Rearranging the forums - YOUR INPUT IS NECESSARY!

Relax with your friends in The Den.... :satan:
Dennis
Admin
Custom Title: Daddy DenDen

Rearranging the forums - YOUR INPUT IS NECESSARY!

Postby Dennis » 03 May 2012, 22:03

In this topic, several users shared their idea of re-arranging the music-forums of DenDen. The team is a lot in favor of simplyfying things (even going as far as making 1 general music forum where each artist gets 1 big topic, such as the gaga/madonna/aguilera-topics in Small Talk).

But before we decide on anything, we would like to hear everyone's input first - what are your suggestions? Which forums should go, what can be merged, what needs to be added?

Discuss it all in here, and by the input given we'll work out what would satisfy most of the users!
FiaSpice
Custom Title: Not immune

Re: Re-arraging the forums - YOUR INPUT IS NECESSARY!

Postby FiaSpice » 03 May 2012, 22:10

I think "marketplace" shouldn't just be associated with the Spice forums, it could be general, so poeple selling Britney, Lady Gaga (etc.) stuff would post there. I agree that merging the music forum (exept for the Spice forums!) and having artist thread seems like a good idea. That would clear out Small Talk too, hopefullly.
Last edited by FiaSpice on 03 May 2012, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Dom

Postby Dom » 03 May 2012, 22:12

Well I think these should go:

Mariah Carey
Sarah Connor
Kylie & Dannii

There hasn't been any activity in the Mariah forum for nearly two months!
Aurelien
Custom Title: Viva Life

Postby Aurelien » 03 May 2012, 22:17

Why on the Small Talk we havesome topics like Christina, Spears .... Shouldn't be on the music section?
LISTEN TO MY ALBUM
iTunes - Spotify - Deezer - Youtube
Tiiger

Postby Tiiger » 03 May 2012, 22:24

All the sub-forums in Pop should go. They're useless. People post in these big topics instead. But, we could also have a vote, let's say we keep three of the forums and we'll all vote on which ones to keep.

I'd like to add a 90s forum to Pop. We all love music from that decade, why not have a seperate forum for it and enjoy the fun? :Angel:
Lizzy
Custom Title: Rubber Duck

Postby Lizzy » 03 May 2012, 22:33

personally i'd say make the whole 'music' section go, and allow for topics on artists to be in Small talk. as long as the topic about that artist is just the one topic. I mean... I really don't give a shit about for example Britney, so to keep things readable for me i wouldn't like 2131280 threads about her. but one massive 'britney' slow-chat thread is fine. but that's just my personal opinion.

News/parenting/travelling/sports can go too. Movie club, anyone?
Aurelien
Custom Title: Viva Life

Postby Aurelien » 03 May 2012, 22:42

What is the difference between the Britney Spears in the Small Talk and the Britney Spears in the Music section?
It's great that they have they're own section like for the Spice Girls for the Active fans.
LISTEN TO MY ALBUM
iTunes - Spotify - Deezer - Youtube
Dan

Postby Dan » 03 May 2012, 22:42

I don't necessarily think that eliminating the individual artist forums will make things a little more orderly. Although, deleting some forums that really aren't getting any traffic will help things a bit. In a way, it almost makes more sense to me to have certain forums for certain artists because the fans don't always get along, and the actual artist can be subject to some downright rotten trolling. :p
Jamie

Postby Jamie » 03 May 2012, 22:48

Yay, my idea worked :D
Dom

Postby Dom » 03 May 2012, 22:57

I don't think it's necessary to delete all the sub-forums in the Pop forum, as most of them are used regularly (at times, more than the solo Spice forums). Just get rid on the ones that don't get used, lol.
Alec

Postby Alec » 03 May 2012, 22:59

I think all music topics from the Small Talk should go. Each artist should have its own individual forum like now. Some of those can be deleted, some new ones can be added. For example if I want to check on Madonna news, I won't even care to go through 100+ pages of 1 topic to find and read whatever I'm looking for. Having separate forums makes more room for all kind of discussions and news regarding that artist.

I think maybe giving Movies sections a little bit more space since it became quite active for the last 2 years? I mean its sub forum now right, it can be just forum, and some few sub-forums could be added, like ''Games'', ''TV shows'', ''Upcoming Movies'' ''Soundtracks & Scores'' :$ I doubt this will happen though :oops:
Last edited by Alec on 03 May 2012, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Alec

Postby Alec » 03 May 2012, 23:03

And I may sound old, but I'd love to see some less popular (or ''listenable'') artists' forums like maybe Andrea Bocelli, Lara Fabian, Celine Dion, Barry White, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, etc.. :D Thosesomething that will never happen as well :D
JimmyLo

Postby JimmyLo » 03 May 2012, 23:26

I don't really mind DenDen the way it is - but I only check out the Spice Girls sections, that's why I'm here!

So, please keep the Spice Girls section - don't give up on the core of our DenDen culture!
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 03 May 2012, 23:47

I'm on the fence about this, and you can see what I thought of the idea in the original thread, but I will add to that:

My reservation of ridding us of these sub-forums and limiting it to one topic per artist is that it puts a damper of the "fun" artist-specific topics like "Create your own setlist" or even the random polls "Which is your favourite album?" etc. I mean, there really are some topics that you want to discuss that don't really fit within the realm of a general discussion thread. But without limiting the topics to one-per-artist, you're setting yourself up for a messy forum.

I do like the idea of a clean-up, but at the same time, I don't think getting rid of at least some of the sub-forums will necessarily make things better. Some of them do remain pretty dormant. Some of that can be blamed on the threads in Small Talk, but some of it is because that artist is between projects and there's not really much going on.

Maybe just a reorganization of DenDen would work. Maybe consolidating Pop, Rock & Indie and Urban, Club & Electronic into one Music forum would be a place to start. You could keep a number of the artist sub-forums as sub-forums of Music, and place it right below "Small Talk" on the index page to get more traffic flow.

Maybe do something similar with the Spice Girls forum. Instead of having 6 individual forums, make it one Spice Girls forum with 5 sub-forums to clean up the index page.

I would get rid of News. For the traffic it gets, Small Talk should suffice.

I don't really take issue with anything under the "Life" category, but there may be some room for reorganizing it as well.
Paul!
Custom Title: 18...13...9..5..2.0

Postby Paul! » 03 May 2012, 23:57

I think that you need to simplify the forum as a whole.
The Pop/Rock/Indie sections can be merged. The subforums in Pop either go completely (with the exception of artists that have no topic in small talk) or you update them with artists that are popular at the moment. The Life section can be merged with the Denden section.
And it indeed would be nice to have our own marketplace on Denden - maybe it's worth a try!
Samuel-Bennett
Custom Title: I Am Sam

Postby Samuel-Bennett » 04 May 2012, 00:05

Having an artist forum yet having a topic about them in Small Talk is so pointless. People bang on about wanting a forum for their chosen artist then when they get the forum they start posting topics about them in Small Talk because the forum isn't busy enough for their liking. So they put an Ultimate Whoever topic in Small Talk so they can get more people talking about them. So either stop those topics in Small Talk or get rid of the dead forums that no one posts in, I don't see why they get away with it personally.

Also you don't see people posting about Spice Girls in Small Talk, even when a girl isn't busy and their forum is dead.
Andres
Custom Title: HeadBitchInCharge

Postby Andres » 04 May 2012, 00:26

GET RID OF SARAH CONNOR! :p lol jk
Ban everyone who doesn't like Britney... seriously
SpiceFan2008
Custom Title: I JUST WANNA DANCE

Postby SpiceFan2008 » 04 May 2012, 00:54

I think the Sarah Connor section in Pop is wasted tbh.
As long as we keep The Saturdays, Girls Aloud and Sugababes, I'll be happy.

I also think that the archive idea is very good.
Will post more ideas in a couple of days as I'm rather tired...
Jay
Mod

Postby Jay » 04 May 2012, 01:38

Brandamn wrote:My reservation of ridding us of these sub-forums and limiting it to one topic per artist is that it puts a damper of the "fun" artist-specific topics like "Create your own setlist" or even the random polls "Which is your favourite album?" etc. I mean, there really are some topics that you want to discuss that don't really fit within the realm of a general discussion thread. But without limiting the topics to one-per-artist, you're setting yourself up for a messy forum.

In that case, perhaps there could be two sections to a 'Music' forum:

- A main section, where all the individual artist topics are (i.e. like the ones that currently exist in Small Talk).
- A sub-section, for anything that doesn't fit into individual artist threads. For example, Polls, Survivors, Award Ceremony discussions....

I don't think there'd be any other way to combat the current 'Small Talk situation' (i.e. most music discussion takes place in there, rather than in the current music forums). The current artist forums / genre forums are barely posted in, relatively speaking, and it's clear that most members prefer to post in one Britney / Lady GaGa thread, rather than in entire forums designated to them.

Even my beloved Girls Aloud forum ( :p ) which has been the most posted in section over the years... everyone discussed the new Cheryl single in Small Talk, rather than in her own section.
RainbowNerdette
Custom Title: Spice Cadet

Re: Rearranging the forums - YOUR INPUT IS NECESSARY!

Postby RainbowNerdette » 04 May 2012, 01:41

I rarely ever go into any of the boards at the bottom just cause there's too many subforums to click, I'm a lazy B****
. .
They say: "What don’t kill me will make me strong" and I’m not dead.
missb

Postby missb » 04 May 2012, 02:30

id get rid of news,parenting and travel.people can start an artist thread in small talk, if the artist is active the thread will be to. or maybe put the type of music like pop indie, dance together and people can start threads there.
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 04 May 2012, 02:36

If we're adding sub-forums, maybe one for all the X-Factor / Idol / The Voice / Eurovision / _____'s Got Talent type shows would be good? Those often take up a lot of real estate in Small Talk as well.
Becca
Mod
Custom Title: My Name is Green

Postby Becca » 04 May 2012, 02:51

Brandamn wrote:If we're adding sub-forums, maybe one for all the X-Factor / Idol / The Voice / Eurovision / _____'s Got Talent type shows would be good? Those often take up a lot of real estate in Small Talk as well.

I think this is a great idea. Reality TV/Competition Shows.
Brandamn

Postby Brandamn » 04 May 2012, 03:11

Becca wrote:
Brandamn wrote:If we're adding sub-forums, maybe one for all the X-Factor / Idol / The Voice / Eurovision / _____'s Got Talent type shows would be good? Those often take up a lot of real estate in Small Talk as well.

I think this is a great idea. Reality TV/Competition Shows.

Yeah, especially these days with there being so many, and with all these A-Listers being hired to judge or host (Christina on The Voice, Britney at X-Factor, Kelly Clarkson doing "Duets", etc.), there will be a lot of talk.
Charmingspice5
Custom Title: Show Me Love

Postby Charmingspice5 » 04 May 2012, 08:57

I agree that most of the music-forums probably should be deleted. Though I feel a few (Sugababes, Girls Aloud, Saturdays) should be kept since they are fairly active in comparison to other forums even some of the Solo-Spice Forums. I also feel like added a new sub-forum for reality tv/competition shows would be a nice addtion to Denden as well.

Return to “Small Talk”