that she was successful (in a way) because of David. However, it was she who made David into a global superstar. Yes the Eddie drama put her in a negative spotlight but hey so was Kim K and Paris Hilton and look what they are now. I don't discredit her achievements after the drama. I am just saying that she wouldn't be famous in the US if it didn't happened.
simby

Postby simby » 24 Dec 2016, 11:47

...FunkyFresh... wrote:another interview:

-She's apparently doing NYE Live ball drop in NYC with Carson Daly (I thought Ryan Seacrest had this job)

is it official?
What will she do?
simby

Postby simby » 24 Dec 2016, 12:05

Ok, just read she will co-host with carson Daly on NBC!
I think that's pretty big!

the girls did a performance on NYE in December 1997 but it was for ABC...I still love that performance

Return to “Melanie B”