Why was Emma offended by Virgin's offer to record a demo for second album?

Suddenly the forum came, and then the fans came, and then the talking came, and all the drama came!
Peter

Why was Emma offended by Virgin's offer to record a demo for second album?

Postby Peter » 14 Mar 2017, 17:20

I just came across this interview from FM era and in it Emma states interesting thing. Have a look:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/emma-bunton-bringing-up-baby-76018.html%3Famp

Two years ago, Bunton realised that her record label, Virgin, the company that launched both the Spice Girls and her own first stab at a solo career, had gone lukewarm on her future prospects. Despite the number-one success of her 2001 single "What Took You So Long", Bunton and Virgin decided it was time to part company; just as Mel B, Victoria Beckham and Mel C all had, despite also notching up numerous hits, including several number ones.

"They [Virgin] came to me and said, 'Let's do a demo thing for the second album.' And I thought, 'Hold on a minute.' Not a lot of people know this, but I actually walked away from it. We put so much into it, and when they don't give you that support anymore, it's quite heartbreaking," says Bunton. "I said, 'Thank you very much for the demo idea, but I want to take this where I know people are going to be right behind me and work as hard as I do.'"

Was it just because she felt like she was left alone, without the proper guidance and someone managing her career properly? Or did she mean something else? I always thought she was sacked but am not so sure right now.
PeruvianSpice

Re: Why was Emma offended by Virgin's offer to record a demo for second album?

Postby PeruvianSpice » 14 Mar 2017, 18:18

So she wasn't dropped? Interesting

And both Melanie C and her have now said how Virgin didn't do things properly
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 16 Mar 2017, 20:11

Why did they all go with Virgin for their solo careers? Wouldn't it have worked better to go to another label who could focus on their launch. It seemed they all had solo launches without a lot of input - all just based on being a former spice girl. I think that's were the girls made errors at the beginning of their solo careers perhaps?
Peter

Postby Peter » 16 Mar 2017, 21:26

/\ why wouldn't they, they knew everyone at Virgin, Virgin took care of them all that time and it all went good. No wonders when they had their solo contracts offer they all agreed happily.
mysterious
Custom Title: lets go eskimo

Postby mysterious » 17 Mar 2017, 04:49

As far as I know it was part of their initial contract with Virgin, the 5 of them signed for 5 group albums and at least one solo record each. I'm not so sure about it but that's what I remember.
Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Mar 2017, 05:52

/\ I read that somewhere, too. David Sinclair book perhaps?
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 17 Mar 2017, 12:20

Was geri with Virgin?
Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Mar 2017, 14:14

/\ I think originally she was, like all the other Girls, but when she left and broke the contract she broke both - the group and solo ones.
DannyDirnt

Postby DannyDirnt » 17 Mar 2017, 19:08

mysterious wrote:As far as I know it was part of their initial contract with Virgin, the 5 of them signed for 5 group albums and at least one solo record each. I'm not so sure about it but that's what I remember.

Really? Like, they knew from the very start that they would inevitably have to go solo eventually?
Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Mar 2017, 21:09

DannyDirnt wrote:
mysterious wrote:As far as I know it was part of their initial contract with Virgin, the 5 of them signed for 5 group albums and at least one solo record each. I'm not so sure about it but that's what I remember.

Really? Like, they knew from the very start that they would inevitably have to go solo eventually?

It was around the time of EMA '97, when they sacked Simon:

do-it

Postby do-it » 18 Mar 2017, 18:20

I think it says in the David Sinclair book that Emma was dropped by Virgin and wasn't very happy about it, so it conflicts with her account in that interview.
spiceworldforever

Postby spiceworldforever » 18 Mar 2017, 22:18

RobKelly666 wrote:Was geri with Virgin?

Schizophonic and Scream was with EMI, Passion was with Innocent.

I guess Geri's solo contact with Virgin was voided when she left.
Dave87

Postby Dave87 » 19 Mar 2017, 01:38

Isn't EMI just the parent company? Maybe they transferred Geri to that directly as to not compete/conflict with the girls.
gingerboy

Postby gingerboy » 20 Mar 2017, 01:51

Dave87 wrote:Isn't EMI just the parent company? Maybe they transferred Geri to that directly as to not compete/conflict with the girls.

Yes, she signed with EMI/Chrysalis because it was part from Virgin Records but not directly.

And Emma Reading the book from Bob Sinclair you can see that "A girl like me" for Virgin was a great song (What took you so long?) and 10 tracks with no potential. Thats why they asked to fans what song should be the second single and make a remix for the third
Peter

Postby Peter » 20 Mar 2017, 02:05

gingerboy wrote:And Emma Reading the book from Bob Sinclair you can see that "A girl like me" for Virgin was a great song (What took you so long?) and 10 tracks with no potential.

What? :confused:

I'm sure if Virgin wouldn't like the album they wouldn't let her release it. What would be the point of releasing an album with one good song, hoping that it will keep whole album on the charts whole year or more? They had to have faith in the other tracks too.
rusty_nail

Postby rusty_nail » 20 Mar 2017, 06:31

Where Virgin truly failed was allowing the insane release schedule the girls wanted. The girls were young...and perhaps weren't the most management-minded. Certainly Virgin could've pumped the breaks on the rapid-fire album releases.

I've never liked the assessment that A Girl Like Me was a bit of a dud album...with What Took You So Long as its only saving grace. Sure, there's filler (hey, She Was a Friend of Mine), but about half of it deserved to be top 5 singles.

We can't forget that in the year span from fall 2000 to fall 2001, four girls released solo albums...five girls released solo singles...and a group album/single was thrown into the mix as well. Can you imagine if One Direction did that today? Four group members AND the group releasing albums in a year? It would NEVER happen. They're managed too well. Literally every major group out there is managed better than this today. What were the girls/Virgin expecting? For one of them to occupy the number one spot for half the year? It wasn't just 'striking while the iron's hot.' It was a strategy that was completely bound to fail. So. A lot of material that could've performed better in a less Spice-heavy year suffered as a consequence.
mysterious
Custom Title: lets go eskimo

Postby mysterious » 20 Mar 2017, 14:26

The Spice Girls wrote:/\ I read that somewhere, too. David Sinclair book perhaps?

I guess so, but I'm not sure. They all had in contract the option of releasing a solo album with Virgin from the get go, and by the time they sacked Simon they had arrenged everything. Geri went with EMI because Virgin was owned by them like somebody here mentioned.
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 20 Mar 2017, 20:48

I've never read the David Sinclair book.

It's interesting that it says that Melanie B was running the show after sacking Simon and Geri was a less dominant member by that point.

I wonder who was the 2nd most dominant and if Geri had completely wound down by then?
Peter

Postby Peter » 20 Mar 2017, 23:46

RobKelly666 wrote:I've never read the David Sinclair book.

It's interesting that it says that Melanie B was running the show after sacking Simon and Geri was a less dominant member by that point.

I wonder who was the 2nd most dominant and if Geri had completely wound down by then?

Oh man, you need to read it then, it's a real Spice Bible to me, the best book out there about them! Amazing read!
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 20 Mar 2017, 23:54

The Spice Girls wrote:

Oh man, you need to read it then, it's a real Spice Bible to me, the best book out there about them! Amazing read!

I think I need to where's the best place to get it?
Peter

Postby Peter » 20 Mar 2017, 23:58

RobKelly666 wrote:
The Spice Girls wrote:

Compare the prices on Abebooks, Amazon and eBay and choose the best option;) I think I got my used copy in nearly mint condition (don't think it was even read by the previous owner) for £3.80 (or something along those lines) off abebooks. Postage included;) good luck with finding yours!

Ps: make sure you'll get the updated 2007 edition (it's the pink softcover with June '07 conference pic). The original hardback was published in 2004. Anyway, I would love a new update to that book, it's AWESOME!
Last edited by Peter on 21 Mar 2017, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
RobKelly666

Postby RobKelly666 » 21 Mar 2017, 00:02

The Spice Girls wrote:
RobKelly666 wrote:
The Spice Girls wrote:

Compare the prices on Abebooks, Amazon and eBay and choose the best option;) I think I got my used copy in nearly mint condition (don't think it was even read by the previous owner) for £3.80 (or something along those lines) off abebooks. Postage included;)

addicted2you

Postby addicted2you » 22 Mar 2017, 10:07

What is this book actually called ?
Rube

Postby Rube » 22 Mar 2017, 10:50

The book is called Wannabe: How The Spice Girls Reinvented Pop Fame, but the 2008 edition was renamed Spice Girls: Revisited.
*Babyboy*
Previous username(s): babymen

Postby *Babyboy* » 22 Mar 2017, 11:13

I have the first edition..... do you think I need to buy the updated one. What is about?

Return to “Emma Bunton”