Mel B is broke but how? DM article

From UK to LA, Todays The Day To Post Away
Javi
Custom Title: f.k.a. IER

Re: Mel B is broke but how? DM article

Postby Javi » 15 Jul 2017, 12:26

I can't believe she wants to run away from an abusive relationship and she has to pay him 40k/month. And then some fans wondered why she didn't divorce earlier if he was such a monster. Maybe this is the reason why.

I really can't with this fucked up world. Your husband hits you and makes your life a nightmare and when you try to get rid of him, the law forces you to pay for his lazy jobless lifestyle. So unfair.
-If you really bug me, then I'll say goodbye.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 15 Jul 2017, 17:52

Exactly what I thought!

But oh well, at least she got rid of him
Thom
Previous username(s): THOM
memyselfandspice

Postby Thom » 16 Jul 2017, 08:30

she can appeal, right?
...And They Have Escaped The Weight Of Darkness

http://youtu.be/oxRWqirflxk
tommie

Postby tommie » 16 Jul 2017, 10:55

SomeonesBaby wrote:Surely if she's paying him $40k a month, she must make many times that amount per month?

Indeed since alimony is based on what you earn. I think the limit is 40% of their income is the max, but I really doubt that he's getting the max amount all things considered.
Andreas
Custom Title: Alpha Male.

Postby Andreas » 16 Jul 2017, 12:47

Javi wrote:I can't believe she wants to run away from an abusive relationship and she has to pay him 40k/month. And then some fans wondered why she didn't divorce earlier if he was such a monster. Maybe this is the reason why.

I really can't with this fucked up world. Your husband hits you and makes your life a nightmare and when you try to get rid of him, the law forces you to pay for his lazy jobless lifestyle. So unfair.

That's the US for you. So happy to live in a country that still practice common sense.
Agent_Spice
Custom Title: Escrow Spice

Postby Agent_Spice » 19 Jul 2017, 00:23

I understand it seems absurd that Mel has been legally ordered to pay Stefan $40,000 a month but there are several factors to keep in mind.

Mel only included her allegations of abuse in the divorce proceedings - she didn't pursue criminal charges previously. If she had, the outcome could have potentially been different. Therefore, this is the first time that these charges are being addressed in a court of law and in the United States, a person is innocent until proven guilty so the abuse claims (which Stefan has publicly denied) are legally just claims from Mel at this point. Stefan has also probably realized that he can't do anything in the court of public opinion besides a denial so he might be saving whatever leverage he has for court so the judge might have more information than we do.

Additionally, TMZ reported that the judge could have awarded Stefan $15,000 more per month so he could have been potentially been receiving $55,000 per month. Even if Stefan was awarded half of what Melanie earns a month (we'll speculate that Mel makes $110,000 a month so yearly $1,320,000). I'd wager that Mel makes that from America's Got Talent alone and she has a number of other investments that pay off so she's not as destitute as has been reported. She also probably has a number of expenses that are associated with AGT but the judge would have received that information before making a decision.

The intent of spousal support is to ensure that both parties ending a marriage are no worse off as a consequence of that marriage. Imagine a young couple gets married, has children, and one half of the couple elects to take a lower income earning part time position to be available to raise the children. The marriage ends and the one half of the couple that sacrificed their ability to earn their full maximum potential for child care has difficulty obtaining a job. Should that person not be compensated for the sacrifices they made for that marriage?

The argument for spousal support does appear to become grossly distorted with higher earning couples (especially in this case where there's a private island involved) and you have parties asking for monthly support that is a large percentage of many people's yearly incomes. However, it is based off percentages and in this case, based on what has been presented to the judge, Stefan is allowed to receive that amount of money. Should there be a significant change (Mel is fired from AGT or Stefan marries an heiress), the amount would obviously be amended.

Mel went into this marriage with eyes wide open after her own spousal support issues from her divorce with Jimmy. This mess could have all been avoided with a prenuptial agreement. It has also been reported that Mel B receives child support for Angel from Eddie Murphy in the amount of $51,000 a month until Angel turns 18. So while it seems absurd that Stefan could receive $44,000 a month - she receives $7,000 more a month from a man that she wasn't married to.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 19 Jul 2017, 01:34

i know you're right and i know (in a way) Mel is a bit to blame (not for the physical abuse but) for not beeing more cautious with her money after her problems with Jimmy.

i still think other matters should be taken into account like if u had a husband who is aggressive like Stephan... he should get SHIT!
mel2vicem

Postby mel2vicem » 19 Jul 2017, 02:10

She will have to follow through with her abuse claims otherwise she could be paying him every month for the rest of her life
Filip

Postby Filip » 19 Jul 2017, 11:57

What a mess... I really hope Mel proves all the allegations against him and gets away from this marriage with most of her hard earned money. We all know Stephan was not a "househusband" who sacrificed his career to take care of the children while the wife was at work. He used her, spent her money on luxurious lifestyle, alienated her from her family and was a horrible husband. If there's any justice, he will not get away this. As for Mel, I don't blame her for spending the money (it's hers to spend after all), but after her costly divorce from Jimmy, she should've had a 100 page pre-nup ready for a lifetime!
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 19 Jul 2017, 16:42

what I never liked was when Stephan gave her an island as a present... hmm, well it's Mel's money so it's like she bought it
...FunkyFresh...
Custom Title: MB World

Postby ...FunkyFresh... » 19 Jul 2017, 21:10

PeruvianSpice wrote:what I never liked was when Stephan gave her an island as a present... hmm, well it's Mel's money so it's like she bought it

she bought him the island.
PeruvianSpice

Postby PeruvianSpice » 19 Jul 2017, 22:10

Oh I thought it was the other way around... oh well

Thanks
FarAway

Postby FarAway » 19 Jul 2017, 23:32

But reading another article (posted on the SG main forum) it looks like the judge said that the amount could change, after the hearing about the abuse allegations (that happens in 15 days), so maybe that's not final.

Return to “Melanie B”