How does one stop drinking pop?!?

Relax with your friends in The Den.... :satan:
Madrigal
Custom Title: Sheerio

How does one stop drinking pop?!?

Postby Madrigal » 14 Jan 2010, 00:37

I am having the HARDEST time giving up pop. I've already decreased the amount of caffeine I intake. I stopped drinking Coke (unless I'm at a restaurant). I don't have dental insurance so I'm paranoid about my teeth rotting out or something. PLUS, I was watching Oprah awhile ago and Dr.Oz was on, and he said that you can lose 20lbs a year if you stop drinking pop. It just "wow-ed" me.

I guess this is one thing I need to go to start being more healthy. So any opinions would be great!

My next step is to stop drinking coffee. Thank goodness there isn't a Starbucks in a 35 mile radius. :p
Flutey
Mod
Custom Title: DDs Headnurse

Re: How does one stop drinking pop?!?

Postby Flutey » 14 Jan 2010, 00:48

I can't quit coffee... Not because I'm addicted (I can not drink coffee whenever I'm off) but I use it as fuel to work :x

I'm reducing on "pop"... At home I normally have orange juice (natural Tropicana with bits one)... Eventually will change completelly to plain water
Mama Dee
Admin
Custom Title: Mother Denden

Postby Mama Dee » 14 Jan 2010, 01:04

i've pretty much given up fizzy drinks at home, but i will have the odd one if it comes with a meal out. i used to be hooked on diet pepsi...lol!

i gave it up as part of my sugar reduction (pre-pregnancy, i'm using proper sugar in my teas now as Splenda ia actually bad for you and i can't find info to say if Xylitol is ok in pregnancy or not).
once i got in the frame of mind to give it up (i was kinda disgusted at the amount i drank), it was easier to replace those drinks with water.
Mama Dee
Admin

Postby Mama Dee » 14 Jan 2010, 01:05

i will admit to drinking a bit of ginger ale now to help with the morning sickness...yes it's fizzy. but at least i'm not back on the pepsi lol!
Madrigal

Postby Madrigal » 14 Jan 2010, 01:21

I love ginger ale even when I don't feel good! :p
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 14 Jan 2010, 11:39

I haven't nixed pop yet, but I did stop drinking Coke a few years ago. (I'm almost at three years "sober"!) That's actually a big deal, because I have an actual addiction to the drink, and there would litterally be spells where I would drink nothing but Coca-Cola for up to three weeks. No milk, no water, no juice, no Sprite, 100% Coca-Cola. So that was really hard for me to do. Now, I drink mostly Ginger Ale and Gatorade for my "exciting" drinks, and I'm drinking a lot more milk, water and juice as well.

Giving up pop altogether is going to be hard, though. Mostly because everywhere you go, the main beverage they serve is a soft drink, and I always feel like my options are limited when I try to steer clear of carbonated beverages. Also, a lot of places have free refills on pop, but not on things like juice, so obviously pop becomes more appealing as its a better value.

But really, you'll just have to have the will power. My biggest problem with it all was the summers when it was hot out. Nothing refreshes me like an ice-cold Coca-Cola, so my cravings for it get really intense in the summer time.
Anne Rackham
Previous username(s): Analicia/luckyxIII
Custom Title: living a Gypsy life

Postby Anne Rackham » 16 Jan 2010, 13:08

Well, when you find out let me know! I drink way too much soda (about 64 oz everyday :x ). I know I need to cut back as Im starting to get a bit of a "beer gut" from it, but when I try to cut back I get major caffeine with-drawls which means an excruciating headache all day.

I am substituting it more with caffeine-free tea and it does seem to be working a bit. I guess I need to start carrying a bottle of water with me :p
Madrigal

Postby Madrigal » 17 Jan 2010, 00:37

Yeah, I'm trying to substitute with sweet drinks instead of pop. Like juice or sweet tea.
Tiiger

Postby Tiiger » 17 Jan 2010, 01:22

From what I've heard juice is just as bad as pop. Unless you drink juice with 100 % fruit.
Suzanne
Custom Title: Addicted to shopping

Postby Suzanne » 24 Jan 2010, 19:45

I just get a glass of water when I want something to drink. I really like water so it's not that difficult for me. I also drink coke, juice etc.. but not that often. Maybe twice a week or so.. And I also drink tea and milk(not every day)
Lindsey

Postby Lindsey » 31 Jan 2010, 01:16

I can't give it up either. My poison is Mountain Dew; luckily I am able to limit myself to only one can a day, and some days I don't drink it at all. I do drink a lot of water also, though, so I don't feel too horrible about it. I would definitely make sure you're taking really good care of your teeth if you're worried about cavities and enamel erosion and can't go to the dentist regularly b/c of the cost. Floss every day and use enamel strengthening toothpastes and rinse. And yes, when you find out how to quit do let us all know. :laugh:
Jo Spice

Postby Jo Spice » 31 Jan 2010, 01:23

I used to drink Coke and ginger ale ALL the time. I allow myself to drink it only if I'm really craving it. I find that if I'm thirsty and force myself to drink water, I get rid of the thirst and don't even want soda afterward. And if you don't like water, (like me), you can squeeze a little lemon in it and it tastes much better. :D
Galore
Custom Title: Let Them Eat Kylie

Postby Galore » 18 Feb 2010, 06:22

I never drink regular pop, only diet and I have one can of Diet Pepsi a night. I figure that's nothin'. It's water for the rest of the day except for the one cuppa morning coffee.
{the sparkle} the everygirl's guide to the good life: http://www.thesparkle.net
Madrigal

Postby Madrigal » 20 Feb 2010, 09:10

My pop drinking is very up and down lately. I'll go a few days drinking very little, then I'll drink a lot. lol It's weird. Luckily I've been able to avoid drinking Coke as much as I used to. I've switched to Squirt (thank Allison). haha
dre
Custom Title: Andrea

Postby dre » 22 Feb 2010, 00:00

You could always try drinking carbonated water when you're craving something fizzy. A lot of times it tastes kind of nasty, but they do make flavored versions that aren't that bad.
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -e.e. cummings
SpiceWonderland

Postby SpiceWonderland » 26 Feb 2010, 20:13

Granted everybody's different, but I gave up pop years ago and haven't had one since. The first thing I did, was switch to diet pop. KEEP drinking it until you're used to it. Then switch to teas (preferebly diet) and coffees (with little or no flavouring). Then try and go with the caffeine-free beverages. That's how I did it. I still drink coffee and tea, but not much. This may or may not work, depending on if you like plain tea or coffee.
Carl
Custom Title: neuk me lekker ding

Postby Carl » 27 Feb 2010, 15:21

For me it was easier then I thought, we just stopped buying it and started with juice and Brita filtered tabwater. I only drink smoothies and juices that I make myself. If you font have any soda at home you have no other choice then drink water ;)
Also, one big glas of soda contains 40g of sugar which is basicly turns into pure fat if you don't work out...
Carl
Custom Title: neuk me lekker ding

Postby Carl » 27 Feb 2010, 15:22

Oh, and I had a soda the other day when out eating and it disgusted me, it was way too sweet for me!
TXSpice99

Postby TXSpice99 » 03 Mar 2010, 19:03

omg, how funny to see this post since i've also been going without any soft drinks since lent started! really that was my excuse to stop drinking any sodas (including sprite!) but also to be healthier. i haven't had a soda since feb. 17th! i'm so proud of myself and yea it was easier than i thought, but i will admit that when i see a Coke, my mouth waters! :$
Mama Dee
Admin

Postby Mama Dee » 03 Mar 2010, 19:33

we had Diet Coke last night at Nando's...fuck me it was sweet!
it actually tasted like that cheap Cola you got when you were unemployed and couldn't afford proper Coke lol!
dre
Custom Title: Andrea

Postby dre » 03 Mar 2010, 21:33

skitz1, that's actually really funny, because I almost suggested giving it up for Lent if you practiced it. Anyway congratulations!
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -e.e. cummings
Madrigal

Postby Madrigal » 07 Mar 2010, 10:57

I'm still drinking pop, but not as much. Slooowly weening myself off... I'll let you all know how this goes. lol
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 09 Mar 2010, 19:37

I haven't had a pop since last week. I'm finding it difficult to find things to drink! haha.
Anne Rackham
Previous username(s): Analicia/luckyxIII
Custom Title: living a Gypsy life

Postby Anne Rackham » 10 Mar 2010, 09:23

I've been trying to drink other things when I get lunch, so instead of soda I get tea/fruit punch. Been drinking more bottled water (when I can afford it). Tap water here isn't that great, so it is a bit of a forced effort to drink more water haha. I really find it difficult to find new things to drink too.
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 10 Mar 2010, 18:23

Ana Ultra Prime wrote:I've been trying to drink other things when I get lunch, so instead of soda I get tea/fruit punch. Been drinking more bottled water (when I can afford it). Tap water here isn't that great, so it is a bit of a forced effort to drink more water haha. I really find it difficult to find new things to drink too.

You should get a water filter instead of bottled water. When bottled water is heated (which I can almost guarantee it was somewhere in the process between the manufacturer and the store) the bottle releases toxins into the water. Very unhealthy. And just think about that next time you leave your water sitting in the car on a hot day while you go into a store or something. lol.

Return to “Small Talk”